FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is using paypal the best way to receive online payment?

tkcy
Is using paypal the best way to receive online payment? Or do any of you guys have better solutions? Thanks.
yupeng
I think that it is the truth.
If you want to buy something or receive payment in the internet,paypal is the best and the fastest way to do those works
Lonewolf
If you want to recieve then Paypal is the best solution but im not sure about spending.
n0obie4life
It would be if there weren't any

Paypal scammers that Bondings hates too
Helios
Well, for example me. I want to buy a domain but I want to keep my identity in secret. I also don't want t reveal my home address and phone so I just created a paypal account. Now all those sites and services that you can get money from(for example google's AdSense) can send money to my PayPal account and i'll pay for the domain also using PayPal.
That way my ID won't get reveald and everyone will be happy.

=|
James Bond-007
It is the most secure transaction over the Internet, and thats what I worry about the most, really.
gh0stface
I don't really trust PayPal after a bad experience with them. They decided the 1000 dollar I had in my account was somehow an illegal transaction even after I deposited into my bank account. So when I had a balance of $0.00, they decided to make up for it and give me a balance of $-1000.00. They then tried to hound me with some collection agency on me however I didn't cave and they just froze my account.

I'm not the only one with bad experience. There are various others who've had trouble with PayPal. You can read them at www.paypalsucks.com .

Although, since that dilema, I've been able to make up a new account but have been wary of using it for anything. So if you do use PayPal, use with caution.
deedee
Definitely PayPal...
You can do lots of stuff with it...
A big + is that you can buy things on EBay!
Bondings
Helios wrote:
Well, for example me. I want to buy a domain but I want to keep my identity in secret. I also don't want t reveal my home address and phone so I just created a paypal account. Now all those sites and services that you can get money from(for example google's AdSense) can send money to my PayPal account and i'll pay for the domain also using PayPal.
That way my ID won't get reveald and everyone will be happy.

=|

And I always thought you had to fill in your phone and home address in adsense. Wink

But yeah, if you don't want to give away your cc number and other details, then paypal is the best solution.
Helios
Well, I use a fake phone number and address.. but thet doesn't matter anyway. I just want pure internet money transfer when I need it.
izcool
PayPal is one of the most trusted online payment websites there is, since it's owned by eBay. PayPal used to be an independant company before eBay acquired it. Before eBay acquired it, eBay owned one called Billpoint, which was replaced by PayPal and closed down. They're still in business, so it looks like a lot of people trust them.

- Mike.
SunburnedCactus
I am very suspicious of them, particularly the fact that they are entrusted with financial information which could result in serious problems if they don't act properly.

Also reading that website didn't help...
WiaWeb
Pay pal screwed me out of money. i ordered something, and it never came and paypal charged. i whent too then and told them and they said i was lying and that i culd never use their service again. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Sad Sad Evil or Very Mad
moejoe
Yes, it is. Dont send out your CC number to anyone xcept paypal.

Honostly, i would never put my CC number on the internet now that i have seen hackers in action. The can into certain sites and take pplz CC numbers and sec codes.

Man Some hackers should make a living working for paypal instead of hacking it, they'll get more ligitament money from it.
jinn666
Ive had no problems with paypal. Funds can be sent instantly. As a security measure, users will need to verify their correct shipping address & bank account numbers before certain transactions can take place.
gonzo

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

Quote:
Can PayPal hold my money with no explanation? The answer is YES.
Can PayPal freeze my account for no reason? The answer is YES.
Can PayPal take money out of my account without my knowledge?
The answer is YES.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Quote:
According to PayPal accepting their ToS (Terms of Service) in effect means you waive your rights to credit card consumer protection laws if you want to use their service, and that you may not issue a chargeback for unauthorized use of your credit card and PayPal account, or if you do, then they have the right to limit your account.

http://www.aboutpaypal.org

Quote:
PayPal Provides you with a PayPal Account and not a Real Merchant Account. Your money is deposited into a PayPal account, which PayPal Controls, rather than your own bank account. If PayPal even wonders for a second about the validity of a transaction, they can Freeze Your PayPal Account Immediately and suck all your money out. They can even pull your money directly out of your personal bank account, many times without even a phone call or e-mail. If you think PayPal treated you unfairly and want to dispute their decision, You Will Be At Their Mercy as PayPal plays the role of the Investigator, Judge, Jury and Executioner in all issues regarding your account. (You agreed to all of this, when you signed up.)

