FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Depressive world

lucascoelho
Sorry to those I may have scared with the title, but I couldn't come up with anything better.

That's the exact discussion I wanna propose here: how depressing life is getting and how widely open to mental illnesses and many other conditions!

I had the chance to watch tonight the last minutes of a documentary that motivated me writing this: "boy interrupted", about an allegedly true story of a boy who committed suicide on his 15's for not being able to cope with a bipolar depressive disorder.

Conditions like this and may others such as ADHD (attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder), panic disorder, autism and so on have always been around, but it seems to me that our modern crazy world is taking those conditions to the edge, and beyond! Everybody is stressed so often and so easily, we're all under pressure of many natures, even little kids, everything and everyone want more and more our attention, our devotion, our patience. Even what was (in my opinion) supposed to help us, as computers or other devices, end up taking more from us, psychologically speaking, than helping us.

I'm in no way saying that technology and modern life cause those conditions... but I keep wondering if many people who have been through tough situations like the one portrayed on that documentary couldn't have had a better, "normal" life, if things were simpler and easier, as before...
lucascoelho
Oops... I ended up focusing on stress on modern world and forgot to say at least a feel lines about the initial topic proposed by the documentary (although for me everything relates deeply!).

The film/ documentary is about an extreme clinic depression condition. I understand many factors may take to that condition and his case in particular might have no relation to anything else on modern society, but I'd like to point out some issues I'm concerned with.

In our extremely-open-minded world, I fear we're lacking some basic values. I'm not at all for repression, overcontrol, anything like that, but some boundaries usually help, ain't it? Family values, (self-)respect, appreciation of life and how wonderful it is... We're all getting on the path of the here-and-now way of life, the superfluous things, shallow relationships... Well, I guess one needs no theory or magic to see it can very easily lead to a depressive state. Summed up with any other condition or predisposition, as a genetic one for instance, if there is so, may respond for the increasing number and gravity of those conditions and their sad and tragic consequences.

Would someone agree with all this? Does at least any part of it make sense?

BTW: for those who'd like to discuss the film itself, there's a post specific for that: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-142196.html
loveandormoney
lucascoelho wrote:
Sorry to those I may have scared with the title, but I couldn't come up with anything better.

That's the exact discussion I wanna propose here: how depressing life is getting and how widely open to mental illnesses and many other conditions!

I had the chance to watch tonight the last minutes of a documentary that motivated me writing this: "boy interrupted", about an allegedly true story of a boy who committed suicide on his 15's for not being able to cope with a bipolar depressive disorder.

Conditions like this and may others such as ADHD (attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder), panic disorder, autism and so on have always been around, but it seems to me that our modern crazy world is taking those conditions to the edge, and beyond! Everybody is stressed so often and so easily, we're all under pressure of many natures, even little kids, everything and everyone want more and more our attention, our devotion, our patience. Even what was (in my opinion) supposed to help us, as computers or other devices, end up taking more from us, psychologically speaking, than helping us.

I'm in no way saying that technology and modern life cause those conditions... but I keep wondering if many people who have been through tough situations like the one portrayed on that documentary couldn't have had a better, "normal" life, if things were simpler and easier, as before...

Depression has a strong relationship with relationships and how You treat Your relationships.
deanhills
lucascoelho wrote:
In our extremely-open-minded world, I fear we're lacking some basic values. I'm not at all for repression, overcontrol, anything like that, but some boundaries usually help, ain't it? Family values, (self-)respect, appreciation of life and how wonderful it is...
Definitely agreed. And with this young people seem to be bored all of the time. Could be because both parents need to work, so children have to look after themselves, and grow up much faster. All of the TV that they are watching while their parents are at work can't be good either.

I think there are two things that really do help with depression (for those who are not clinically depressed) and they are being passionately busy with something one really loves to do, and regular exercise in fresh air, the kind of exercise that one loves doing.
loveandormoney
Good morning. There are no young people, who are bored. Often adults, 40 years and older are bored. The young people are hitten and insulted. That is the reason, why they feel bad. And then their are parents who force their children watch TV often 3 hours or more, even when they are 6 years old or younger.
Working does not make depressive, also children with parents with no job, they are in danger to become depressive.
Also people without job are in danger to become depressive.
Or does all studies of universitis lie?

Sports and action are a good way to stop depressive sports.

I wish You a relaxed weekend.