FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

power grid failure in India

sudipbanerjee
The biggest Power grid failure happens in India in Tuesday evening. Three grids, Northern, Eastern and North-Eastern collapsed due to overdrawing of some states. 50% of India become dark due to power failure. 357 train cancelled or stranded. Local train service of Eastern and South Eastern become motionless through which around 10,50,000 persons travels daily. The problem starts around 1 p.m. and situation become normal after 12 a.m.

The distance between my home and office is around 60 Km and I travel it through local train. Yesterday Train service was not available and in Road, Transport was not sufficient and their was tremendous jam. I didn't able to return home in night and stayed in my Sister's house which is near from my Office.
menino
Hi Sudip, I had heard about this yesterday, and I believe that Northern part of India with an estimated 600 million people are affected with this, and will continue for another day.

Hope it gets back soon.
standready
That is rough. Recent storms here have knocked out power for some for over a week.
TheRPGLPer
Oh God, I've heard about this. I hope you guys can get it fixed soon. Hopefully it isn't as hot there is it currently is in the USA, we have tempatures up as high as 110-115 right now.
the-guide
Oh! Bad things happen! This is a huge failure that might be the largest electrical blackout in history.
How can such a huge failure happen, what had caused the grid failure?
Had this ever happened in another country?

Hope all countries will learn why it had happened from the same and get better prevention.

sudipbanerjee
On Monday it hampers only the Northern Part. But in Tuesday it hampers Northern, Eastern and North-east part. Almost 20 states and 2 union territories became dark.
bukaida
All the local trains were stalled and we had to take buses ( which were hugely crowded) to return home. Even the state government had announced holiday after 3.00 PM. The power came around 2 AM and the night was almost sleepless. Next morning we had to go office as usual.

This horrible experience could have been avoided if the WBSEB could DE-touch itself from the grid in time ( as CESC did). But the officers were simply sleeping giving rise to this calamity.
_AVG_
This was a shocking incident and I must criticize the Indian government and organization for letting it last so long, very inefficient. Yes, I think this was the worst blackout in the history of mankind
sudipbanerjee
bukaida wrote:
All the local trains were stalled and we had to take buses ( which were hugely crowded) to return home. Even the state government had announced holiday after 3.00 PM. The power came around 2 AM and the night was almost sleepless. Next morning we had to go office as usual.

This horrible experience could have been avoided if the WBSEB could DE-touch itself from the grid in time ( as CESC did). But the officers were simply sleeping giving rise to this calamity.

You are lucky that you are able to reach home. As far I know your college provided a bus up to Barrackpore. Think about me!

As far I know WBSEB don't have the De-touch facility like CESC and Western Grid.
standready
the-guide wrote:

Had this ever happened in another country?

Yes, to the eastern US in 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003
and Brazil in 1999.

Severe storms here is the US in early July knocked out power for 3 million
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57464491/mid-atlantic-power-outages-could-last-days/
deanhills
I did notice that. Wow, 600-million people without electricity. Thinking of all of the food that went rotten, and wonder whether some of it will still be used? Next thing food related illnesses .....

I'm puzzled, how come they did not notice that some of the states were drawing more electricity than there quota. I just smell a rat here. Pay offs to people who were hoping that the system would be able to survive?

@Standready. Sorry to hear about those storms. Think you mentioned a week or more ago in another thread when there was drought that you were concerned that something like this could happen. And then it did. What do you do with the stuff in your freezer? And if they say people are creative in keeping cool, what do they do where you are?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

I'm puzzled, how come they did not notice that some of the states were drawing more electricity than there quota.

Could be something as simple as...

"Hey, the alarm's going off again."
"Bah, it's the fourteenth time this month, and nothing bad happened the last fourteen times."
"Yeah, whatever... you're right" *pushes ALARM SILENCE button*
*the lights flicker and go out*
"oops"

In a rapidly growing and developing country, I'm sure power grid overloads are a very common occurrence... and operators supposed to be watching over it might grow jaded about it.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
In a rapidly growing and developing country, I'm sure power grid overloads are a very common occurrence... and operators supposed to be watching over it might grow jaded about it.
I guess after this life shattering event that's about to change in a major way! Twisted Evil
bukaida
I still do not know why it should be watched manually? Is it very difficult to design a circuit breaker which will trip below a certain frequency ? I think a very basic PLC ( Programmable Logic Controller) can do it. The electrical engineers will obviously be able to clarify the reason better.
deanhills
bukaida wrote:
I still do not know why it should be watched manually? Is it very difficult to design a circuit breaker which will trip below a certain frequency ? I think a very basic PLC ( Programmable Logic Controller) can do it. The electrical engineers will obviously be able to clarify the reason better.
Agreed. Who knows, all of those reasons could be lies. And the electricity has been illegitimately sold, hoping the system would hold it.
pauline123
Perhaps, Deanhills, is right it could have been sold. Also I have seen other reasons which have been far from believable to potentially possible over the internet. I do not know what to believe. I do know, however, that that massive a power outage would be massively annoying and being stuck in a location for even a night that one is not planning on can be highly annoying. Sorry you had to suffer through it.
c'tair
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I'm puzzled, how come they did not notice that some of the states were drawing more electricity than there quota.

Could be something as simple as...

"Hey, the alarm's going off again."
"Bah, it's the fourteenth time this month, and nothing bad happened the last fourteen times."
"Yeah, whatever... you're right" *pushes ALARM SILENCE button*
*the lights flicker and go out*
"oops"

This eerily reminds me of Chernobyl Shocked
sathishbl
sudipbanerjee wrote:
The biggest Power grid failure happens in India in Tuesday evening. Three grids, Northern, Eastern and North-Eastern collapsed due to overdrawing of some states. 50% of India become dark due to power failure. 357 train cancelled or stranded. Local train service of Eastern and South Eastern become motionless through which around 10,50,000 persons travels daily. The problem starts around 1 p.m. and situation become normal after 12 a.m.

The distance between my home and office is around 60 Km and I travel it through local train. Yesterday Train service was not available and in Road, Transport was not sufficient and their was tremendous jam. I didn't able to return home in night and stayed in my Sister's house which is near from my Office.

it was really bad thing which is happened to us.....i hope in future this will not happens again.....
ocalhoun
bukaida wrote:

And who watches the PLC for problems?
If you build an automatic system for that, who watches that system for problems?
At some level, eventually, you need an actual intelligent entity watching over things... and since we haven't developed a reliable enough AI yet, that job has to be done by humans.

(Also, automatic controls cost money. In a place where labor is cheap, having somebody watch it may well be much cheaper than installing automatic controls.)

(Also, I suspect much of the problem occurred because automatic controls were set to automatically shut things down to prevent damage when there was a problem... But then that shutdown causes more problems down the line, and it becomes a big cascading wave of failure.)
dressup12
It is people who have elected the politicians. So whenever we make responsible ploiticians we are resonsible. However we can avoid this by following:-
(i) Save electricity
(ii) Use Solar Power plant at roof tops and generate some electricity
(iii) Choose politician carefully
(iv) Participate in social awakening and ant corruption movements
capricornis
Failing infrastructure