FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Faith Ministry, How Does it Work

nickfyoung
Before I met my wife in the Philippines she had been involved in her local church. They gave her a suburb where she lived to look after and she would walk those streets every day knocking on doors and ministering to people. She did this full time for 12 years as an unpaid faith ministry.
She had no income at all except for an occasional small handout from the church. She relied on those she was ministering to to supply her meals as she worked and to supply her some food to take home for an evening meal. She brought up two teenage daughters through this and never went totally without.
Often there would be no power because she was behind paying but they would cook outside on a fire. Often there was no evening meal for her and her kids so they ate fruit off the trees in the garden.
So for 12 years she visited the people in her suburb, comforting those in need, praying for those sick and generally being a friend and made many friends in the process. She saw lots of people healed and some miracles as she was faithful in her ministry. Who sustains such a ministry. Is God in control and supplies all your needs.
Dialogist
Sounds like she'd have lived relatively comfortably without two mouths to feed, unlike in the west, where people procreate dependents to claim more feed for their mouth. I'm a strong believer in God having your back but your missus sounds like a pretty strong and determined individual and I think God helps those more who show willing and make the effort. You take the first step, He carries you ten. I know God supplies the needs of non believers too. I have a friend who is a starving (western usage of the word) artist and he watches every penny. He has all the church coffee mornings, christening and prayer group days marked out across his town and attends them pretty regularly for sustenance (the other kind).
Hello_World
I have a lot of respect for your wife who actually acted on her beliefs. She is a strong woman.

God did not supply her needs. She supplied her needs through her own strength and resilience.
nickfyoung
Dialogist wrote:
Sounds like she'd have lived relatively comfortably without two mouths to feed, unlike in the west, where people procreate dependents to claim more feed for their mouth. I'm a strong believer in God having your back but your missus sounds like a pretty strong and determined individual and I think God helps those more who show willing and make the effort. You take the first step, He carries you ten. I know God supplies the needs of non believers too. I have a friend who is a starving (western usage of the word) artist and he watches every penny. He has all the church coffee mornings, christening and prayer group days marked out across his town and attends them pretty regularly for sustenance (the other kind).

This was all after she came out of the Catholic church and got 'saved'. The two kids now are grown women and wonderful examples of Christians. They were both married in their late twenties and saved themselves for their husbands. a fairly rare feat in the west these days.
nickfyoung
Hello_World wrote:
I have a lot of respect for your wife who actually acted on her beliefs. She is a strong woman.

God did not supply her needs. She supplied her needs through her own strength and resilience.

She tells the story once of being behind in her electric bill payment and went into the office to plead for more time. The guy behind the desk asked her how she was going to pay it. She replied, "My God shall supply all my needs".
The power stayed on for some time until she was able to pay it.