FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The First thing to do when u catch a cold?

likeabreeze
some people would have a hot bath, others would drink green tea.
I just wanna know how do u get over it?
Bondings
Wait until it's over, possibly take any pain killer medicine. There aren't really any effective treatments found yet.
Peterssidan
I don't do anything special except that I don't do any serious physical exercises until I get better.
shyingboy
It's a suggestion of my good friend who is doctor.

When you feel cold, not serious actually, drinking a hot chicken soup will make you feel better and even help cure your cold.

It works for me. Laughing

I hope I can give you valuable suggestion. Smile
metalfreek
I frequently catch cold and it really sucks. Here is what I do when I catch cold

1. Use herbal medication no prescription medication.
2. Drink a lot of hot fluid may be soup and boiled water.
3. Take plenty of rest. Most of the time I sleep.
4. Pray to god that this horrible time pass quickly but as relativity suggests time slows down when you are ill. Very Happy
likeabreeze
Bondings wrote:
Wait until it's over, possibly take any pain killer medicine. There aren't really any effective treatments found yet.

haha, I know u are indeed good at fixing website problem, but seem not to be good at fixing the problem of your body....
don't believe it? Look>>>
shyingboy wrote:
It's a suggestion of my good friend who is doctor.
When you feel cold, not serious actually, drinking a hot chicken soup will make you feel better and even help cure your cold.
It works for me. Laughing
I hope I can give you valuable suggestion. Smile

drinking hot chicken soup is proved to be one of many effective treatments, I know many people do this when they catch a cold,but I don't do this because I don't wanna eat anything when catching a cold.

Hey, Bondings, as the founder of frihost, after doing a lot programming,please pay more attention to medicine!
your introduce to yourself:"tries to keep up with the latest news and internet trends", now,plz keep up with the latest medical news!
likeabreeze
metalfreek wrote:
I frequently catch cold and it really sucks. Here is what I do when I catch cold

4. Pray to god that this horrible time pass quickly but as relativity suggests time slows down when you are ill. Very Happy

Totally agree with u!
mmmm, btw,
which kind of herbal medicine do u use?
Peterssidan
likeabreeze wrote:
drinking hot chicken soup is proved to be one of many effective treatments
Can you link to any studies that "proves" this?
likeabreeze
Peterssidan wrote:
likeabreeze wrote:
drinking hot chicken soup is proved to be one of many effective treatments
Can you link to any studies that "proves" this?

-----New York Times-----
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/12/the-science-of-chicken-soup/

------UNMC.net -----------
http://www.unmc.edu/publicrelations/chickensoup.htm

--------UNMC news release-------------
http://www.unmc.edu/publicrelations/chickensoup_newsrelease.htm

P.S. next time u catch a cold, just have a try!!!!wait for your feedback.. Very Happy
metalfreek
likeabreeze wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

Totally agree with u!
mmmm, btw,
which kind of herbal medicine do u use?

Its herbal medication and its available only in my country I think.
Radar
I don't do anything. I wait, and the theory is that my body will deal with it better next time.

Okay, this logic doesn't necessarily apply well to the common cold.
likeabreeze
metalfreek wrote:

Oh!
Really?
where are u from?
metalfreek
likeabreeze wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

Oh!
Really?
where are u from?

I am from Nepal and herbal medication I am using is manufactured by small factory so I don't think they have exported it to foreign countries.

There is a good home medication for cold that you can try. If you can get your hands on Ocimum tenuiflorum (scientific name here I don't know what its called in English), you can boil it along with Turmeric powder and salt and drink 3 glasses per day. It is really effective for cold.
medesignz
likeabreeze wrote:
some people would have a hot bath, others would drink green tea.
I just wanna know how do u get over it?
I eat lots of soup and inform all the women in my life how they dont even know how bad it feels Wink
deanhills
First thing to do is stay in bed. Get some medicine from the pharmacy that dries up the mucus, takes away the body aches, makes you drowsy and lets you sleep for a long while. The latest I've been using is a hot lemon toddy called Lemsip MAX, and it really works. It knocks me out for six.

Here's more information about it as well as the ingredients in it from a doctor's point of view:
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/aches-and-pains/medicines/lemsip-max-coldflu-direct.html

If you're really sick and find you have difficulty breathing with coughing probably best to see a doctor. Not a good idea to ever play with the flu when it gets into your chest.
likeabreeze
metalfreek wrote:

I am from Nepal and herbal medication I am using is manufactured by small factory so I don't think they have exported it to foreign countries.

mmm, what is the name of the herbal medication u take?
metalfreek
likeabreeze wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

Its called Sancho meaning relief in Nepal.
medesignz
The best way to avoid colds... Is to wash your hands regularly Very Happy
ghanster
Peterssidan wrote:
I don't do anything special except that I don't do any serious physical exercises until I get better.