Sound fair? We don't think so.

Explaining your version of what happened, in most cases seems to make no difference. They will refuse to provide you with detailed information from their investigation and will not disclose documents they relied upon to make their decisions.

You should expect to wait At Least 6 Months Before You See Your Money Again. In some cases, the wait time can exceed 6 months and run into a shady Grey area, where "Never" Seems To Be A More Realistic Time-Frame.

If you want to complain about it, Paypal seems more than happy to give you the run around with Terrible Customer Service including extra long hold times, delays, and dead-end auto-responder e-mails like this one:

[Thank you for contacting PayPal. We apologize for the delay in responding to your service request.

After review, the decision has been made to keep your account locked. This decision cannot be appealed.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email.]

accept online payments:

http://www.free-merchant.com/

Just fyi:

Sites/companies ebay bought:
Verisign ($370million) (which also owns Weblogs.com)
Paypal ($1.5billion)
Skype ($2.6billion)
Craigslist (25%, ? amount)
Rent.com ($415million)
Half.com (?$)
FairMarket ($4.5million)
Eachnet ($180million)
Shopping.com ($620million)
Mobile.de (German auto classifieds site $149 million)
Prostores (Not entirely sure on this... I'm trying to find the details.)
Korean Internet Auction Co. (IAC) ($325million)
Baazee.com ($50million, India auction site)
Carad.com (?$)
Kijiji.com.cn (?$)
Butterfield & Butterfield (and then later tossed it) $235 or $260million
Kruse (and then later tossed it) ($150million)
Bondings
So tell me gonzo, which payment processor would you trust? I would rather trust paypal then put my CC number on a random website. A website isn't that hard to hack, by the way. It's much harder to hack paypal.

I'm not a paypal/ebay fan, but at the moment it is the most used payment processor and the best option for websites. And of course, with millions of transactions, there will be complaints. And just like with people getting kicked out of adsense, most of the time the user who complained was in fault. An anonymous user on a forum doesn't always tell you the truth. (but yes, there are always exceptions)
adwya
I think

cretid card

Laughing

i s the best
Davidgr1200
Paypal is pretty reliable, but then again they take a large cut for small payments. I tend to use it teh first time I pay someone so that I don't have to reveal my Credit Card number to them. This means that if you accept Paypal you have a better chance of getting some money.
nappa
n0obie4life wrote:
It would be if there weren't any

Paypal scammers that Bondings hates too

I believe we can sort out this people very easy if we careful enough. Paypal still the best after all and because people using it worldwide so those scammers also appear.

I believe that all famous services has same kind of problem.
silverdown
Technically it it up to the user of the service, there are many services out there like it however i think paypal is pretty safe.
eljormaz
I have bought some items using paypal and it has revealed as a fantastic way to do it. I would say it is very good. Actually, to buy some credit in Skype and stuff like that, it is pretty good!!
Liu
Nearly a two year necro
imagefree
gonzo wrote:

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

Quote:
Can PayPal hold my money with no explanation? The answer is YES.
Can PayPal freeze my account for no reason? The answer is YES.
Can PayPal take money out of my account without my knowledge?
The answer is YES.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Quote:
According to PayPal accepting their ToS (Terms of Service) in effect means you waive your rights to credit card consumer protection laws if you want to use their service, and that you may not issue a chargeback for unauthorized use of your credit card and PayPal account, or if you do, then they have the right to limit your account.

http://www.aboutpaypal.org

Quote:
PayPal Provides you with a PayPal Account and not a Real Merchant Account. Your money is deposited into a PayPal account, which PayPal Controls, rather than your own bank account. If PayPal even wonders for a second about the validity of a transaction, they can Freeze Your PayPal Account Immediately and suck all your money out. They can even pull your money directly out of your personal bank account, many times without even a phone call or e-mail. If you think PayPal treated you unfairly and want to dispute their decision, You Will Be At Their Mercy as PayPal plays the role of the Investigator, Judge, Jury and Executioner in all issues regarding your account. (You agreed to all of this, when you signed up.)

