FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you read agreement before accepting it?

likeabreeze
When u sign up for an account or install a software, u are usually required to accept the agreement it gives to you, of course, we have to click "agree" or "accept" in order to continue.
But,
have u ever read them?
To be honest, I never do that!
just click "agree" without hesitation....
and how about u?
nguyenvulong
honestly, I rarely do it Razz
deanhills
If it is really important then I do, but for new software I'm really bad in that I rarely read the terms and conditions. I sometimes scan it, and I assume my anti-virus is checking through the software for viruses, but for the rest should be more vigilant. Having said that, I rarely download software from bogus origins. It's usually software that is being used by millions of people. Like Acrobat Reader etc.
Cosmoslayer
I'll be honest.... I DON'T! LOL
metalfreek
No one reads that long crap while installing software or signing up online. Its actually not a crap but reading those long document sounds like a crap to me. It doesn't really matter because you will accept it even though you may find something disturbing. But anyways its a crap and I never read it. LOL
likeabreeze
metalfreek wrote:
No one reads that long crap while installing software or signing up online. Its actually not a crap but reading those long document sounds like a crap to me. It doesn't really matter because you will accept it even though you may find something disturbing. But anyways its a crap and I never read it. LOL

Perhaps law students and secretary would like to read them!
spinout
i did that once with my 10 year old son so he understood the meaning. But that is the only time...
Peterssidan
Now it has been years since I last installed anything that showed an agreement during installation but I remember I read some of them but most of them I just "accepted" without reading. Most of them is boring and say the same thing anyway.

When signing up on websites I usually read it or at least skim through it because it could say something important.
likeabreeze
spinout wrote:
i did that once with my 10 year old son so he understood the meaning. But that is the only time...

Yeah!
A great English material!
Absolutely no grammar mistake! Very Happy
likeabreeze
deanhills wrote:
If it is really important then I do, but for new software I'm really bad in that I rarely read the terms and conditions. I sometimes scan it, and I assume my anti-virus is checking through the software for viruses, but for the rest should be more vigilant. Having said that, I rarely download software from bogus origins. It's usually software that is being used by millions of people. Like Acrobat Reader etc.

Probably the right attitude towards this problem.
_AVG_
I always just click "I agree" or whatever without reading a word. And in my experience, most people do the same. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to actually read it once (probably when I have the free time) Cool
Josso
Only if I am giving them personal information or access to something or other. Otherwise you'd be sitting around reading nearly identical stuff all the time.

Reminds me of that South Park episode
pauline123
I usually read them, or at least skim it really quickly to make sure there is nothing that seems out of place within it. Other than that, I usually agree to it anyway. Perhaps it is a waste of my time, but I like to know what I am agreeing to.
Radar
I skim read. It's vain thought of trying.
crystalkey
Anyone who says that they read the TOS, etc, are not real users. I rarely read these things, except when using unfamiliar software or visiting difference forums. Smile
ninjakannon
I've actually begun to glance over them. It's not like I read every word, but I look at the headings and check out any that I feel I should read. They're mostly exactly as you'd expect but in many more words.

There's a new website and open source project about where people have reviewed the terms and conditions of a bunch of popular websites for you and highlight their good and bad points in a few bullet points. However, I can't remember what the website is called! Anyone got it?

Josso wrote:
Reminds me of that South Park episode

Reminds me of centipedes.

P.S. Hey, Josso.
the-guide
Normally, I just scan it quickly but never spend a lot of time reading.
What if I don't accept? Click "Don't accept," and the software doesn't installed.
I think it is something that I have no choice about, especially if I must use the software,
I finally have to accept the agreement.
Or it is possible to ask them to change the agreement for me?

sudipbanerjee
to be honest I rarely check them.
Bluedoll
I actually read one completely and noticed that there is a standard. A lot of software companies use the same one and others have variations of it. A quick glance is all I give now and we all know that sometimes you are so excited about getting a new piece of software you just want to continue.

I'm sure everyone has checked no I don't agree if it is there. Have you seen any like that? What is the point?
Insanity
I've actually heard that those agreements don't really hold up in court, mainly because of all the reasons shown here. If the majority of the people who are presented with the long list of terms and agreements and conditions don't actually read it, but just click through, they are still not automatically and guaranteed to be liable if they do something that violates it. It's because of something about consideration, that people don't take it into serious consideration and therefore it should not count as a binding contract. People don't read them, so they should not be expected to be liable for it. It's sort of weird, I know, but that's what my lawyer friend told me.

I, of course, don't bother reading them at all. It's really not worth the time to do so.
dspblack
It depends on the software being installed!
likeabreeze
dspblack wrote:
It depends on the software being installed!

can u be more specific?
bukaida
For my PC, the worst a software can do is, make me ending up formatting my drive(Destroying intellectual property ?? Wink ). As I regularly take backup, so it will hardly matter. As per the commercial use and distribution, well, I hardly develop any commercial application. So reading EULA is not much important for me.

However, for enterprise/company, it is the duty of the administrator to read them before installing. Often the data is more important to a company than the software. So the admin must analyze about the collateral damage and risk carefully before installing anything.
Gitesh
HAHA I never ever read any of the terms and conditions., I think the only person who ever read this terms and conditions are the people who draft it. Others just lie that they have read all terms and conditions., some one must draft a agreement like will to name the property to the company on infringement and people may accept it too.
ghanster
Normally ut depends in the kind of service they render, and the importance it has! But I rarely do that...
likeabreeze
ghanster wrote:
Normally ut depends in the kind of service they render, and the importance it has! But I rarely do that...