Do exercises cure cold? And cold normally moves with coughing
Peterssidan
ghanster wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

Do exercises cure cold? And cold normally moves with coughing

I don't think so. It could probably make it worse. That's why I don't usually do it while sick.
likeabreeze
metalfreek wrote:
likeabreeze wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

Its called Sancho meaning relief in Nepal.

Thanks , man!
likeabreeze
medesignz wrote:

Totally agree with you, man!
medesignz
likeabreeze wrote:

Haha... Finally Very Happy
ghanster
likeabreeze wrote:
medesignz wrote:

How does washing your hand relate to not catching cold? I dont get it... Do you mean we catch cold through our hands, or what?
medesignz
ghanster wrote:
How does washing your hand relate to not catching cold? I dont get it... Do you mean we catch cold through our hands, or what?
Its down to the amount of germs we pick up on our hands without realising it... Someone will back me up I'm sure
Peterssidan
medesignz wrote:

The best way to avoid colds is to stay away from other people, especially children.
amagard
Get yourself some Zinc to boost your immune system. If you are lucky you can get around the cold entirely. But you have to start real early when you realize the first symptoms !
likeabreeze
Peterssidan wrote:
medesignz wrote:

The best way to avoid colds is to stay away from other people, especially children.

Mmmm, I doubt whether this is the BEST way.
ghanster
medesignz wrote:
ghanster wrote:
Its down to the amount of germs we pick up on our hands without realising it... Someone will back me up I'm sure

I will back you up, cos I've understood your point!
medesignz
Peterssidan wrote:

Yerp! Live in a bubble Smile
Ghost Rider103
Peterssidan wrote:
medesignz wrote:

I think it's safe to say that a lot of colds are generally transferred from one infected person touching an object, then a non-infected person coming along and touching that object, essentially infecting themselves.

You can avoid people, this may help, however touching something that another person has touched before you, will put you at risk of also getting infected.

Quote:
Yerp! Live in a bubble

This would help a bit more as well! However it isn't typical. Very Happy
likeabreeze
ghanster wrote:
medesignz wrote:
ghanster wrote:

I will back you up, cos I've understood your point!

Actually, good hand washing protects against the spread of many other diseases except for common cold, For example,meningitis,and hepatitis A!
Hey, Do u wash your hands?
nguyenvulong
I will drink hot lemon juice, it's really good. A piece of ginger also helps you avoid further worse
likeabreeze
nguyenvulong wrote:
I will drink hot lemon juice, it's really good. A piece of ginger also helps you avoid further worse

sometimes, ginger might make things worse...
Gregoric
Well, I don't do anything. Just clean my nose until it's bedtime and that's how I fight and beat cold - I sleep under quilt no matter how warm is the night. Even if it means I'll sweat, I keep my body in warm temperature. In the morning everything is all right, cold is gone and I feel great Smile
medesignz
I think I am getting a cold actually... I can't believe me luck... haha
Lishmares
The best thing to do when you catch a cold, is:
-Drink a lot of water everyday.
-Take some pain killers to stop the symptoms
-Try to do some exercises to evacuate some microbs
These tips can really help gettin rid of it.
deanhills
I usually reach for bicarbonate of soda, one teaspoon in a half cup of warm water, and gargle with it. First thing in the morning.

I also take a teaspoon of Vitamin C powder in juice, or yogurt. Dose myself with lots of Vitamin C.

That usually helps me.

If the strain is very virulent and looks as though it's really bad and none of the above is working, I get extra medicine from the pharmacy. Not something to mess with particularly if it's in the chest.
mshafiq
i heard that if you can cut onion and put onion in some open jar in your room you will never catch cold.because onion have some enzyme that prevent flu germs.like they absorb flu germs very soon.one important thing is that when you cut onion for cooking don't let them put for long time out side without cooking because they will catch germs very soon and your onion will be infected very soon.
medesignz
That's the same thing with garlic? Or is that just vampires Wink
jajarvin
I drink several doses of hot black currant juice. It is healthy and I feel easier.
medesignz
jajarvin wrote:
I drink several doses of hot black currant juice. It is healthy and I feel easier.
Do you juice it yourself, or do you use shop bought?
dhakalmukul
Complete rest, management of fever (if you have), taking soup item in diet.

If you do not have common cold now but want to be away from it , better have a glass of water with lemon early in the morning. Increase fruit items in your diet. Vitamin C and Vitamin E helps to develop better immunity against common cold.
Nick2008
I used to get colds often and it always began with a scratchy throat and gradual runny nose. At these times I obviously get negative emotions because I become aware of the impending crisis.

Usually my first line of defense is drinking hot tea with lemon and honey. Eating garlic or onion often helps as well. I begin to drink a bit more water to help flush everything through the system. Of course, being a virus it will last its course no matter what but you can always find ways to reduce the severity of the symptoms. Time is the only "cure."