FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Xbox 360 vs PS3

XxPrinceValoxX
So which of these consoles do you think will make the most money and why? Also which one are you thinking of buying?
Monkeydog
PS3 since, the Xbox360 isn't balanced enough genre wise.
Plus I hate the Xbox and Microsoft.

Also,
Rev>The rest

EDIT:There are WAY to many of these kind of topics...
Kelcey
Has there been a rule stated about console war threads yet? heh
SilverDogg
where is the revolution?

i dont know which one will make the most money, but i do know that the ps3 will be the most expensive one, and when i say expensive, i mean EXPENSIVE
Wd_removed
This thread isn't supposed to be here...

Anyway I've been a massive all out Nintendo fan, since SNES.

Revolution, will do well this time, I'm buying one.
bananaphone
And it looks pretty stupid...Oooo - look at us, we have a dual core
processor! wow - two cores, 3 gigahertz!!! THE PLAYSTATION 3 ONLY HAS 7
CORES BUT WE DON'T CARE!!!

oh - and by the way it will cost about $550 Australian dollars. Unless
you want to get the stripped down version (with no hard drive, wireless
controllers and about 10 other essential features) for $450.

The playstation will be about $350!! and its twice as fast!

DON'T BUY THE DAMN XBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kelcey
Can we just sticky this and attach revolution to it? haha
johnyfitz
While PS3 may have the better specs, xbox's backwards compatability with games and xbox live will make it hard for those already with an xbox to justify paying a shitload of money for a completely new system with completely new games. My point: xbox 360 for me, unless some miraculous manufacturing technique drives the cost of a PS3 done considerably. not gonna happen. Shame on you
Monkeydog
ummm fool, the Xbox is limited on what games it will be able to play.
The Playstation can go back two generations FULLY!
I'd much rather play a lot of PSX games than Xbox...
Plus when it comes down to backward compatibillity...

REV>ALL

HAHAHA!
Lonewolf
PS3 owns.

Plain and simple.
xender
I dont think im going to buy any of them id much rather play computer games that are the same games as on ps, xbox, but not realy nintindo thought but all those games suck anyways lol. but any ways in my opinion xbox360 will sell more because their normal xbox sold for a lot.
danglyballs
dont b silly, xbox 360 is gonna kick ass

i remember when ps2 came out, they were like its gonna be the best graphics ever nothing will beat it, boom xbox came out and splintercell destroyed it

for that reason and that reason alone i believe xbox 360 will own
plus ps3 is gonna cost like £400 and thats just too much
Monkeydog
xender wrote:
but any ways in my opinion xbox360 will sell more because their normal xbox sold for a lot.

It didn't, it sold less then almost everything else that came out in it's life time except mabye the Ngage...
The Wonderswan in Japan sold more than it >.>
thefluffyhamster
Xbox 360 might make more money because of the fact that it is coming out earlier than the ps3 and just before Christmas. Also, the Xbox has a lot of decent xbox only games e.g. Halo.

Yes the ps3 has more power, but the xbox 360 already is crammed with proccessing power, do you really need anymore?
LostOverThere
I'm going to buy The Nintendo Revolution.
Nintendo fits me well.

Nintendo are usually cheap.
And they have the best games. Smile
MeleceNi
About X360:

Related entries: Gaming, Home Entertainment

Ok, technically I was just one of many journalists at yesterday’s press preview event, but I did get a chance to spend a couple of hours with the Xbox 360. I wasn’t exactly blown away with every title I saw, but overall I walked away impressed. We’ll have a full review of the 360 once we get the review unit they’ve promised us, but for now a few quick initial impressions:
MeleceNi
First 3 point

The event started off with a lengthy tutorial to show off the ins and outs of the console, particularly Xbox Live and its media capabilities. The integration with Xbox Live is excellent and permeates the entire experience — unlike with the original Xbox, it’s hard to imagine using the console without a broadband connection.
They also had iPod nanos on hand to demo the 360’s ability to play audio stored on a portable audio device (it can actually play MP3s or WMAs stored on any USB mass storage device), and how you could listen to whatever music you liked during gameplay.
The controller itself felt good in the hand and that button in the middle brings you straight to Xbox Live. You can jump instantly in and out of Xbox Live from any game without messing things if you want to check your messages.
MeleceNi
Second 3 points:

