FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Herman Hesse

gnomme
think Herman Hesse's work is classified in to two obvious categories that conflict in every one of his novels but some drift more to one then the other. Flesh and Spirit are two conflicting componets in all of Hesse's novels. I think that the novels are often split down this line to put you in to deep thought or wonder in aww at how beautiful his writing is. I feel Steppinwolf is one of those were you are pulled in to a deep meditation on Hesses conjured up ideas and his philosiphy. Yet in Narcissus and Goldmund you do not see this as often or as deep, but instead these ideas are replaced by the horror of mankind and the beauty of love. If any one else has something to add
tony
sorry. i can't contribut much to this conversation, but the half of siddhartha that i read was pretty interesting. unfortunately, the sparknotes didn't have quite the same affect.
EtherealDesert
Omg. Where did this thread come from? I've only read Sid. but I have this fundamental problem with the "shut everything out" Weltanschauung (anybody mentioned eastern "religions"?) It seems so... anxiety based Wink