Sound fair? We don't think so.

Explaining your version of what happened, in most cases seems to make no difference. They will refuse to provide you with detailed information from their investigation and will not disclose documents they relied upon to make their decisions.

You should expect to wait At Least 6 Months Before You See Your Money Again. In some cases, the wait time can exceed 6 months and run into a shady Grey area, where "Never" Seems To Be A More Realistic Time-Frame.

If you want to complain about it, Paypal seems more than happy to give you the run around with Terrible Customer Service including extra long hold times, delays, and dead-end auto-responder e-mails like this one:

[Thank you for contacting PayPal. We apologize for the delay in responding to your service request.

After review, the decision has been made to keep your account locked. This decision cannot be appealed.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email.]

accept online payments:

http://www.free-merchant.com/

Just fyi:

Sites/companies ebay bought:
Verisign ($370million) (which also owns Weblogs.com)
Paypal ($1.5billion)
Skype ($2.6billion)
Craigslist (25%, ? amount)
Rent.com ($415million)
Half.com (?$)
FairMarket ($4.5million)
Eachnet ($180million)
Shopping.com ($620million)
Mobile.de (German auto classifieds site $149 million)
Prostores (Not entirely sure on this... I'm trying to find the details.)
Korean Internet Auction Co. (IAC) ($325million)
Baazee.com ($50million, India auction site)
Carad.com (?$)
Kijiji.com.cn (?$)
Butterfield & Butterfield (and then later tossed it) $235 or $260million
Kruse (and then later tossed it) ($150million)

Well there may be thousands of victoms of Paypal but the thing that make the above sites biased is that they show a problem and then imediately provide a solution in the shape of Paypal alternative and this thing affects the validity of the sites and the complaints in those sites by paypal mambers.

If those site contain just articles telling about the Paypal scam and not giving any other alternative neither recommending any other service, i will surely consider it reliable, but nnot under these circumstances.

Do you agree FriHosters????
eljormaz
ough! I did not know about all of this! sounds worrying! but, I think I will give it a try (I mean, continue to use it, since I did not have any problem...)
Indyan
Paypal is definitely the most popular option. It is one of the oldest services. Others like EMO came and went (bankrupting many people), but PP is still here. Its also known to be less prone to misuse than services like e-gold.
Google Checkout came in with a splash but so far its adoption has been pretty slow. For the time being paypal remains the king.
[FuN]goku
IMO there isnt really a 'BEST' way for anything, Only really good ones Smile

Though paypal is supposed to be secure, ive heard of them ripping people off before.
Like the took $100 out of a friends account, and gave him crap about it.
J-Evil
I have a paypal account but I only use it really for renewing my online game subscriptions lol. Haven't had a problem with it at all (yet), but this topic is making me wonder if I should stick with it or change over to something else like e-gold...
Tatsumaru
I've lost 300 euros using PayPal. Granted, some things were my fault - I lost my password and everything - but they were very unhelpful in recovering the money, even after sending them all the stuff they asked for. Ah well.

So yeah, I don't like PayPal much anymore Laughing
saratdear
I would say yes. I don't use it too much myself, personally, but everywhere you go, it seems to be the most popular option everywhere I go online.

As for them ripping off your money, I do not know. Since you give them your bank details, you are at a certain amount of risk. But they can't do that to everyone, or they could not be this popular. Also, considering it is one of the best ways to pay on most popular online shopping sites, I would say go with them.
tempdbs
Hopefully Paypal is the best.

