FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DSL Installion Question?

xtremepc
My main telephone line goes through a switch box, If I install a DSL line filter, going to the switch box, will that be the only line filter I have to install.
yupeng
You can have a further information in the instructin of your DSL.
Also you can ask the services provider Smile
Arin
xtremepc wrote:
My main telephone line goes through a switch box, If I install a DSL line filter, going to the switch box, will that be the only line filter I have to install.

If I got it right you have a switch box which is used to connect few phones to one line, right? To have phone in your room and in the kitchen for example? Well, if yes, you will need to get filter for every phone device that you have plugged.

phoneA <-> filterA <-> switch box <-> rest of world
aDSL modem <-> switch box <-> rest of world
phoneB <-> filterB <-> switch box <-> rest of world

This is schema of my own line - and it works :D. Nevertheless - yupeng's advice is a very good one and you should start from the modem manual.

Cheers,
Arin.
otiscom
Arin is right, everything EXCEPT your DSL modem should be filtered.

If you put filter on modem it won't work.

Marcin_K
u could also connect the modem to the main line along with the switchbox (which will have to be filtered). u use the line that goes to ur room and u need only one filter for the switch box but u don't have a phone in ur room anymore... well... skype is better Smile
technology.sponge
the filter only needs to gon on any other deviced on ur fone line besides ur modem

if u filter at the switch box, this wud cut out all the adsl signals INCLUDING THE ONES FROM UR MODEM
just install the filter inline wiv every device other than the modem u hav e.g. cordless phone, fax

*note - if u hav a monitored alarm, that will need to b filtered as well otherwise it'll screw up the net connection