Usually, the thing is, we don't know the importance of the agreement or TOS until we break it.
ghanster
Absolutely! Thats the secret behind it! We'll never know until we are at fault, then we rush to see it! Cool
alongkichu
Depends on the software i'm installing.
k_s_baskar
almost No.
likeabreeze
ghanster wrote:
Absolutely! Thats the secret behind it! We'll never know until we are at fault, then we rush to see it! Cool

The same goes for website(for example, Frihost).

I bet nobody read TOS or FAQ before they register an account
chatrack
Hi,

this I always ask to me itself. Simply scroll down to the end and waiting for some seconds, thinking that
the web developer may have scripted some time counting script to check that this guy is really reading this or not, ha ha,,, and the check agree. But with some serious sign ups, I used to copy and paste the t/c on my local notebook file, for later to read..
RosenCruz
Very rarely.
johans
i admin i dont read it.. hahahah

with all the rules and regulations too long no cares to read anymore
Asap170
I don't read the agreement because they make them so long. They probably do that and when people complain they are like it is in the TOS that no one reads.
likeabreeze
Now that u guys hardly ever read agreements before accepting it, is there any solution?
Asap170
likeabreeze wrote:
Now that u guys hardly ever read agreements before accepting it, is there any solution?

No because laws are so complicated and companies don't want to lose money so they need to think of every possibility.
ninjakannon
likeabreeze wrote:

Well, maybe. I alluded to it in my earlier post but couldn't find it. Here is TOS-DR http://tos-dr.info/. The name stands for Terms of Service, Didn't Read (a play on TL;DR or 'too long, didn't read').

TOS-DR provides really, REALLY short versions of the terms and conditions of many popular services and applications, from Facebook to Minecraft. It rates the bullet pointed terms as good or bad, rates each service with a class, and lets you read more details if desired. Not bad. Seems pretty good to me. It's open source and anyone can contribute!
inuyasha
Honestly, I never read them. Very Happy

But I will still put an agreement on my website for registration, which I clearly know will be rarely read~~ Just intend to make the website more formal~
likeabreeze
inuyasha wrote:

But I will still put an agreement on my website for registration, which I clearly know will be rarely read~~ Just intend to make the website more formal~

ok, tell me the truth, who wrote the agreement?
Did you write it yourself?
I bet the answer is no.
Insanity
I don't think these agreements do anything anyways. I doubt it helps whoever writes it in any court case since it is widely known that nobody ever reads them.
rx9876
I will glance the tos for topics, weight or different color words.
inuyasha
likeabreeze wrote:
inuyasha wrote:

ok, tell me the truth, who wrote the agreement?
Did you write it yourself?
I bet the answer is no.

Right you are~ Laughing
I just copied several parts from different related website and modified a little~ You see rules for forums are almost the same~ And I don't think I can write anything formal to be an agreement simply by myself~
darthrevan
No unfortunately I don't. I don't like reading for ever. Places that has agreements should make it shorter and simpler . I guess they know people aren't gonna sit there and read it. so they can put whatever they want and take advantage of the person, without that person knowing until it is too late. The only way that person won't be done is if they sit there for hrs reading.
linux1993
Anyway ,if you want to install a software or use a service .generally you won't care what the agreement has said . Or else you won't think about using it .
deanhills
linux1993 wrote:
Anyway ,if you want to install a software or use a service .generally you won't care what the agreement has said . Or else you won't think about using it .
I read some though. The ones I don't read are the ones who are known like Adobe Flash, Windows, Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, Microsoft, etc. but I probably should read those even more than any of the suspect ones.
grofet
if you register something with real id you should read the tos agreement before you ok it. but if you use fake id, i think its not a must.
deanhills
grofet wrote:
but if you use fake id, i think its not a must.
Interesting point, but isn't it one's IP that counts as an ID more than one's user name?
chartcentral
Honestly, I don't read the terms of service (TOS) of a website before registration, or of software before installing. Thankfully, we now have this website:

Terms of Service; Didn't Read

It gives ratings to a website's TOS, from Class A (highest) to Class E (lowest). That basically means the higher the rating of a website, the more trustworthy it is. It also lists the details (good, indifferent, bad) on why they are rated as such.

Most popular websites listed on its front page still don't have ratings, but Soundcloud gets a B, while Twitpic gets an E. So that means I should probably stop using Twitpic now, hmm.
inuyasha
deanhills wrote:
isn't it one's IP that counts as an ID more than one's user name?

Not so important in some occasions, since some ISP provides users with dynamic IP addresses, which may just tell where you are from.
Qantas94Heavy
likeabreeze wrote:
When u sign up for an account or install a software, u are usually required to accept the agreement it gives to you, of course, we have to click "agree" or "accept" in order to continue.
But,
have u ever read them?
To be honest, I never do that!
just click "agree" without hesitation....
and how about u?

Most people think I'm weird because half of the time I'll spend 10 minutes reading through every clause of the EULA or Terms & Conditions of most software, but if it's something that claims to be open source or it's something that I already have some other product in the family of them I won't bother.
JasonNewman
One time I did read the iTunes agreement because I was bored, and it talks about how you can't use the software at your advantage to develop biological/nuclear weapons. Exactly why I don't read the terms... usually they explain things that are obvious.
zaxacongrejo
hi yes i do,but...... after the first warning, haha it took me 1 day in frihost
rjraaz
As like others I am also not in habit of reading those Terms and condition and/or license agreements of any software or for signup of any website.
D'Artagnan
hardly, sincerelly i don't care anymore, it's like google chrome license that permits google to spy on me, really i cant care less as long as chrome keeps being awesome
D'Artagnan
hardly, sincerelly i don't care anymore, it's like google chrome license that permits google to spy on me, really i cant care less as long as chrome keeps being awesome