More reliable and safe to get it from PAypal only... I am using Paypal only for doing all Net - Money transcations.....
Guelila
Well I had never had any problems with PayPal so far, but I do agree that there are many complaints about them.. Confused
crimson_aria
I've never tried paypal but I'm about to do so. Hopefully, I won't experience those crappy incidents. Y__Y
eku53ru
From my limited experience with online shopping (I recently got a credit card, haha), making monetary transactions with PayPal is pretty safe. While I have heard horror stories about things going wrong, I have yet for anything to happen to me. A lot of sites support PayPal, and if you already put your payment information in your account, you can make payments with a few single clicks.

I think there's a site devoted to how bad PayPal is (the worst-case scenario things that have happened before); I have forgotten the URL, though.
skygaia
I'm not sure that Paypal is good or not but I don't have any choice to use Ebay.
Usually Ebay sellers accept major credit card issued by Canadian or American companies. I'm not a canadian and american. So I have a visa card but it is issued in korea. I can't this card directly to use someting ebay.com. But I can use this card with paypal. So it's very good for me...
yo.hassan
aah.. paypal is like windows.. everyone says that they hate but yet they use it. paypal may not be perfect but almost everywhere excepted..
pieman
I've never personally had any problems with PayPal, but reading the paypalsucks.com website has made me think a little bit about what would happen if one day I did. Poor customer service is something that really annoys me - and in fact I think I'll start a new thread for the members of Frihost to name and shame those companies to avoid.

But so far with PayPal I've bought and sold lots of things from various websites (mainly eBay) with no problems. It's much quicker than posting a cheque, waiting for it to clear, and then getting your item a couple of weeks later.
fx-trading-education
One problem with people is that in many countries you cannot receive money;For instance i live in Estonia and I can pay but not receive money and that is a big limitation.
With MoneyBookers for instance I don't have this problem.
Does anybody have experience both with PayPal and MoneyBookers and how do they compare?
driftingfe3s
Personally I haven't had a problem with paypal, but there are many people who have. If you want to learn more about paypal's suckyness go to : http://www.paypalsucks.com/
raine dragon

Many of the people here are web developers. So, I challenge you, look at paypal from the other side of the screen. Not the user side, but their side.

Everyday countless people try to hack them, steal from them, scam them.
Everyday countless people using their site fall prey to scams.

Which is better? to give the innocent person's money away to the scammer because the scammer claims to be innocent and you can't prove it, or to lock it, and at least know that it can't run away until you figure it out?

No business wants to harm their customers. It's stupid. A business wants a good reputation, and happy customers.

Because of the nature of what paypal is doing (Internet + Cash) there are going to be a lot of unhappy people no matter how they handle things. you could make a whole paypal sucks site using only the stories of the scammers who didn't get away with it.

You could make a whole money sucks site with the stories of innocent people who have been scamed out of cash in the real world.

Where do we draw the line? Is it fair to blame a company for protecting its self? I'm not sure it really is fair at all..
Zombie
I have used them to send and recieve online payments. I find paypal to be an easy solution to entering your credit card number and personal information on every site you wish to purchase something from. I have also used paybycash on a few occasions although it was done through paypal as well.
lethaltriad
I've been using paypal but not on anything that expensive.. just to buy my domain or collect orders from people from different countries. So far its been a good experience, safe and havent had any problems with them yet. Have only done about 5 transactions with them so far.
sgonzales
i was always against paypal because of security issues, but having using it for a while i can really say it is easier than easy to use and very convenient.
Aless
Another personal endorsement for PayPal. I have used them off and on for several years, usually for the odd eBay sale, and they are reliable & safe. They do take a chunk of your profit, unfortunately, but I don't think it's an unreasonable amount. For lack of viable alternatives, PayPal is safe and the number one choice out there to allow you to receive bank & credit card payments.
Hunterseaker
I think paypal works great, also to make profit on a creative way.
You just have to see your paypal account as a playground with digital money.
Here is how it goes: You create a paypal account, then you sign up for google adds and money clicking program's. now you can earn some money. When you have enough money earned you can start buying small thing on ebay and sites like that, and then try to resell it for a higher price, just to make some profit. When you can't sell it with profit, try again.... you haven't lost any real money, only the money you've earned with some stupid clicking program's.

