FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Cellphone camera CCD size





Tony The Tiger
It seems very difficult to determine the CCD size for cellphone cameras. What is the CCD size for a BlackBerry Torch 9810?
badai
try again. google for APS (active-pixel sensor) instead of CCD.
Tony The Tiger
badai wrote:
try again. google for APS (active-pixel sensor) instead of CCD.


I have learned a great deal learning the difference between APS (active-pixel sensor) and CCD (charge-coupled device). However, knowing the difference is not helping me for two reasons. The first reason is that google seems to think I am misspelling the plural form of the word app. Its search results are full of app and apps. The second reason is that CCD sizes are meaningful because they are compared to the 24mm x 36 mm size of the old 35mm film cameras. However, it is unclear that the size of an APS is relevant on the CCD image sensor format size scale.
badai
obviously, you haven't read enough. it's just technologies. a meter of wooden ruler vs a meter of steel ruler is still a meter length. one is cheap ruler used to struck kids more than to draw line on blackboard, the other used on designer table to draw building's plan. both of them still a meter length nevertheless. only the price and who uses them are different. but they both can be use for the same purpose, albeit a jagged wooden ruler might not give a good result.

same as APS and CCD, both are sensors. one used in cheap devices or to cut cost, the other used in high end gadgets.

i was hoping searching for APS would help you end up on page that give you sensor size for phone's camera. since you didn't: it's 1/6" (2.40x1.80mm) for 5MP.
Tony The Tiger
badai wrote:
same as APS and CCD, both are sensors. one used in cheap devices or to cut cost, the other used in high end gadgets.


Yes they are both sensors. I am not convinced that they are as similar as you make them out to be.
badai
again, obviously, you haven't read enough.

click on thumbnail to enlarge.



Tony The Tiger
badai wrote:
again, obviously, you haven't read enough.

click on thumbnail to enlarge.





Why does the fact that an active pixel sensor is an alternative for a charge-coupled device mean that they are the same thing?
badai
yes i see your point. wooden ruler is not the same as steel ruler. yet i saw them as the same because of their usage.

Quote:
same as APS and CCD, both are sensors.


this clearly about functionality. they are completely different. my mistake.
Tony The Tiger
badai wrote:
yes i see your point. wooden ruler is not the same as steel ruler. yet i saw them as the same because of their usage.

Quote:
same as APS and CCD, both are sensors.


this clearly about functionality. they are completely different. my mistake.

QR code scanners and bar code scanners are both sensors serving nearly identical purposes but they are not the same. Why are these two sensors considered the same?
badai
maybe because bar code scanner is obsolete and QR scanner can also scan barcode.

but they are totally different.

congratulation. you already won arguing 2 times.
Tony The Tiger
badai wrote:
maybe because bar code scanner is obsolete and QR scanner can also scan barcode.

but they are totally different.

congratulation. you already won arguing 2 times.

Yes a QR code scanner is far superior to a barcode scanner. Bar code scanners are not obsolete. Virtually every store that I go to still uses them. Like the QR code to the barcode. The CCD seems to be a far superior technology to an APS device. Superiority of one device over another does not make that other item obsolete.
noodle
thx for the improtant info about the diffrence between barcode scanner and QR code scanner .Im currently working barcode scanner programming with the suppoert of barcode reader generating sdk in .NET.

Im planning to create QR code scanner directly.
Related topics
Unpacking the iPod (with video)
Help-Digital Camera selection
TCL Products
Digital Photography
What Digital Camera do you have ?
Any suggestions for a new cellphone?
HD Camcorders
What do you like to carry inside your car?
Amazing concept! Looking for guides!
If you own an iPod/whatever mp3 player, answer this! =p
Listia - An awesome way to give and get free stuff
Cell phone cameras
Video: Tea Party hero Santelli freaks out
Safety issues in South America
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.