FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My laptop crash down

sonam
For some reason my laptop crash down twice. When I switch on third time the Windows XP give me solution "Open last good known configuration" (or something like that) and I use this option. The laptop now working good but I am interesting what can cause crashing of it. I didn't install any new program, except yesterday Windows auto update. :smileyfrustrated: Can too hot time to cause some crash like that. Laptop is old only one year and three month and I have warranty for it.
ghanster
Maybe you loaded it with lots of running processes, or the memory wasnt enough for holding up such processes...
sonam
ghanster wrote:
Maybe you loaded it with lots of running processes, or the memory wasnt enough for holding up such processes...

3Gb of ram is quite enough. I think the problem is in Win update. When I restore my comp everything is OK.

Sonam
Bondings
@sonam, that Windows asks to load the previous good configuration is normal after a crash and is a good thing (it can prevent changes that cause Windows to fail booting).

About your laptop crashing, of course it can be a software problem related to the upgrade (or anything else) or a hardware problem. I wouldn't worry about it unless it start happening more frequently.

However from my experience a lot of problems with laptops are related to overheating and the laptop switching down after reaching a critical temperature. Usually you can download a program that monitors the cpu (and more useful) the gpu temperature.

Anyway, if the temperature gets too high it's either because you are preventing it from cooling efficiently or because it is full of dust. In the first case, make sure you are putting it on some kind of hard surface (not on your bed/sheets) and don't put anything next to all the air intakes of the laptop.

If there is dust in the laptop (which you might not see from the outside unless it is very bad), I have a simple (but dangerous) solution for it. I use a vacuum cleaner to suck the air and dust out of all the holes/air intakes in the laptop - with great care and best not on the highest power. While this can be very effective, you need to take great care with it as this might possibly damage the laptop by either causing the inside fans to rotate too fast or by breaking something or by electric charge built-up. It did help my girlfriend's laptop from going from crashing every hour during gaming to not crashing at all. Better options would probably be to use compressed air on the laptop parts. However I wouldn't do this on your new laptop, especially if you still have warranty on it.
sonam
Bondings wrote:
@sonam, that Windows asks to load the previous good configuration is normal after a crash and is a good thing (it can prevent changes that cause Windows to fail booting).

About your laptop crashing, of course it can be a software problem related to the upgrade (or anything else) or a hardware problem. I wouldn't worry about it unless it start happening more frequently.

However from my experience a lot of problems with laptops are related to overheating and the laptop switching down after reaching a critical temperature. Usually you can download a program that monitors the cpu (and more useful) the gpu temperature.

Anyway, if the temperature gets too high it's either because you are preventing it from cooling efficiently or because it is full of dust. In the first case, make sure you are putting it on some kind of hard surface (not on your bed/sheets) and don't put anything next to all the air intakes of the laptop.

If there is dust in the laptop (which you might not see from the outside unless it is very bad), I have a simple (but dangerous) solution for it. I use a vacuum cleaner to suck the air and dust out of all the holes/air intakes in the laptop - with great care and best not on the highest power. While this can be very effective, you need to take great care with it as this might possibly damage the laptop by either causing the inside fans to rotate too fast or by breaking something or by electric charge built-up. It did help my girlfriend's laptop from going from crashing every hour during gaming to not crashing at all. Better options would probably be to use compressed air on the laptop parts. However I wouldn't do this on your new laptop, especially if you still have warranty on it.

Thanks Bondings for your suggestion. Maybe you are right, because the temperature outside was near 40C and I have approximately open 10 different application. Only Chrome have near to 15 pages opened in same time. When is cold this is working perfect, but this height temperature outside maybe cause troubles. Confused

I have warranty and I will wait to see if this happened again or not. Maybe I will just little bit puff in fan.

Do you have any preferred free GPU temperature application? If you have please give me link.

Sonam