and further it is great that you don't have to give your cc number to all different companies and people....
gibbo
as far as i know it is the best its what i use anyway they charge like 25p in the uk for transferting to ur back at least i think thats what they do
erlendhg
izcool wrote:
PayPal is one of the most trusted online payment websites there is, since it's owned by eBay. PayPal used to be an independant company before eBay acquired it. Before eBay acquired it, eBay owned one called Billpoint, which was replaced by PayPal and closed down. They're still in business, so it looks like a lot of people trust them.

- Mike.

Oh really. I didn't know that PayPal is owned by eBay.
Have never used PayPal, since I am not old enough Sad
Though, I have heard very much positive about it Smile

Apropos eBay,
(quite off topic, I know, but still...)
Have any of you heard Weird Al's parody song about eBay?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HYokLWfqbaU
dangerdog
paypal's kind of tricky - it's definitely the most convenient way to accept payments online but they are crooks. a lot of it is in an effort to protect consumers from people ripping them off, but with a blatant disregard for the party on the other end. they are very quick to lock accounts once someone has reported an issue with you (it just takes one person to cry wolf), and should they choose to give that person a refund of their money and it is not currently in your paypal account, they will take it from your bank account.

you would like to think that if you're honest you have nothing to worry about, but that's not really true with paypal. you probably don't, but there are a few things you can do to still use paypal and protect yourself from it. use a secondary bank account to attach to the account, get a paypal debit card (which works at ATMs and allows you instant access to your money instead of waiting 3 or more days for it to be transferred to your account), and if you aren't selling merchandise make sure that the payments are submitted for a service rendered. just don't leave a lot of money in the account if you do a high volume - less chance for something to go wrong.
rlzd
I think it's a pretty good way to pay money over the internet. It's safe, fast and smart!
Can't really see anything bad with it.
windrei
the point is, can you think of another way better than paypal.... i think it is...... i always use it to pay for the items i buy in ebay, very convenient. It can automatically change different countries' currency for me. What i need to do is just simply clicking a button.
SlowWalkere
I've been using eBay and Paypal for four or five years now.

As an eBay seller, Paypal is by far the safest and most convenient way to receive payment. No waiting for checks to clear. No worrying about checks bouncing. Easily trace-able to the buyer, unlike money orders. The fees are minimal and similar to what a regular credit card handler would charge you. It's the only way I accept money, and I don't deal with buyers who don't use it.

As a buyer, I also love Paypal. I can get a Debit Card, and use it to buy Real World things. I can safely buy things online, without divulging my credit card information (and a much higher debt liability). If a seller attempts to scam me, I can go through the Paypal dispute resolution and get my money back.

Which brings me to the final point.

People claim Paypal is evil because they can "take money from your account without reason." Chances are, they have a reason.

Paypal, like any credit card company, can reverse a charge when a merchant cheats a consumer. If I pay you $200 in good faith and you never send me an item, you're damn right that $200 is coming back out of your account and into mine.

I've never had a complaint with Paypal. I've had disputes settled amicably. They've never "taken my money." As far as I'm concerned, it's the safest and most convenient option for online transactions.

- Walkere
FirecrackerLabels
Paypal is the easiest way for seller to collect money but when you do you better follow their policies when it comes to documenting your shipping because if something gets lost or you run into a crooked buyer who claims they did not receive the item you better have the right paper work. Items valued less then $250 can be sent thru USPS using delivery confirmation and they will accept that as proof of delivery but if the item is worth over $250 you MUST use Signature confirmation or Paypal will side with the buyer every time.

It does not matter if you sent the item Registered insured which has to be signed for all the way thru the delivery process and you can prove it was delivered Paypal will not listen and will always side with the buyer unless you can show with an online service that the item was signed/delivered to the confirmed address of the buyer. The green cards (Return Receipt) that you can get and are mailed back to you with the buyers signature is no good, Paypal requires that they can check online that the item was delivered or they will always side with the buyer.

