FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 8 bad for PC Gaming?

weableandbob
What are your guys' opinions on Windows 8 in regards to gaming? Both Gabe Newell from Valve and someone from Blizzard have said that how closed Windows 8 is does not look good for developers. It's one of the reasons why Valve has decided to start working on getting Steam and many of its games to work on Linux. What do you guys think?
TheRPGLPer
It seems to me that it does run most games better than Windows 7, but suffers from some compatibility issues with older games. I was able to run most of my games at a 50% FPS increase from running them on Windows 7.
cybersa
I don't think so.
I think it was build from a Windows 7 base.So gaming no problem.
TheRPGLPer
Though when Windows 8 comes out for touchscreens and tablets, then I wouldn't think it would be good for gaming. Trying to play Minecraft on my 7" Tablet with Windows 8 and no keyboard... oh dear.
jonathan33
Microsoft has post that the windows 8 have 100% compatibility with windows 7 softwares/games/drivers and because windows 8 is a update of windows 7 probable it's more fast that seven Wink
pauline123
I do not know. I feel like a closed system would be bad for the developers. However, it has worked so far. I also think that it is a good move for developers, and distributors alike, like Valve to start making them more compatible with Linux. Would love to see more commercial games made to work with Linux.
sysna
now it is time for microsoft to think ! Ubuntu is free, so if next valve game releases only for ubuntu there is no doubt that everyone can get ubuntu installed on their pc/laptop and then play the game and microsoft will be left alone.

Micorosoft after Bill is now a lot weaker, he was a great man and when he left microsoft they started to get worse and worse just like what happened to apple recently.
codemaster
I think it wont be a problem I use it for gaming all the time on my Windows 8. It has not given me and problems at all.
LxGoodies
hi

Games can easily be made on closed systems too, as long as the game manufacturer can pay for the licenses to get in..

Since a few weeks I've got a Mac Airbook, it runs an EA racer without any problems, very smoothly. Except.. it's getting hot and the battery wores out quick Razz

Lx
blueray
I still can't comment it until microsoft have been released RC1 or RC2 as the preview version might change for applications compatibilty.
ghanster
Windows 8 always slows up my PC when I try to copy files or open high-memory-usage programs. How can it even support gaming? Question
thnn
I have the Windows 8 RTM (so final release) and it works fine for games. Haven't noticed any problems, everything works just as well or better than Windows 7.
blueray
thnn wrote:
I have the Windows 8 RTM (so final release) and it works fine for games. Haven't noticed any problems, everything works just as well or better than Windows 7.

thnn, it's good ! Windows 8 RTM released, Congrat !

I would like to ask how much memory you used when operating Windows 8 RTM.
And what is the config of disk sub-system in your computer system.

Thank you !
thnn
blueray wrote:
thnn wrote:

thnn, it's good ! Windows 8 RTM released, Congrat !

I would like to ask how much memory you used when operating Windows 8 RTM.
And what is the config of disk sub-system in your computer system.

Thank you !

Currently my machine is running at 2.3GB RAM used, but I have quite a few things open.

I am unsure what you mean by the config of my disk subsystem, but I have an SSD as my main drive, with a 1TB and 2TB HDD for storage. (The 1TB is also used for installs where I don't care about the faster loading speeds)
playfungames
I think that with new operating systems, they will have compatibility issues with games built for older operating systems. They just don't work the way they were designed to work. However, we have new games coming out all the time and so hopefully windows 8 will have tons of games built to work perfectly in it and we won't have to worry about older games running on this new highly anticipated operating system.
Qantas94Heavy
playfungames wrote:
I think that with new operating systems, they will have compatibility issues with games built for older operating systems. They just don't work the way they were designed to work. However, we have new games coming out all the time and so hopefully windows 8 will have tons of games built to work perfectly in it and we won't have to worry about older games running on this new highly anticipated operating system.

New games aren't always the best... It's quite common for the first in a series to be excellent and any sequels to get worse and worse as they go along. There are some noticeable exceptions, however we can't just keep buying more games (I don't have an unlimited budget for gaming).
RosenCruz
Every next edition of Windows consume more resources and waste resources for gaming Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
lightningleo
Well.. My friends, I think that you're aware that all you're talking about is the preview version.. There's more to develop, so I think its only a time waste to think that I will run better or not.. since in case like games especially hardcores., the situation will only be backward.. As the previews mainly are to show the metro system and the new look of windows 8 with no deviation towards CPU intensive programs.. As like Windows 7 runs games faster than XP.. Same will be in the case of windows 7 and 8.. So please wait until the final release..
hakaner
Has anyone tried the cod2 in windows 8 rtm? I have read a few articles about not working properly.
testsoc
Look up a definition for vested interests and that may explain Newell's thoughts/comments on the Windows Marketplace and gaming.
subhan1
As far as I know, after asking from my friends, most of the modern games works great on it. but! there will be compatibility issues as it is a new product - updates will fix those issues soon.
sysna
1 important thing to those who say there is fps increase in games , there are many many many benchmarks on the net showing a draw for both win 7 and win 8 fps in games, so if you found any fps increase in the games then it is driver related !

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331.html

gamin experience is nearly same but will you pay extra for same experience ? it is up to you.
lightningleo
i told ya.... that was only the preview release.. now when windows 8 is finally released.. its better than any other operating system.. many negative reviews have come about the windows 8 ui interface.. but its still better.. amazingly fast..with auto hybrid shutdown (shutdown+hibernation).. makes it to your desktop in jst 4-5 secs... try it...
and hey.. about the rtm release.. i thing buying retail is much better.. when it is so cheap.. but offer expires on 31st.. so.. hurry..
blueapplepiedude
I think windows 8 is good for good for gaming. I have it, I think it is good because it is more lightweight than windows 7.
manverupl
I think that Windows 8 is not as bad as people said for gaming. Evry game i tried to play works fine.
I play many games old and new for example Baldur's Gate or Assasin's Creed 3.
egclimo
Ive been using the final version of windows 8 about 2 months now. MS gave me a copy due to my Dev account program. It works pretty well once you get used to the idea of 2 desktops.
Game performance has a slight improvement over 7 but its not jaw drop you must get this level boost. Lot of cheap deals to get Win8 out there so its more or less do you want to try it
andro27
Windows 8 is not good for game. Start menu is problem and many other thing.
sysna
I am using win 8 and there is no problem in playing games, most of games run easily on it but some don't like counter strike 1.6 but anyway counter strike was not running easily on win 7 too because it was an old game and was running good on xp only.

But i haven't seen any frame per second increase in my games and some are slower too ! there should be little to no change in frames per second but because of different drivers with win 7 you can expect some games to run better and some to run worse.
Nyasro
I don't think windows 8 is bad for gaming.
I haven't found any issue regarding gaming on
windows 8 till now
chuwachuwa
i personally think win 7 is by far one of the best systems, windows 8 is not there yet
riteshk1
Well still i am not used window 8, i am using windows 7 and iin 7 most of games are working good.