FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Apple cider vinegar

lightwate
Anyone ever seen/tasted/smelled apple cider vinegar? I bought one and it smells and tastes horrible!

I've read about it on the internet and a lot are saying how fruity it smells like - to the point that fruit flies will dive into it. I even read that you can use a solution of it as substitute for rice wine when making sushi rice. Some even suggested it as a shampoo alternative because the vinegar removes the oil and dirt build up while at the same time giving that lovely fruity smell.

When I bought my bottle it's nothing like that! I microwaved some of it and yuck, it's just horrible. Maybe just the brand? or is it me?
Ghost Rider103
Never heard of it being used as a shampoo...

It really is quite disgusting though if you try it straight out of the bottle. It is used in many types of sauces though, like a ton of hot sauces use it. It can be good to mix in for sauces, but I wouldn't recommend you try to drink any of it straight.

In fact I've seen people use it to make themselves puke. You know that feeling you get when you have food poisoning, like you know you need to puke but can't, vinegar can speed up that process in getting that bad stuff out of your system. Take a swig of vinegar and you're guaranteed to puke on the spot. I've seen it done. Lol.
deanhills
My experience with it has been for health. It's being advertised every where on the Web, as well as in health books as good for one's immune system. Usually a table spoon is diluted in a half cup of warm water together with some honey to sweeten it. It has also been popularized as a weight loss aid.

Here is an example of a Website on the "health benefits" of apple cider vinegar:

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

None of the claims for weight loss have been medically proven (refer Mayo Clinic below, including caution about its use)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/apple-cider-vinegar-for-weight-loss/AN01816
Radar
I'm just hearing 'apple cider' and getting hungry. I'm ignoring the part about vinegar.
coolclay
Maybe it is the kind you bought, what is it by the way? I use it fairly often for cooking (as well as balsamic), it adds an excellent flavor to many things. I love straight vinegar too! I've never chugged it before but, love a tablespoon now and then. It's also great on french fries! My guess is you bought some bad stuff, either that or you are just not used to it. Apple vinegar is made from the fermentation of apples juice much like hard apple cider, except alcoholic fermentation uses Saccharomyces sp. and acetic acid fermentation used Acetobacter sp. That is why the fruit flies are attracted to it, it smells like rotting apples!

Vinegar is actually really easy and fun to make (not to mention other "beverages"). I made pear vinegar once, it was awesome!
Ankhanu
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Never heard of it being used as a shampoo...

I use it on my hair from time to time. Works pretty well and doesn't leave your hair feeling coarse and stripped like shampoo tends to; you do have to dilute it somewhat, though. Your scalp will smell like apple cider vinegar ever so faintly, though.

coolclay wrote:
Maybe it is the kind you bought, what is it by the way? I use it fairly often for cooking (as well as balsamic), it adds an excellent flavor to many things. I love straight vinegar too! I've never chugged it before but, love a tablespoon now and then. It's also great on french fries! My guess is you bought some bad stuff, either that or you are just not used to it.

I couldn't see drinking it straight... bleh.
It, like many things, including Balsamic (which is quite popular) is something of an acquired taste... but as an ingredient, it's pretty great (particularly in sauces as GR said). I'd say it's more likely that our OP is not used to the flavour, more than he got a bad batch; it's pretty hard to screw up vinegar production Smile
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:
(as well as balsamic), it adds an excellent flavor to many things. I love straight vinegar too! I've never chugged it before but, love a tablespoon now and then. It's also great on french fries!

Mmm... brings back memories of eating beer battered french fries with balsamic vinegar to dip them in...

But yes, no kind of vinegar should be eaten (or drank!) straight. It's a condiment or an ingredient! You put it on things, or put it in things. It's far too strong to be enjoyed on its own.

You wouldn't like salt if you just ate it all on its own... but when used in moderation, it makes other things taste a lot better. Vinegar is the same way.
lightwate
coolclay wrote:
Maybe it is the kind you bought, what is it by the way?

It's Heinz. Though I think rotting apple (like 1 week in the trash can) smells better Razz

Quote:

Vinegar is actually really easy and fun to make (not to mention other "beverages"). I made pear vinegar once, it was awesome!

I see.. But I'm not good at that since I don't know what the real one tastes like. haha! I might even make a juice out of a rotten fruit and wouldn't know the difference.