Another thing is you must send it to the confirmed shipping address registered with Paypal or they provide no protection for the seller at all from a charge back. You can actually set up your PayPal account to not accept a payment unless it includes a confirmed shipping address. I have heard first hand accounts of some of the big problems you can have by not following Paypals procedures and it always seems to end in the seller taking the loss.
quex
THREE YEARS LATER:

I'm asking the same question as the original poster. :) Paypal and Google Checkout currently have the same rates, but I haven't heard nearly as many complaints (or experiences, period) about Checkout. Anyone using it? Has Paypal improved in recent years? (It doesn't sound like it, from what I've gathered on the open net.) And what is (was?) E-Gold?

Help and advice, please oh please. ^^
goutha
Three years later, yes paypal still the best way to receive money on the net!
quex
goutha wrote:

Seriously? Well, I'm hoping they've at least cleaned up their customer service in the past three years. Anybody have any newly-developed alternatives...?
k_s_baskar
goutha wrote:

If you are going sell Digital goods (goods which you can't able to show delivery proof) then i seriously suggest to NOT go for paypal. I loss nearly $500 due to chargeback from user.
Insanity
I think it's the best available method of payment online at the moment, though it does have it's flaws. There are alt6ernatives, but they aren't as widely used as Paypal, such as Google checkout and such.
Shadowninja7194
lol ok...any transactipn is NOT SAFE. Any program, server, site can be compromised. Your best luck..stick to major transaction sites like e-bay.
goutha
You sold a digital good for 500$ ?

I know that it's a problem with paypal and that may people try to faud the system, but I don't sell digital goods.

What was the digital good that you sold for 500$ ?

You could have used escrow.com for that!!!

k_s_baskar wrote:
goutha wrote:

If you are going sell Digital goods (goods which you can't able to show delivery proof) then i seriously suggest to NOT go for paypal. I loss nearly $500 due to chargeback from user.
jaidenscott
Fraudulent emails is definitely a problem for Paypal. I’ve been fooled by one myself once because like your story Aitch, it came at a time when I expected to get an email from Paypal.

If you are new to Paypal make sure you are 100% certain an email if from Paypal before clicking any of their links. You should never get a genuine email asking you to update your records or verify your account because of suspected fraudulent activity. Those are both standard paypal email scams (you can look online for more).
goutha
jaidenscott wrote:
Fraudulent emails is definitely a problem for Paypal. I’ve been fooled by one myself once because like your story Aitch, it came at a time when I expected to get an email from Paypal.

If you are new to Paypal make sure you are 100% certain an email if from Paypal before clicking any of their links. You should never get a genuine email asking you to update your records or verify your account because of suspected fraudulent activity. Those are both standard paypal email scams (you can look online for more).

I don't see any problem with those emails. The idea is never send personal informations by email and never connect to your bank account or paypal account throught an email link. Just type the address yourself, and you'll never be fooled.
Bikerman
Oh really? So you never send any personal information via email? I would say that makes you a very rare person. I certainly do, and I'm more aware of the risks than most. I haven't fallen for any email scam to-date but I don't particularly pat myself on the back for that.

I'll tell you one MAJOR problem with scam emails in general - even if you think that it is caveat emptor and don't have any sympathy for the pensioners and less-savvy people who have been robbbed of millions.
One major problem is that Nigeria is an up and coming economy with many great entrepeneurs who simply cannot get their businesses off the ground. As soon as anyone sees an email from Nigeria they think NOPE and bin it - even when it is from a legitimate business. It must be consting legitimate businesses HUGE amounts in lost business.....
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
Oh really? So you never send any personal information via email? I would say that makes you a very rare person. I certainly do, and I'm more aware of the risks than most. I haven't fallen for any email scam to-date but I don't particularly pat myself on the back for that.

