FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cannot install Win 7 on a new PC

welshsteve
I have a new PC and want to install Windows 7 Enterprise on it (64-bit version). In the Windows install screen with the drive options, I have choosen to format the main partition, but it gives me the message:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"

I find this message incredibly unhelpful, and also find it ridiculous as Windows has already been installed on this machine a few times before.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

UPDATE
There was "System Reserved" partition that I think the manufacturers put on there. Deleting that as well so I have the entire disk to work with seems to have helped. I'll report back if there are any more issues.[/u]
shyingboy
It a problem I have met and solved at last, luckily.
It's about the partition table.
There are many types of partition table, MBR and GPT are both of which.
Microsoft used MBR to manage the partitions on many of its previous products, like Windows XP, Windows 7(32bit).
But on 64bit Windows 7 Enterprise version, it use the GPT.

So, if you want to install the system, you need to convert from MBR to GPT.
By the way, GPT has more advantages. My operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate(32bit), but I use GPT too.

You can use partition management tools to change your partition table of the disk.
Here is an similar issue and solution, which may help you.
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-installation-upgrade/5121-problem-installing-windows-7-rc-efi-disk-mbr.html

Good luck. Very Happy