FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your most extreme overclocking experience...

Donutey
Post your most extreme overclocking sucess or failure...

( Please don't say things like "overclocking=bad" and so forth, by overclocking you accept that whatever you break you replace with your money...(not return btw))

Personally i got an 800mhz celly to do 1Ghz with an older system, right now I'm stuck with a non-agp/pci locked motherboard... ( in specs it said it did lock... ugh) so I can't get above 3Ghz stable with my 2.8ghz p4, without the hdd randomly spinning down, and back up...

I've replaced my ATI 9600XT's heatsink with a custom PII heatsink and added custom RAMsinks. I can get it to 600/640 (stock is 500/600) with reasonable temps (for a GPU... 49C(ish)) I'll add screenshots tomorrow... too lazy right now... lol...

Edit: I've currently clocked the memory a lot higher 688 DDR with the core a bit slower at 570... an almost 15% overclock on memory and GPU, which was what i was shooting for... I think I can get a little more out of it by re-adding a case fan ( took it out to try and resurrect an old pentium) anyway here's a screenshot:
it isn't exactly a stable configuration , and i later took it up to 580 core, but i'm pretty satisfied... I'm currently looking for the highest rock solid config...
gh0stface
Currently my computer utilizes and AMD Mobile Barton 2400+ which is about 1.83 Ghz. I have it overclocked to 3200+ speeds which is 2.2 Ghz. So I achieved about a 400 Mhz overclock on air cooling which isn't too bad.

Originally the mutiplier and fsb of the 2400+ was at 13.5x133 i think. Right now, mine's set at 11x200 while around 45 celsius idle and low 50's to high 40's when under stress.

I also have the voltage set at 1.65 and I use an Abit NF7-S v2.0 motherboard Smile

Rhysige
never tried overclocking... does it work on laptops?
SoftStag
Rhysige wrote:
never tried overclocking... does it work on laptops?

Not a good idea on laptops. Most don't give you the option in BIOS, so it is a case of taking the laptop apart and changing dip switches or jumpers. Also, you will have a big problem with cooling on laptops. There is no space to fit extra fans etc so it will more than likely overheat.

I don't know if you are aware, but many laptops drop the CPU speed when it is running on battery (often as low as 800MHz), so using it plugged in to the mains gives a huge performance boost as the processor runs at full speed.
Helios
Well, it's kinda weird.. I worked for years with hardware and electronics and haven't tried OC =P

I will get a better cooling and then i'll try =)
And I promise that i'll try something crazy Surprised
kansloos
I had my most extreme overclocking experience when I fried my
AMD 3500+ a
waiteck
my current com is at 2.0 Ghz. But OCed till 2.74Ghz. So.. I managed to overclock by 0.74 Ghz Razz..
Donutey
Helios wrote:
Well, it's kinda weird.. I worked for years with hardware and electronics and haven't tried OC =P

I will get a better cooling and then i'll try =)
And I promise that i'll try something crazy Surprised

maybe not too crazy Rolling Eyes ... a 5% FSB overclock with stock cooling would be a good start for most systems.
bananaphone
Mostly i find overclocking damages components - but both my computers are overclocked at around 2-3%.
Donutey
Quote:
( Please don't say things like "overclocking=bad" and so forth, by overclocking you accept that whatever you break you replace with your money...(not return btw))

a good 5% overclock is usually safe... and i would never run my computer 24/7 at its max stable overclock, simply because I don't need too. Rolling Eyes
Naif
Interesting thread... I too used to own a Celeron 800 MHz Donutey, was able to run it at 3 GHz without any problems by increasing the FSB from 100 MHz to 133 MHz. Used it like that for over 3 years... than later upgraded my system to a P4 2.8 GHz (FSB 800 MHz) which I am currently using. The motherboard I have is an Asus P4P800 and I am able to overclock it without any problems though this time, I dont find any reasons to do so. Because I feel a 2.8 clock speed is enough for most of the applications I run...

The only thing overclocked on my system is the graphics card, which is a Geforce4 440 MX. Its a low budget card, couldnt afford a medium range graphics card. The default core and memory speed of this card is 250 and 405 MHz respectively. I am running it at 351 and 594 MHz. The performance difference I am seeing is quite noticable. With its default speed, it used to give me a score of 4740 in 3dmark, where as now it gives 6493...

The only thing I failed to overclock on this system is the memory module I own *sigh*
Wd_removed
Brave and got a AMD Opteron 4000+ to spare? You can get it to do almost 6 GHz with very powerful cooling.. It blows within 10 minutes though.
Helios
Welliottdude wrote:
Brave and got a AMD Opteron 4000+ to spare? You can get it to do almost 6 GHz with very powerful cooling.. It blows within 10 minutes though.

Not if u have liquid nitrogen.. Razz
Bondings
Helios wrote:
Welliottdude wrote:

Not if u have liquid nitrogen.. Razz

I have a friend who claims that he can easily get up to 9-10GHz with overclocking. Only for a few minutes, though, and with some (probably liquid nitrogen) sticks.

I don't really see the point if you can only do it for a few minutes (unless as a hobby). But if you OC only a few %, then there won't be a problem with time, I suppose.
Donutey
Naif wrote:
Interesting thread... I too used to own a Celeron 800 MHz Donutey, was able to run it at 3 GHz without any problems by increasing the FSB from 100 MHz to 133 MHz...

... I am running it at 351 and 594 MHz. The performance difference I am seeing is quite noticable. With its default speed, it used to give me a score of 4740 in 3dmark, where as now it gives 6493...