I'll tell you one MAJOR problem with scam emails in general - even if you think that it is caveat emptor and don't have any sympathy for the pensioners and less-savvy people who have been robbbed of millions.
One major problem is that Nigeria is an up and coming economy with many great entrepeneurs who simply cannot get their businesses off the ground. As soon as anyone sees an email from Nigeria they think NOPE and bin it - even when it is from a legitimate business. It must be consting legitimate businesses HUGE amounts in lost business.....
Laughing I wonder whether the UK is to follow soon? I haven't received a scam e-mail recently from Nigeria, but seem to be inundated with ones from England, or is it Nigeria possibly waking up and using other countries for aliases, England being the closest they could come up with?
Bikerman
You can tell that from the headers - lookup email headers.

As far as english scams - it is important to be clear that I am talking about scams, not spams - ie fraudulent attempts to get your money, not adverts for viagra and the like. I don't think too many such scams originate in the UK because we do have some fairly hefty sentences for such things..
genchev
I prefer moneybookers, but most of the world use paypal. I hate the huge fees!
Bikerman
Actually I use credit card, wherever possible, for on-line transactions. That is by FAR the best way to pay, because the consumer credit act means that if you DO get ripped-off then the bank pays, not you.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
You can tell that from the headers - lookup email headers.

As far as english scams - it is important to be clear that I am talking about scams, not spams - ie fraudulent attempts to get your money, not adverts for viagra and the like. I don't think too many such scams originate in the UK because we do have some fairly hefty sentences for such things..
I was also talking scams. And yes, I have been able to pick up e-mail addresses, but they are usually Yahoo, Hotmail etc., when you check on it. Whereas of course the e-mail address displayed is a company e-mail address. Like they would take the Volkswagen e-mail address that is VW, and make it Volkswagen.co.uk (it would show the latter but of course when one clicked closer it would be a common Web address). Even if they had a .uk behind the Yahoo, one can easily register a UK Yahoo e-mail address from anywhere in the world, including Nigeria. I'm almost certain those scams are operated from outside the UK.
Bikerman wrote:
Actually I use credit card, wherever possible, for on-line transactions. That is by FAR the best way to pay, because the consumer credit act means that if you DO get ripped-off then the bank pays, not you.
I was unaware of this. I would imagine credit cards would have similar rules like that internationally? As I also use my credit card only, but usually try my best to check out whether the place I purchase from is safe (as much as I can of course, because in reality one can never be 100% sure).

I'm curious. At what stage is a person vulnerable for a virus? I.e. only when one downloads an attachment, or right at the start when one opens the e-mail message? Or is the opening of the message protected by anti-virus software?
Bikerman
deanhills wrote:
I was also talking scams. And yes, I have been able to pick up e-mail addresses, but they are usually Yahoo, Hotmail etc., when you check on it. Whereas of course the e-mail address displayed is a company e-mail address. Like they would take the Volkswagen e-mail address that is VW, and make it Volkswagen.co.uk (it would show the latter but of course when one clicked closer it would be a common Web address). Even if they had a .uk behind the Yahoo, one can easily register a UK Yahoo e-mail address from anywhere in the world, including Nigeria. I'm almost certain those scams are operated from outside the UK.
So to sum up you probably have not been inundated with scams from England.
Quote:
I was unaware of this. I would imagine credit cards would have similar rules like that internationally? As I also use my credit card only, but usually try my best to check out whether the place I purchase from is safe (as much as I can of course, because in reality one can never be 100% sure).
You can imagine what you like, I see no reason for such an assumption. The consumer protection act is English law. It doesn't cover me if I use my card in the Middle east, so unless you have locally equivalent laws then you will not be covered either. If I buy something on the net, however, it doesn't matter where it is from - if I don't get the goods I don't pay, end of story.
Quote:
I'm curious. At what stage is a person vulnerable for a virus? I.e. only when one downloads an attachment, or right at the start when one opens the e-mail message? Or is the opening of the message protected by anti-virus software?
As far as email goes then opening a message is generally safe. You need to run executable code in order to get an infection and messages/emails are not executable code, whereas attachments can be. I cannot comment on webmail type systems like yahoo, hotmail etc, as it is certainly possible to setup a webmail logon page to infect a machine - but with normal internet email (POP3 and IMAP) then you will not get a virus from opening the email itself.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
deanhills wrote:
So to sum up you probably have not been inundated with scams from England.
Right. I think that is pretty much what I was trying to say in response to people saying that there were less scams from Nigeria. I.e. that they may have developed the art of taking on e-mail identities that may create the impression that they are from England. The same number of Nigerians, if not more, using different identities.

