FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Increase the Performance

cybersa
What are thing you will do to Increase the Performance of game?
Such as Video Resolution,Texture Quality,Shadow quality etc....

Just now i installed Need for Speed Run in my Laptop.(Dell Inspiron N4050 with 4GB Ram).
I have some slowness during gameplay frequently.
It make me to anger.
Any Idea?
Josso
The main problem you have there is getting a laptop to do a desktops job. You need proper cooling amongst other things like not having a mobile version of a card (they are, a lot of the time useless).

I have extended the life of my ancient graphics card just by messing with fan speeds at certain temps. Unless you get a high spec laptop which is ultra pointless and expensive for most people. I get a ghz more off my CPUs just because of my case and it's fan positioning. Also I want to point out I've seen a 10C temp difference just through cleaning my machine out - that's another thing to think about.

Did you try putting it down to minimum? What are the minimum specs of the game I'm guessing if you are above them? See I could probably run UNDER the min specs with a properly setup machine. Also these days what you could also try is changing graphical properties that they don't list anymore in the actual game, like for example check if you can limit the FPS to 30 or something by going in program files and finding where the graphics settings are. And there's the obvious of closing everything on your system - find out if there's anything eating up memory whilst you are in game. Go through task manager and see what are the worst offenders and work out what they are. You'd be surprised how much crap might be running especially if it's not just you that uses that machine.

Grab ATITool or something like that (but be careful with it!) you can check that your card isn't permenantly screwed with the artifact test. Fun fact I have two machines with the same graphics card in them one is a laptop and can no longer even play videos, especially 720p and was never really much cop. This other can play GTA IV on mediumish settings with so yeah specs aren't specs basically when you are talking about laptops (especially dreaded computer companies like dell).
Ankhanu
Which GPU is in your N4050?
Quote:
Video Card

Intel(R) HD Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6470M 1GB

If it's one of the Intel ones, you're SOL. If its the AMD, you might be able to tweak it a bit to get better performance.
zimmer
for gaming i go for AMD.

well, when it comes to performance powerful hardware will take care of that..
cybersa
@Ankhanu
AMD Radeon HD 6470M 1GB
Can you help for tweaking?
william
There's one key bit of information missing here. Are you playing on battery power or are you plugged in? Most likely if you're using stock drivers and Dell's stock configuration, the GPU will underclock quite heavily when not plugged in to conserve battery power.
cybersa
Same experience while playing on Battery and Charger plugged in.
ghanster
Get a better or advanced graphics card, and a game booster application!
cybersa
At last i overclocked My Laptop's Graphics card.
Now i experiencing good result when compared to previous result.
siemens13
I have been playing the king of fighter 2010 from last one month. but its matter of sorrow that i can't improve my performance in this time. so how i improve my performance?
Tuvitor
Be sure to kill off all the crap in your system tray that's taking memory and CPU cycles away from your games.

Of course, even better is to set the programs you install to not run on startup... though some things insist on putting in crap that runs all the time. Like Itunes. MSConfig is a good basic tool for configuring your OS startup. More free memory and less stuff using the CPU should result in a better/smoother gaming experience.
cybersa
Tuvitor wrote:
Be sure to kill off all the crap in your system tray that's taking memory and CPU cycles away from your games.

Of course, even better is to set the programs you install to not run on startup... though some things insist on putting in crap that runs all the time. Like Itunes. MSConfig is a good basic tool for configuring your OS startup. More free memory and less stuff using the CPU should result in a better/smoother gaming experience.

Nice tips.
But i already did that.
No problem helpful for newbies Wink
sysna
I do not recommend overclocking a GPU in a laptop because most of the times in most of the laptops cooling system is shared between GPU and CPU so there is only one FAN connected to a big heatsink going through your GPU as well as CPU.

This cooling system is really weak for overclocking and can damage your gpu if you overclock it, at least if you are going to overclock your laptop change the fan with a higher speed one !
cybersa
sysna wrote:
I do not recommend overclocking a GPU in a laptop because most of the times in most of the laptops cooling system is shared between GPU and CPU so there is only one FAN connected to a big heatsink going through your GPU as well as CPU.

This cooling system is really weak for overclocking and can damage your gpu if you overclock it, at least if you are going to overclock your laptop change the fan with a higher speed one !

Yeah,That is correct.
I have the changed the laptop.
Now it has Nvidia Geforce GT 630M