FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Romney's Olympian fail in UK

handfleisch
Mitt Romney wants to be president of the USA, and since he has no foreign policy experience, he is on an international tour to show his worldly diplomatic skills. But at his first stop, the Olympics in London, he put his foot in his mouth several times in one week and became a laughingstock. First he insulted the Olympics, then he met with MI5 and promptly announced to the world that he had met with MI5 (this is never done, it's basic diplomatic protocol not to announce meetings with intelligence officers), among other things. There were headlines like "Mitt the Twit"and the mayor made a public joke of Romney while addressing a crowd of thousands.

My view is that Romney really has no experience or skills dealing with regular people nor in the big world out there. He was a vicious bully from a megarich family as a youth and then a business bully as he grew his wealth. His career was getting other rich men together to take over companies and make profits for themselves, often by firing thousands of people. You don't learn people skills when you do that, you just learn to give orders while yes-men praise you. The fact that he is culturally and physically isolated in the Mormon state of Utah doesn't help, either.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/british-media-hammer-romney-olympic-comments/story?id=16867720
handfleisch
busman wrote:
Did you read everything he had said? It really wasn't that horrible; brash, unashamed, a little classless yes but he wasn't really bullying anyone and didn't say anything too wildly offensive in my opinion. Do I think Romney is a p.o.s.?; yes I do, do I think he messed up here?; yes I do, but to say it was vicous or mean idk about that. You should ask @Bikerman being a brit 'n all what he thinks.
Oh, I agree that what Romney said wasn't so bad. It was mild criticism, skepticism about London's readiness. But let's imagine some French politician unknown to the US who is running to be French president coming here on the eve of, I don't know, the Olympics in Washington DC or something (wouldn't happen), and making a bunch of presumptuous criticism. What would FOX News (and all the media) say? Basically Romney totally fumbled, made an unforced error, opened himself up to the full UK derision machine, in a place that should be easy vs. some place like Russia. Who knows, maybe he was jetlagged and not himself, but this still a sign that he's even less appropriate for prez than we thought before.

Oh, did you hear about what Romney did at his next stop, Israel? First he scheduled a fundraising dinner on a Jewish day of fasting. Then he made a speech saying Israel is doing better than Palestine because of its superior culture.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/30/mitt-romney-israel-economic-success

Quote:
Palestinian leaders expressed offence and outrage at comments by Mitt Romney during his lightning visit to Israel, in which he said the Jewish state's economic success compared with its Palestinian neighbours was due to "cultural" differences and the "hand of providence", and declared Jerusalem to be "the capital of Israel".
More than 40 people attended Romney's fundraising breakfast at Jerusalem's famous King David hotel, amassing more than $1m for the Republican election campaign. The event was moved from Sunday after Romney aides realised it had been scheduled during Tisha B'Av, a Jewish day of mourning and fasting.

What the hell is wrong with this guy? And how bad is his team that is allowing this? Don't get me wrong, I am relieved he's running and not one of the crazies (Santorum, Perry, Bachmann), but come on.
Josso
I think it was rather risky and not particually diplomatic. He's been causing trouble in Israel as well.
busman
The thing in Isreal IS pretty bad though... Damn man, this guy is like trying to lose this election. Like he is "What way can I screw this up today?" lol. I don't like Obama on a lot of things but it's not like Romney is going to be better... Probably worse tbh especially bumbling around like that.
johans
well, that's game.. being part of the Olympic game that means you are the best of the best compete against best in the world.. as being part of it consider your self the best.. lose is part of the game not everyone becomes the winner...
busman
johans wrote:
well, that's game.. being part of the Olympic game that means you are the best of the best compete against best in the world.. as being part of it consider your self the best.. lose is part of the game not everyone becomes the winner...

What? Your post is very off topic.
deanhills
busman wrote:
Like he is "What way can I screw this up today?"
This guy has invested millions in his Presidential campaign, so I'm dead certain his consultants must have advised him against putting stuff like that in his speeches. So yes, maybe saying that he is deliberately trying to jinx his campaign may not be that farfetched at all!
busman
deanhills wrote:
busman wrote:
This guy has invested millions in his Presidential campaign, so I'm dead certain his consultants must have advised him against putting stuff like that in his speeches. So yes, maybe saying that he is deliberately trying to jinx his campaign may not be that farfetched at all!

I swear it is. This man is so lifeless and drab its like like watching two galapagos tortises screwing.
truespeed
I live in the UK and i am not really aware of him,I am sure regular news watchers know who he is but i wouldn't be able to pick him out in a line up.
busman
truespeed wrote:
I live in the UK and i am not really aware of him,I am sure regular news watchers know who he is but i wouldn't be able to pick him out in a line up.

Its not a skill I am interested in keeping for much longer.
handfleisch
deanhills wrote:
busman wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing, that maybe Romney's not "in it to win it". Or it could be that his team is really bad. Remember, the GOP hierarchy messed up badly four years ago when they nominated Sarah Palin without checking a lot of things in her background. Maybe they're still messing up now, letting Romney make these mistakes.
busman
handfleisch wrote:
deanhills wrote:
busman wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing, that maybe Romney's not "in it to win it". Or it could be that his team is really bad. Remember, the GOP hierarchy messed up badly four years ago when they nominated Sarah Palin without checking a lot of things in her background. Maybe they're still messing up now, letting Romney make these mistakes.