The graphics and textures of Condemned were amazing, and Need For Speed Most Wanted was one of the most photorealistic games I’ve ever seen. Project Gotham Racing 3 was pretty sweet, too, the level of detail in each city was mind-blowing.
Somehow managed to repeatedly kick Major Nelson’s ass at Dead or Alive 4 (the game’s graphics were a bit too glossy for my taste).
Couldn’t get past practice mode in NBA Live 06 because of a bug in the build (we were playing on dev units), but it seems like they’ve managed to eliminate much of the herky-jerkiness in previous generation basketball games.
MeleceNi
last 3 points:

Kameo was a bit disappointing (supposedly it gets better once you’re in deep). Call For Duty 2 was engrossing, but like Dead or Alive 4, it also seemed like it could use a bit more texture.
The Xbox 360 doubles as Windows Media Center Extender and the demo I saw ran flawlessly, it was as if a copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition was running natively. They showed the Xbox streaming high def video off of a PC and it was perfect.
They also showed off Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Perfect Dark Zero, and King Kong, all of which I wouldn’t mind spending more time with.
MeleceNi
End:
Yeah, so the PS3 will probably have the edge over the Xbox 360 in graphics and sheer computational power, but after actually playing some of these games it’s hard to imagine all but the most diehard Sony fanboys holding out for the 5 - 7 months that’ll pass before Sony introduces their console. And at the end of the day that’s what Microsoft is after — to grab as much of the market before Sony enters the scene. Hate to say it, but as of November 22nd the Xbox 360 is going to be only game in town.
MeleceNi
PS3 tech spec point:

CPU

Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS
MeleceNi
GPU
RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound
Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

Memory
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
MeleceNi
System Bandwidth
Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)
System Floating Point Performance
2 TFLOPS

Storage
Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O
USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
Controller
Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB 2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP)
Network (over IP)
MeleceNi
AV Output
Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media
CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE
SilverDogg
why post so many different posts? bah!

anyway, i see that alot of people are wrong here.

ps3 wont be fully backwardcompitable. they have alot of problems with this.

and to the person who said ps3 will cost less than xbox360: keep dreaming! we all need our dreams!
systemofaxav
I think XBOX360 will win the war this time:
PS3 devlopment was very very expsensive, and it will be launch after XBOX 360.
XBOX 360 will be in our home for christmas and it's the best tactic to sell a lot .

I really think it's the end (or the beginning of the end) for Sony in video game. (PSP is already the beginning of Sony's end Wink )
Monkeydog
SilverDogg wrote:

ps3 wont be fully backwardcompitable. they have alot of problems with this.

and to the person who said ps3 will cost less than xbox360: keep dreaming! we all need our dreams!

Well it's going to be more than the Xbox360.
Plus thats only going on that the new PS2 had problems with like 20 games...which isn't to much.

Now the PS3 can be cheaper considering on when it's released, which all matters on how strong the 360 sells(which, probably, won't be to well)

Although neither look as tempting as the Rev...it's actually what gaming should be, unique. The PS3 and Xbox360, really have no reason of existing since a computer can play the same games, but the Rev...
LostOverThere
I wold have to agree MonkeyDog.

Anyway, when I buy a console, I want to play games, thats why I'd buy it!
Not to have some great internet connection that runs a 1kb/s (PS3) or anything.

All I want, is to play games.

Everyone is like:

OMG! PS3 WIF INTAN3T FAT WIL BE COOL, IT WILL BE AWSUM!!!1

For me?
I'm a going to buy The Nintendo Rev. now thats, what I call uniquie gaming!
Centrix
Xbox 360 for n00bs
PS3 for the pros

Im like him so much, im really wanna to buy it!
Im hate Microsoft too. (But im use Word Embarassed )

hehe

Greetz, Centrix
SunburnedCactus
LostOverThere wrote:

I'm a going to buy The Nintendo Rev. now thats, what I call uniquie gaming!

Yeah, the controller looks pretty class. Nintendo always have the best controllers.
olag
I'm going to wait some years before to buy one. My xbox please me at the moment.
waiteck
I just bought psp .. I think its better than those you guys mentioned.. lol.. Its graphics are quite awesome, great sound and its portable.. ^^
Wd_removed
LostOverThere wrote:
I'm going to buy The Nintendo Revolution.
Nintendo fits me well.

Nintendo are usually cheap.
And they have the best games. Smile

Go you!! Very accurate description of Nintendo..

Unique gaming is a very good point.. Nintendo have always been about innovation over raw horsepower.. They don't think hey lets f*** the PS3 and add 8 cores.. mwhahaha..

I also thing the PS3 is like My First Console.. Its too standard. Everyone has one. Wanna be unique? Go get yourself a decent console.
Raven The Dark Angel
I think it's rather bold of Microsoft to push out theirs first. I mean I always think whoever is first always has the tougher time. Sure they think they'll try to draw in customers with their shiny newness but really doesn't anyone remember what happened last time?

