FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer date and time changing all the time

tadjray12
Hi there

My computer date and time keep changing all the time, when i turn my computer in evening i find the date and time have changed, usually it turns to 2005 with random time.

the synchronization doesn't work, sometimes it work if i change it manually back to 2012 and closer time

windows update doesn't work anymore! i get error after it download something to 100%

all this started when i got a pop up message saying i have to reactivate windows because my machine had several hardware changes

the reactivation with Microsoft went OK but then i started having all this errors

yesterday windows zero configuration service turned off for no reason! i tried to activate it again but failed, then for no reason it turned on by itself

pc runs on windows xp home edition
windows security essentials
i don't have original xp CD!
metalfreek
Looks like your MotherBoard battery has run its course. Just change the CMOS battery and everything will return to normal.
tadjray12
Thanks a lot metalfreek!

i will try that! i think you're right, it's an old computer i build myself long time ago! around 2003! i upgraded some hardwares but the motherboard is still the same!

thanks again
silverdown
I use the time updater from http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/ which runs every 15 minutes making sure the clock on the computer is correct for your time zone. I never has a issue with it.
sawdclan
silverdown wrote:
I use the time updater from http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/ which runs every 15 minutes making sure the clock on the computer is correct for your time zone. I never has a issue with it.

If you have a older computer you have a battery on your motherboard saving the CMOS time, so when it's empty, you will boot with an error screen telling you you need to setup the time in the setup or continue with the usual boot process without having a good CMOS being setup. The effect of the last option is that some software will not work (properly).

Also, the required battery its name is, if I'm right, the RS-313, just a cell battery