FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Prevent your pet from eating from unhealthy sources

ghanster
I have a little dog which is less than a month old! My last pet died from food poisoning and right now i am thinking of training the current one to eat and drink from only his bowl, and not from the floor or any other place?
badai
that would be hard. what can you do is lock it in a room and put around poisonous food on the floor. the poison must react immediately. it will learn not to eat anything on the floor.
ghanster
that way wont it eat the poisonous substances?
badai
ghanster wrote:
that way wont it eat the poisonous substances?

damn... forget to put inverted comma. can someone spell out what this "poisonous food" is all about to our new member. welcome to frihost by the way.

i know it might be hard to find, or might not even exist, but you get the idea. the dog will learn it will hurt to eat food on the floor. i just hope you don't give it real poison.
ghanster
I get it! I wont give it real poison, but I don't think I will get such stuff over here!

Does anyone have any alternative?
ocalhoun
It will be very difficult -- it's in a dog's nature to eat any random edible-smelling thing it happens to find.

One thing I might suggest is putting some of its normal food on the floor, but flavoring it with some powerful hot sauce. (Dogs don't like peppers!) It will try to eat the food on the floor, but will quickly learn that floor food tastes bad.

Then, you give it some food in its bowl to reinforce that bowl food tastes good. Then just rinse and repeat, using all kinds of wonderful (but hot sauced) dog treats on the floor (and outside, and anywhere else you don't want the dog to eat).
With that being reinforced enough, the dog should hopefully learn that food only tastes good when it comes from a bowl.

Naturally, that means that any treats or table scraps would then have to also be fed in a bowl, or it will subvert the training some.

As with any kind of animal training, consistency and patience are key.
ghanster
ocalhoun wrote:
It will be very difficult -- it's in a dog's nature to eat any random edible-smelling thing it happens to find.

One thing I might suggest is putting some of its normal food on the floor, but flavoring it with some powerful hot sauce. (Dogs don't like peppers!) It will try to eat the food on the floor, but will quickly learn that floor food tastes bad.

Then, you give it some food in its bowl to reinforce that bowl food tastes good. Then just rinse and repeat, using all kinds of wonderful (but hot sauced) dog treats on the floor (and outside, and anywhere else you don't want the dog to eat).
With that being reinforced enough, the dog should hopefully learn that food only tastes good when it comes from a bowl.

Naturally, that means that any treats or table scraps would then have to also be fed in a bowl, or it will subvert the training some.

As with any kind of animal training, consistency and patience are key.

Thanks! This looks great, but not easy! I'll try my best
ateawonton
be especially careful with small dogs, I have a pomeranian, everywhere I read I'm advised not to feed him anything besides what he's supposed to eat, which is canidae, I break that rule every now and again, which is probably why he gets sick.
Manualguidadex
Good luck ghanster, it's a very hard goal to achieve.

I have a boxer and it eat almost everything similar to food: paper bags of McDonalds, dead rabbits, birds... It is inside your brain Rolling Eyes