The Dream Cast was sent out first and everyone all thought it was so pretty great and new but then it like totally died. Everyone wanted the PS2 or XBox instead in the end. I think it's really important to hold off so you can work out all the bugs.

Mostly though, depending on what kind of gamer you are is what makes the biggest choice. Xbox tends to have more American made games that run along the action side while PS2 usually holds mostly Japanese stuff with RPGs and has a nice variety of other things. Even if the Xbox gets a game usually the PS2 gets it later. Like Resident Evil 4 that just came out for PS2 as an example.

Oh and quick question: Does the PS3 play PS2 and PS1 games? If it does that would really sway me considering it'll be like 3 systems in one. Also does the Xbox plan to play old games as well?
SilverDogg
raven, im not really sure what the status is for ps3 as of now, because they have had some problems with backwards compitability.
the xbox360 wont be able to play old games just out of the box, you have to download patches for each games, and some games might not get any patches, and some games might not get a patch until next year or so.
Monkeydog
The PS3 will be backwards compatible it just may have some problems...
and...
RE4 was never on the Xbox x:
Raven The Dark Angel
Quote:
RE4 was never on the Xbox x:

Oops I meant it was on the Game Cube. Sorry.

Quote:
you have to download patches for each games

Patches? Really... well at least they have something. I was hoping for the backwards captablity... I mean downloading all kinds of patches may get annoying especially when you have tons of games. It may just be easier to have the old version as well.
SilverDogg
i dont know if its patches, but its something, since they changed their... cpumaker? they changed something anyway, and because of that the xbox360 wont be able to play the old xboxgames, and therefore you have to download this thingimadoo.

id rather spend my money on a cheap system (rev), and a few games for that, and a couple of extra controllers, and maybe even download a few oldiegames, like super mario rpg =).
Monkeydog
SilverDogg wrote:

id rather spend my money on a cheap system (rev), and a few games for that, and a couple of extra controllers, and maybe even download a few oldiegames, like super mario rpg =).

I'd love to play SMRPG outside of an emulator again, and Chrono Trigger without a stupid Playstation lag.(although, I could really careless about it)
Plus this would be a good chance for certain companies *cough*SQUARE*cough* to translate and release games that didn't come to the US.
SilverDogg
i couldnt agree more =)
i hope to see secret of mana 2 in english ^_^

but i noticed one beam of light yesterday. apperantly, tales of phantasia is coming to europe to the gba. im like: WOHOOO WTF YES OMFG!!
devroom
the ps3 comes later, so the specs should be better. sony makes stations for longer, but to make games for ps is harder. so i think that there will come more games for the xbos 360, so i should buy that. And so get free xbox live and i dont think live for ps will come fast
Monkeydog
devroom wrote:
the ps3 comes later, so the specs should be better. sony makes stations for longer, but to make games for ps is harder. so i think that there will come more games for the xbos 360, so i should buy that. And so get free xbox live and i dont think live for ps will come fast

Making games for the Xbox is the most expensive and hardest.

and...
ZOMG!!! Why do you get ToP and we don't? ;_;
Well mabye we do...*looks somewere*
SilverDogg
i believe you get it aswell =)

aaaand, as far as i know, the ps3 is the hardest to work with. even harder than the ps2. and as far as ive read, its basically because of the cell O_o. apperantly it had a hard time with some things, dont remember what ;/.
thibob
for me is the ps3 better

I had the ps1 and the ps2 and the psp

Fan of sony Wink
Dj Close
PS3
thefluffyhamster
u dont really need all the proccessing power that the ps3 has.

the xbox 360 has more than enough already, and the xbox has lots of brilliant games that u can only get on the xbox

so i say get the xbox 360
mrmaxt
with many similar features:
ps3 has 7 wireless controllers xobx 4
ps3 has 6 usb ports xbox has 3
ps3 has blu-ray 360 has hd-dvd probs but dvd for games atm
ps3 has bulti in bluetooth and hi-fi, xbox has ir, wireless and buyable hi-fi adaptor
ps3 estimated to cost £400
360 costs £280

its very close to choose but the price will settle the deal for me and ill stick with the one that costs 120 less and knowing that xbox has delievered on many occasions before against playstation has let us all down
dpsthree
I have never personally owned any system newer then the ps (computer gamer). However I have borrowed both a ps2 and xbox from friends and I have to say xbox won that war for me. ps3 will make us all pay for hardware power that 99% of the users wont be able to utilize. Xbox 360 will be cheap more powerful then we need and more compatible when it is all said and done.