FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Opinion on Storms?

TheRPGLPer
Does anyone here like Thunderstorms and Severe Storms and like watching them.

Me, I'm crazy about weather and I love watching thunderstorms and recording them. There are also always those outbreaks that happen that get me excited for the day. There was also that one day, April 27, 2011, where there was a crazy tornado outbreak in East Tennessee. Also love watching high winds and lightning.
Here are the radar images from the April 2011 outbreak if you are interested, I live in east Tennessee, so our radar images are at the bottom.

Anyone else here interested in thunderstorms?[/code]
crystalkey
I wil admit it. I'm hooked on them and severe weather in general. Not a storm-chaser, though ...
deanhills
Same here. I love watching thunder storms, particularly electric storms. We used to have some of those in Johannesburg, South Africa, and why I remember them particularly is that I was staying in a high-rise on the eleventh floor, with window to window front, so I could watch the whole show with my curtains open. Vancouver, Canada was a bit boring though. Just fine pissy drizzly stuff with none of the action. I like hard pelting rain drops as well. The stuff that drenches you completely and makes the earth smell rich.

Here in the Middle East, when it does storm once in a million years, it's over before one can really have a look at it. Haven't experienced an electric storm here yet. But did witness a cloud burst once. I was at the tail end of a journey, and was able to take cover in a building while everything around me was changing into dams of water. Reminded me of the good ol' days.
pauline123
I agree, thunderstorms are fun to watch. It is more fun to watch, in my opinion, if you are out in the country so that you can see the lightining better. I like to watch them when out in the country but when I am in the city they seem kind of dull.
deanhills
The electric storms at that time in Johannesburg were great to watch. I was living right in the middle of the city at that time. I guess my situation high up in a high-rise with no high-rises in front of the building (we had a school in front of us), as well as on a hill, also helped a lot.

Just found this great show on a rain and thunder storm. WOW! Do I wish to hear the thunder like that again. Just realized how starved I am for one. Particularly that distant rumbling while the rain is pelting.

Anyway, that electric storm I saw had the same type of zigzags as the ones in the show below. Etched against dark sky - even with the city lights.

_AVG_
Yes indeed some of the sights are fascinating and I agree it's fun to watch such spectacular images. However, it would be different for people actually present in a thunderstorm lol
Actually sometimes they may not even be safe to be in
Insanity
I think they are a great example of the wonders of the natural world. It's something we constantly try to replicate, but I don't think we will.
menino
I like watching lightning storms from a distance, and this happened only once somewhere in 2006, I think or 2007.
Fortunately, I left after sometime, coz it was a storm that came in and sweeped up the place with rain and strong winds.
TheRPGLPer
(Possiblility on storms today for us)

I like storms to the point of the winds getting hurricane force. I like the storms when the winds are at 60-70MPH but to the point of one of the storms we had, it was blowing a good 75-80MPH and that was scary.

I don't like tornadoes, either.
mattzz
deanhills wrote:
The electric storms at that time in Johannesburg were great to watch. I was living right in the middle of the city at that time. I guess my situation high up in a high-rise with no high-rises in front of the building (we had a school in front of us), as well as on a hill, also helped a lot.

Just found this great show on a rain and thunder storm. WOW! Do I wish to hear the thunder like that again. Just realized how starved I am for one. Particularly that distant rumbling while the rain is pelting.

Anyway, that electric storm I saw had the same type of zigzags as the ones in the show below. Etched against dark sky - even with the city lights.

Wow! very nice video well i like thunderstorm photography i know its dangerous but i like to click.
deanhills
@mattzz. I did it once as well. With a tripod. But it turned into a real bummer. Needed to have exposed it for longer I think. Haven't tried it again since then. But yes, probably not a very savvy thing to do when there is an electric storm.
Bluedoll
Weather is really interesting. It is an attraction though requires respect. I think it is like the sea. Walking along the beach can be so quieting but in some conditions is it wise to play around. Picture taking is very cool but I wonder if we detach ourselves from what is going on sometimes?
codemaster
I watch some thunderstorms and see what they do and how. Sometimes I watch them to get inspiration for my website. I once had a career in storm chasing but those days are over. I'm not really crazy about them but,I like watching them sometimes.
BigGeek
I need more points so here it goes another one of my post about things that I only know about from past articles and information. As far as I recall, ( just like the old fart I am) the thunderbolts.info site had articles on how thunderstorms when viewed by piolots flying at a high altitude had a blue flash component above the thunderhead preceding the flash to the ground below the thunder head. Sounds weird I know, but it implies that much of the weather activity is due to the electrical discharge from the WAY upper atmosphere rather than locally like the describe in typical outlandish weather models!

How's that for a long mindless ramble!!! Shocked
deanhills
Not bad at all. The books that have been mentioned in the Websites look very interesting, particularly the one on "Thunderbolts of the Gods"
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/resources/thunderbolts-of-the-gods-preview/

I've bookmarked the Website. GREAT Website!