Bikerman wrote:
Quote:
You can imagine what you like,
Perhaps you misconstrued. If I said I was unaware, it did not mean that I thought your statement was wrong. Just that I was unaware.

Bikerman wrote:
I see no reason for such an assumption. The consumer protection act is English law. It doesn't cover me if I use my card in the Middle east, so unless you have locally equivalent laws then you will not be covered either. If I buy something on the net, however, it doesn't matter where it is from - if I don't get the goods I don't pay, end of story.
Thanks for the update. I was unaware you were referring to the Consumer Protection Act in England.

The Bank I am banking with in the UAE, and with which I have a Visa card, does have some international protection, provided I can provide them with telephone access. There is a system in place that once a purchase has been made, that a customer agent will phone to confirm that the purchase is bona fide. Yes, it sounds incredible, but they make international calls at no extra charge. If there is a non-response to the phone call, then the Bank summarily blocks the account. Quite a challenging system of course as one had to figure the system out bit by bit and during the figuring out stages my card got blocked a number of times while I was travelling. Alternatively one can sign a document at your Bank in advance of travel, taking full responsibility for misuse of the card during travel. And then no phone calls will be made by customer agents for the duration of the travel. Initially I found it very annoying, but after a number of discussions realized that if one works with it, that there is some form of protection in it.

Bikerman wrote:
Quote:
As far as email goes then opening a message is generally safe. You need to run executable code in order to get an infection and messages/emails are not executable code, whereas attachments can be. I cannot comment on webmail type systems like yahoo, hotmail etc, as it is certainly possible to setup a webmail logon page to infect a machine - but with normal internet email (POP3 and IMAP) then you will not get a virus from opening the email itself.
Thanks for the info.
Bikerman
Hmm..I would find that too invasive. I am surprised they do not use software. The companies here use special software to track use of the card. If anything unusual crops up it automatically bars the card until they ring and confirm or until you contact them from the shop or wherever.
For example, a few weeks ago an attempted transaction using my card was blocked in Israel. How my card details got to Israel I have no clue - I suspect someone has managed to get the number from an on-line transaction I've made. The software disallowed the transaction (as I found out when I tried to fill the car up at the local garage) and a message appeared on the machine with a phone number to call - I did and it was reset straight away. I think that is pretty good...
ProfessorY91
Not sure if this is as fully featured as PayPal, but Google Checkout is definitely a tool worth considering for online purchasing. As for receiving payments, I'm fairly but not entirely sure that Google Checkout performs the same function. Sorry, but I just tend to throw my hat in with Google's tools.
deanhills
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Not sure if this is as fully featured as PayPal, but Google Checkout is definitely a tool worth considering for online purchasing. As for receiving payments, I'm fairly but not entirely sure that Google Checkout performs the same function. Sorry, but I just tend to throw my hat in with Google's tools.
Does EBay allow Google Checkout? I thought they only worked with PayPal? That is one of the reasons why I did not want to trade with EBay. I prefer to use my Visa Card to PayPal, which I found much too intrusive and restrictive. But if there is an alternative available for purchasing on EBay, then I most definitely will reconsider.
Abhishukla
paypal account is a must.. for any individual who is working online.
we can find any site which mentions the need of a paypal account.
and also it is free to create no setup fee is needed.
hersandal
I think Yes, I've been using this kind of service for online transaction it works for me. I don't know what to do without paypal. but for other things. I use westernunion.
jigoku05
Paypal all the way!!!
alugueldelanchaangra
PayPal is the best