Tbh it might just be that politics is rigged like fighting is. Like not all the time but every once in awhile in a big fight someone will say "Hmmm, how can we affect this outcome from the shadows ya know?".
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:
I am relieved he's running and not one of the crazies (Santorum, Perry, Bachmann),

I'm not.

...As you probably know, I do NOT settle for 'lesser evil's.
busman
ocalhoun wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
I am relieved he's running and not one of the crazies (Santorum, Perry, Bachmann),

I'm not.

Give @ocalhoun the Jack Daniels of evil, not the bud light of evil @handfliesh! Duh, don't you know @ocalhoun never settles for Bud Light? Twisted Evil .

Right? Am I right? Guys...?

Damn... thought I had somethin there too lol.

<3 @ocalhoun Wink
handfleisch
busman wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
handfleisch wrote:

I'm not.

Give @ocalhoun the Jack Daniels of evil, not the bud light of evil @handfliesh! Duh, don't you know @ocalhoun never settles for Bud Light? :twisted: .

Right? Am I right? Guys...?

Damn... thought I had somethin there too lol.

<3 @ocalhoun :wink:

There's a British idiom that I can't quite recall, but it's something about "not rejecting the better for sake of the best", related to "don't cut off your nose to spite your face". But actually that wasn't what I was referring to. I was referring to the much worse national atmosphere we would have if candidate Bachmann or Santorum or Perry were running around shooting their mouths off instead of Romney. Romney is bad and the most brazen liar in living memory of presidential candidates, but at least he didn't say something stupid about or try to make hay of the mass killing in the US in Aurora, CO recently. I can just hear Perry saying how it shows that the US needs more guns or something.
Bikerman
[MOD mode]
Apologies to Busman - I clicked the wrong button and instead of replying I accidentally spamcanned a posting of his and for some reason it is not available for restore.
I have therefore reconstituted the message below
[/MOD mode]

Busman wrote:
Did you read everything he had said? It really wasn't that horrible; brash, unashamed, a little classless yes but he wasn't really bullying anyone and didn't say anything too wildly offensive in my opinion. Do I think Romney is a p.o.s.?; yes I do, do I think he messed up here?; yes I do, but to say it was vicous or mean idk about that. You should ask @Bikerman being a brit 'n all what he thinks.

His comments received headlines for half a day - the news is currently in full-on Olympic mode and it takes a mass killing to even feature at the moment.
The general reaction was pretty muted. Predictably, some of the gutter news-rags went into pompous mode - how dare he criticise us etc etc, but the serious press reacted mostly with amusement (see Guardian link below).
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/us-news-blog/2012/jul/26/mitt-romney-britain-gaffes
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:

There's a British idiom that I can't quite recall, but it's something about "not rejecting the better for sake of the best", related to "don't cut off your nose to spite your face". But actually that wasn't what I was referring to.

Yeah... would you drink raw sewage, antifreeze, or cyanide?
Sorry, but the correct answer is "no", not "Raw sewage, because it might not kill you".
Quote:
I was referring to the much worse national atmosphere we would have if candidate Bachmann or Santorum or Perry were running around shooting their mouths off instead of Romney. Romney is bad and the most brazen liar in living memory of presidential candidates, but at least he didn't say something stupid about or try to make hay of the mass killing in the US in Aurora, CO recently. I can just hear Perry saying how it shows that the US needs more guns or something.

Well, yes, his views and rhetoric are bland and uninteresting lip service (last I checked, anyway)... And given some of the alternatives to that, this could be considered a positive aspect.
coolclay
At least Romney gives me something new to laugh about every day! Thank the Lord he is not the only candidate still in the republican race!
handfleisch
coolclay wrote:
At least Romney gives me something new to laugh about every day! Thank the Lord he is not the only candidate still in the republican race!

100% Agreed. I actually laughed out loud today when I saw how Romney insulted Japan this morning. He also insulted California yesterday. Very diplomatic, Willard, on top of your gaffe-tour abroad. He said to Harry Reid to "put up or shut up" about the charges he paid no taxes, when he wants to be the first president in memory not to release his tax returns! Oh, and also this week, there's this:

Again, either his team is incompetent and he's showing himself to be unqualified, or Romney's just not "in it to win it".

links
http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/romney-japanese-in-century-long-decline

http://www.mercurynews.com/california-budget/ci_21272978/romney-disses-california-compares-state-debt-burdened-countries
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:
or Romney's just not "in it to win it".

I'd very much disagree.

He's exactly 'in it to win it'... by which I mean winning the race is all he cares about. No overriding ideals, no great vision of what to do with the country, no sense of doing it for the sake of making anyone's life better (except for his own), he just wants to win: there's no other reason he wants to be president.
Horse race politics at its finest.