FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Title Tag

sameerseo
What is the characters limit of title tag?
dude_xyx
70 characters max is the limit which Google spider can read, I was told.
Peterssidan
There is no limit on the title tag in the HTML specification. The tool used to view the page may of course have limitations.
jmraker
From the html 4.01 w3c specification:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/struct/global.html#h-7.4.2

Quote:
Titles may contain character entities (for accented characters, special characters, etc.), but may not contain other markup (including comments).

When I put HTML tags and a comment in a <title> tag The 5 web browsers I have installed all show those tags and the comment as-is in the title, but I'm sure that if you intend that, you should use &lt;strong&gt; instead of <strong> for the document to be considered well-formed.
kumova
i know 80 characters is max :S but u can search again bro
cybernie
Which title are your referring?

The <title> </title> one? Or the title attribute that is used on links and images?

For a document title (<title> </title>), do not go over 80 characters including spaces.
bacati55
Hello

TITLE Tag is very important with a view point of getting traffic to your website as this is the first thing which visitor sees when he searches for any query and your website appears.
So, this should be taken care of.

Thanks
Bacati
Peterssidan
naplex wrote:
Is there any way to prevent those Title Tag (title="something") balloon boxes from appearing?

That's a title attribute, not the title tag. The simple solution is to not have a title attribute.
sonam
JettJobson wrote:
How long does it take for title tag changes to show up in search engines?

Independent how often search engine visit your site. If your site have lot of new content daily then you can get change next day. But if you don't change content every day then you need to wait for few days maybe more.

Sonam
Dialogist
jmraker wrote:
From the html 4.01 w3c specification:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/struct/global.html#h-7.4.2

Quote:
Titles may contain character entities (for accented characters, special characters, etc.), but may not contain other markup (including comments).

When I put HTML tags and a comment in a <title> tag The 5 web browsers I have installed all show those tags and the comment as-is in the title, but I'm sure that if you intend that, you should use &lt;strong&gt; instead of <strong> for the document to be considered well-formed.

It depends what DOCTYPE your document uses pertaining to the ASCII encoding. Usually it's UTF-8/Unicode and it should probably use hexadecimal characters so it would be &#xfeff;&#xff1c;&#xff53;&#xff54;&#xff52;&#xff4f;&#xff4e;&#xff47;&#xff1e; instead of <strong> so if

dude_xyx wrote:
70 characters max is the limit which Google spider can read, I was told.

is correct, does the spider count the character space or the character rendered?

In any case, I think a title with too many characters looks spammy, personally. The spiders might also see it as keyword stuffing so just a heads up if you're wanting to do that. Also, is nesting tags within the title tag WC3 valid? I'm not sure that it is. Just because your browser renders it, doesn't mean it's not going to generate errors, and if it generates errors, the spiders mightn't be back in a hurry.
sonam
Amosdean wrote:
What is displayed when the <title> tag is omitted in HTML code?
I need to know what phrase is displayed if the title tag is omitted in the HTML code for a webpage.

Actually I don't know right answer but I think nothing. But maybe some browser will display first line (or part of this line) of content. I don't suggest to omitted this tag because search engines will give you negative ratings for not finished page.

Sonam
Alex4141
Always set your meta tag in your programs, plugins, articles etc.. 40 plus character is enugh..
StevenSmith
I think a title tag is a piece of HTML code that describes a specific web pages
content through a keyword query that a person types into a search engine.
Adalew
For Google, this length is usually between 50-60 characters, or 512 pixels wide. If the title is too long, engines will show an ellipsis, "..." to indicate that a title tag has been cut off. That said, length is not a hard and fast rule. Longer titles often work better for social sharing, and many SEOs believe search engines may use the keywords in your title tag for ranking purposes, even if those keywords get cut off in search results. In the end, it's usually better to write a great title that converts and get clicks than it is to obsess over length.
Peterssidan
This is a title preview tool you can use. I don't know how accurate it is but I guess it gives some clues. It's interesting to note that the length that is shown is also affected by what words get bolded in the SERP (because bold text is wider).