FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

256GB Flash Drive, worth the price?

TheRPGLPer
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Datatraveler-310-Flash-Drive/dp/B0039PBFNE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343769972&sr=8-3&keywords=128GB+Flash+Drive

Is this flash drive worth the massive price you have to put in to it? It would be nice to have, however, but still... expensive...

Quote:

SPEED - data transfer rates of 25MB/sec. read and 12MB/sec. write
Convenient - does not require Administrator rights to access the Privacy Zone
Safeguarded - includes Password Traveler
Operating Temperature ? 32 to 140F (0 to 60C)
Storage Temperature ? -4 to 185F (-20 to 85C)
Josso
Niiiiice. I'd be gutted if it died though I think if I bought a flash drive that pricey I'd want a warranty
shoaib
dear it provide 5 years of warranty
TheRPGLPer
I'm not going to bother because I noticed that it only has 2 stars on the website and it says Market Price: $782.80 and Amazon Price: $197.99, which means that the price could go up at any time.

I also do not like these reviews:

I called Kingston and was told the item is fake-- serial number didn't exist.
ponlork | 19 reviewers made a similar statement

You'll try copying data and it will seem to work at first, but then it will only copy folders (not files) and it will stop working after a few hours of copying.
rdesalvo | 19 reviewers made a similar statement

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
weableandbob
It certainly looks like a counterfeit. One indication is the price-you have to realize that a flash drive that large is going to be massively expensive-if it's being sold for 75% off, there's something wrong.
badai
the model itself exist (not fake) and those who bought the original, it works.

anyway, the size is kind or big for a thumbdrive, and it's damn slow compare to other thumbdrive. even slower than external usb3 hdd. but faster than usb2 external hdd.
menino
In my opinion, flash drives should be cheap, because they don't last for too long.
They either get screwed up, and even if it under warranty, you will still lose your data.
Plus it is slow as well. 25mbps is actually slow compared to a usb capacity of 400mbps.
crystalkey
Most people are buying the fakes and are getting ripped off. Check the reviews ...
Marcuzzo
I got me a 64Gb EMTEC usb stick for about 20 and it seems to be running fine ( for now )
256GB would be nice, but a bit overkill if you ask me.
and the price is waaaay to high
TheRPGLPer
Honestly, I would much rather get a 1TB external hard drive, which is only like 2"x2"x0.5" size, and is only $80 at my local Wal-Mart. It's just as portable as a flash drive and much cheaper.
william
You can get a much faster 256 GB SSD for less than that, and that's honestly what I would spend my money on. You can also get smaller 32 GB and 64 GB drives for a small fraction of the price of one of these. But again, if I really needed to carry this much, I would buy a small portable hard drive.

I am surprised that Amazon is selling fakes though. It's very easy to end up with a fake on eBay (be it flash drives or memory cards), and I really think Amazon should take action to prevent this.
milkshake01
No. That's overpriced. And also, Flash drives have a limited number of writes. After some time, the flash drive will fail.
JasonNewman
What is wrong with a simple external HDD? Sometimes I feel as if I'm the only patient person anymore.
BadBBilly
william wrote:
You can get a much faster 256 GB SSD for less than that, and that's honestly what I would spend my money on. You can also get smaller 32 GB and 64 GB drives for a small fraction of the price of one of these.

That would be the better solution, I see the prices are dropping quickly for the lower capacity SSD's, wonder if i can finally be able to afford one now..lol
rx9876
JasonNewman wrote:
What is wrong with a simple external HDD? Sometimes I feel as if I'm the only patient person anymore.

When the external HDD is carried, there is a chance that the driver got damaged.
I lost a 250G HDD once.
abraz
For frequent travelers, I suggest using SSD/flash - less chances for it to fail.

I prefer to buy from reputable retail shop - easy for support & warranty.

Imagine losing your data due to damaged flashdisk (low quality) and all the hassle to post/justify to online retailer - not worth the hassle.
zimmer
256GB for a flash drive is a big storage for me and i have not seen it yet. For micros SD card i have only seen in the market 16GB and i have not seen 32GB of micro SD card yet.. where i can purchase this ?
firstroad
first of all,
7 new from $395.00 - 1 used from $550.00
wtf? hwo is that possible
i will buy all 7 for 400 and then sell them for 500 so i will have a profit of 700 for doing nothing

anyway
if you wanna buy something like this, you can buy an external hdd, nowadays external hdds are not like they used to, they are as small as your palm
for example look at this
it's not that big, it has 1TB=1024GB storage and the reliability of toshiba
you can put this in your pocket too
Sabbadon
In my opinion, USB Flash pendrive is useless now. pendrives in a bag near an handyphone.. bad idea Smile
if you need a little tiny storage, consider to buy a MicroPendrive, max 32GB or a microSD with Kingston G2 USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-MRG2 (Black)

If you need more space to bring with you, consider to buy an usb 3.0 box with a 128GB SSD (VERY FAST)

If you need a gigantique amount of space, and you don't need to be fast.. usb 2.0 box with 2,5'' HDD you need, 500gb for example