FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Planetary Land Claims

Dennise
By my count - with the Mars robot Curiosity - the US now has four successful robots operating on the planet Mars. I think this raises some interesting questions. Will human explorers on future cosmic expeditions attempt to dice up the universe the way early earthly missions did here? At what point can a human land claim be made on another body in our solar system ... or even beyond? Ignoring the obvious practicalities and limitations, what do you think?

1. Should an extraterrestrial claim be based only on robotic landings or must humans land on a planet or it's moons?
    2. Could the US claim the entire moon as their own?
    3. Can private claims be made?
    4. Can government claims be made?
    5. Can a claim be made for the entire planet, or just portions?
    6. Have any (Earthly) international agreements been made about such 'land' claims?
    7. Will there be planetary wars or "Star Wars'?

Just wondering Confused
kelseymh
Dennise wrote:
By my count - with the Mars robot Curiosity - the US now has four successful robots operating on the planet Mars. I think this raises some interesting questions.

Questions which were already raised and answered in the 1960's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty
Quote:
Will human explorers on future cosmic expeditions attempt to dice up the universe the way early earthly missions did here?

No.
Quote:
At what point can a human land claim be made on another body in our solar system ... or even beyond?

Never.
Quote:
Ignoring the obvious practicalities and limitations, what do you think?

I don't have to "think" about it. I can read the treaty, and analyses of it, and know.
Quote:
1. Should an extraterrestrial claim be based only on robotic landings or must humans land on a planet or it's moons?

Neither.
Quote:
2. Could the US claim the entire moon as their own?

No.
Quote:
3. Can private claims be made?

No.
Quote:
4. Can government claims be made?

No.
Quote:
5. Can a claim be made for the entire planet, or just portions?

Neither.
Quote:
6. Have any (Earthly) international agreements been made about such 'land' claims?

Yes.
Quote:
7. Will there be planetary wars or "Star Wars'?

Probably.
Josso
</thread>
Bikerman
[Mod Mode]
Thread unlocked.
Originally locked because I thought it was answered and dead. Apparently the thread was NOT dead so apologies for that - now reopened
Bikerman
[/Mod Mode]
kelseymh
Bikerman wrote:
[Mod Mode]
Thread unlocked.
Originally locked because I thought it was answered and dead. Apparently the thread was NOT dead so apologies for that - now reopened
Bikerman
[/Mod Mode]

Sad I thought it was well and fairly answered, and that one of y'all mods had taken pre-emptive action before it wandered off to crackpotland.
ocalhoun
It's well and fairly answered... if everyone obeys the treaty.

Give them strong enough motivation though, and I expect they'll violate the treaty and lay claims anyway.

There's also timescale concerns... In 3,000 years will any of the countries that signed the treaty still exist? In 10,000?

Then you've got other complications once colonization happens.
If you build a big, thriving city on Mars, surely you could claim possession of the city at least?
If you move to the moon and build your own home there, do you own your home, or is anyone free to use it as they please since you can't claim extraterrestrial property?