FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Our demise through our triumphs?

illini319
Just read your favorite news source. You will likely find how humanity continues to push itself forward with advances in nearly every field that will enhance our lives and even allow us to live longer. It isn't too difficult to predict that, someday, we will have managed many if not all the major diseases that afflict us today. We will have essentially reached a point where age will be the only thing that would kill us; the so-called Hayflick limit. What then? Would we have caused our own demise by causing a ballooned population?
Of course it would be easy to say that, at that technological point, we would be able to send man to space and reduce our overpopulation. Or be able to recycle 100% such that there is no longer a 'limited resource'. But, for the sake of conversation, let us remove these possibilities out. How will humanity handle our exceeding the biocapacity of earth?
tidruG
Strangely enough, I was going to start a thread about this... Very Happy
I don't know about the Hayflick limit (and I must apologize for not having enough time to do some research on it... I'll try to do some this weekend), but I've been thinking along the lines of... "Technology's helping us live longer... population growth is booming... sooner or later, we're going to run out of resources/space to live..." (and by space, I don't mean outerspace)

illini319 wrote:
Of course it would be easy to say that, at that technological point, we would be able to send man to space and reduce our overpopulation.

Where are we going to send them? The only thing that could work is if we figure out a way to make Mars habitable or something like that, and then try to shift some population over to Mars. However, something like that seems a long long way away.
ocalhoun
I've given this thought before,
Here's my solution: Launch a space staion (or many of them) into orbit around the sun.
Have it collect sunlight with mirrors, then filter it through pure ozone.
Inside is like a biosphere, and its round so that it can use centrifugal force to create artificial gravity by rotating.
LumberJack
Hmmm... well, I think that when humans are given enough of an incentive to find an answer they do. Whether or not we can find one in time is the real question...
gonzo
illini319 wrote:
we will have managed many if not all the major diseases that afflict us today

Have you not noticed the "discovery" of new diseases? Many of which are more disturbing than the last?

Quote:
age will be the only thing that would kill us

Sadly your utopian society can never happen until all liberalism is eliminated. Wildly immoral sexual behavior promotes the spread of a class of systemically devasting diseases.

Quote:
Would we have caused our own demise by causing a ballooned population?

The same gross immorality that spawns STDs also similarly selfishly suppresses- and slaughters "undesired" life. Under that mentality a population overburden is unlikely. Unfortunately the other extreme is more likely as the viable gene pool population declines.
illini319
[quote="gonzo]Under that mentality a population overburden is unlikely. Unfortunately the other extreme is more likely as the viable gene pool population declines.[/quote]

While I cannot speak about next year, or the year after that... Population trends, at a global level, have not shown any decrease. That being said, the capacity of the earth to handle a growing human population is not simply defined as the number of people on this earth, as I'm sure you know. It must also include our impact on the environment. Without 'tree-hugging' too much, emerging countries such as India and China (whose respective populations are staggering) are fast becoming major consumers of petrochemicals and, hence, major producers of pollutants.

I don't think that humanity will perish as a result of any particular major event (chronic or acute). Nothing is that absolute. I think, conceptually, my question really refers to standard of living. Is it inevitable that our standard of living will decrease in the face of an increasing burden on our natural resources?