I think you mean 1Ghz with that 800Mhz Celeron... 800/100 = 7x multiplier, 133*7 = ~1000Mhz/1Ghz

How far can you get your P4 to go?
Donutey
LN2 is pretty cool, but I don't quite understand all these people doing it for one shots, I can see why say.. tomshardware guide would do it...but otherwise... the only extreme cooling thats actually feasible on a day to day basis includes, but is not limited too: Phase Change Cooling (as an A/C works), peltier cooling (apply electricity, one side gets hot, the other side gets VERY cold) though i don't think its enviromentally friendly, some pull 400+watts, watercooling (either alone or with peltier), and last and definately least i saw a guy who did geothermal cooling, but he couldnt' dig a hole deep enough (ie. he hit bedrock) for it to work well...

there are some others that include copper foam, evaporative cooling, florinert (used in cray supercomputers), heatpipes, and thermosyphons... but not in wide use... (heatpipes arent really extreme... but some can be)
Naif
Yeah, sorry for that. 3 was a typo error. The reason I guess I had no problems running my system at 1GHz was due to the fact, the RAM modules I had were PC133 and not PC100.

Havent had much luck with my current processor. I am able to run it at 3010 MHz without any problems by increasing the FSB from 200 to 215, where as if I try increasing it a bit more, the system boots and works quite well but as soon as I shoot up a resource hungry app, boom, it gets stuck. At 3 Ghz, i ran Prime95 for 30 minutes and still the system was stable... At times the system seems stable running with an FSB of 216 to 220 MHz though.

The only form of cooling I am using is Air cooling: an Intel manufactured HSF, two fans for exhaust and one intake. I was reading a document about water cooling today but trying to search for an article which teaches you on how to build a solution on your own.

May I ask if whether you have any resources which might help me with my 'building my own water cooling solution' quest?

By the way, it seems you are quite an experienced overclocker. Can I ask if whether you think the reason I am unable to take my processor beyond the 3 GHz mark is due to inadequate cooling or because I am using the default VCore?
lbs
Right now I'm running an AMD Duron 900 MHz at 990.211 MHz. It's rock solid. I will probably try for 1050 MHz sometime. It is running Gentoo Linux and as stable as ever!
NuniPio
i have an amd64 3500+ it sits at around 50deg on stock settings. i figured ill need a new heatsink before i overclock it, wat you reackon?
Naif
Its fun to read other peoples overclocking experiences. Thanks Donutey for starting this thread Cool

@NuniPio: An idle temp. for a Socket 939 Athlon processor would be 45 to 50 degrees celcius, give or take. A good heatsink will surely be of help to your processor but make sure to take of the overall system temperature too

@lbs: All the best! I am sure you'll be able to take it more higher.
kennyq3a
I OCed my AMD 64 3200+ Venice from stock speed of 2.0GHz to 3.0GHz (10x * 300FSB) using a TT Big Typhoon and DDR500. I will get some SS's later.
paul_indo
Anyone out there overclocked an Athlon 2600+????

I have been thinking about overclocking it for a while but am not yet really conversant with all the aspects to do it safely. I have searched overclocking sites but it hasn't helped me much.

My computer
mb: Gigabyte 7NNXP
CPU: Athlon 2600+
RAM: Kingston KVR400X64C3A 512Mb
VGA: Winfast A180 DDR TDH
Snd: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro

It is all running on the basic specs of the mb.

I have a reasonable understanding of computers, I built this one myself, but I am not sure about the effects on other components if I start playing around with FSB speeds and such.

I'd love to hear your comments / recommendations.
TeksEnSeks
I'm running a P4-2.6HT on an Asus p4v800x motherboard with 1gB DDR400 and I overclock it to close to 3Ghz with no problems at all. I've tried running it to around 3.1Ghz with no problems but I decided to stay at 3Ghz to preserve the CPU's life a bit. Setting the overclock is easy on this board since you only have to specify the percentage of overclock (in my case, 15%) in the BIOS.

For cooling, I stuck with the original Intel CPU fan and piggybacked a second slightly larger fan onto it with a spacer in between to smooth out the airflow from the first fan before it hits the second fan. Since the 2nd fan is slightly larger, I mounted it a bit offset so some of the air it makes hits the RAM modules and the Northbridge chip as well.

I also added 2 case fans, one in front blowing air around the hard drive and the other one in the back. Both of them are fans salvaged from power supplies.

I do a lot of image, video and audio editing, plus a lot of gaming with my PC but regardless of how much load I put into it, CPU temp doesn't exceed 55 degrees. I sometimes run the CPU at 100% for hours, and considering the room temperature in this country, I guess that's a good figure.
Naif
@paul_indo: Google for Jarad's guide to overclocking. That tutorial will help you understand what FSB is and the other basic knowledge required for overclocking your computer
Donutey
Naif wrote:

By the way, it seems you are quite an experienced overclocker. Can I ask if whether you think the reason I am unable to take my processor beyond the 3 GHz mark is due to inadequate cooling or because I am using the default VCore?

Well... the 2.8Ghz isnt that great of an overclocker. 3Ghz isn't bad... if you want to go farther by raising vcore you'll definately need a new cooler... but remember NSDS(northwood sudden death syndrome) happens at ~1.7volts... I don't reconmend raising the vcore that much from stock, unless it's just to see how high it can go (at your own risk) Rolling Eyes good luck.
Naif
hmm... thanks for the reply. How long does it take for the NSDS to happen? After a while or....? I didnt know raising the vcore could damage the chipset. I dont think it will be worth it. I enjoy the thrill of overclocking but I dont think in my case, ending up with a damaged processor or chipset will be worth the thrill Wink