FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Must say I am very proud of myself right now.

GuidanceReader
When I joined Frihost back in December, I knew next to nothing about web design. The only exposure that I had was with free webhosting wizards and very basic (and old) html knowledge. I had no idea what php meant or some of the other language was. I didn't even know what a database was, or that I could use it to create a website.

None the less, I had outlived the wizard road, and knew that if I wanted to expand more I needed to take the next step. Thus my journey to Frihost. I got to creating my first html website, using Google search to help me do what I knew I wanted my site to do. I got a nice basic website, that I was very proud of, but in reality, it was obviously done by an ammature and looked pretty basic.

After that, my husband (whose webdesign knowledge is slightly higher than mine, as he has to create intranet pages at work) helped me spruce it up. He kept my stuff as a backbone and just brought it up to being more modern and professional. It was still all run with basic html, css and java. (oohh two new terms/functions I learned in the process).

Then in May 2012, I discovered OpenCart. It seemed like a good idea so I installed it. At first it was easy. It was like going back to my wizard days. Until I needed to do something complex, like creating my first template. Well that wasn't really that bad... and once I did it, I was very proud of my final product.

Didn't last long though. At the beginning of this month (2 months after installing OpenCart) I managed to stuff it all up (as in this thread). I had helped a friend put on a new app to her open cart, and in thought I'd like something similar. Only in the process I thought I deleted my stuff, couldn't find it and as a result thought I would reinstall OpenCart and then upload my back up. Only my backup was a month old and I had added a heap of new features! and clients.

Thankfully, the awesome Bondings helped me get back a lot of my stuff and I went to putting it back together. This was when I discovered the database! I thought this was great and started editing bits and pieces in there, not really understanding the intricacies that I was missing in the process.

In the process, I had all the important records (client details/log ins etc) but a lot of other stuff was lost, so I went to recreating it all (no biggy, it wasn't really a lot) but I kept getting many errors. I'd find out how to fix one and another came up. All because the database stuff didn't quite link together.

In the end I got the site to 'mostly' work, so I could function with having clients purchase my services, and the errors showed mostly where they couldn't see. So I left it while I set to work in recreating my website.

I hopped onto my subdomain and installed a new database and new open cart and manually inserted all my records that I had kept (including all my old manual records from before the website was even created). I got it all up and running nicely and the client information all working well. I even managed to shift over the login/registered details so they were working well. I learned A LOT about the skeleton of my website and as a result have a greater understanding of how it all works together AND I could not find any errors (and I tried all the links I could find!)

So I decided to move it over to my main page. And guess what!? I learned the greatest lesson of all, and so it all went without a hitch. I BACKED UP ALL my files from both the site that was already running AND the one I had just finished and ALL my database files. I then followed the steps to transfer it and it worked!

That leaves me to my title now... I am so proud of myself.

I have learned a lot in the last couple of weeks. I have learned about php, sqls and backing up all my stuff! Whilst it was a painful and long process... I am really happy to have had the experience and come out on top Smile
truespeed
You don't really need that much knowledge to run a website these days,not language knowledge anyway as installing pre-made scripts is easy,unless like you,you want to add your own template,but again with most scripts they come with lots of free template alternatives,or cheap paid for ones.

It is all trial and error in the beginning,and the more you know and learn the better prepared you are should things go wrong,i myself only know a little html,i have no knowledge of any other languages,but i get by,i try to steer clear of the database for fear of messing it up,i learnt early on always to back up when making any change to anything to do with the site,even if it is just a single webpage i am editing.

Anyway,good luck and well done on your website,i hope it goes well for you.
Helios
Hey that's so cool to hear that you've learned so much!
I'm familiar with the feeling when you try hard, attempt stuff, overcome errors and other obstacles and then in the end everything works out - that's when you feel "hell yes, it works!"

Anyway, good for you and good luck with the project!
Now you can always share your knowledge with others and help others.
the-guide
Very nice sharing experience, deserves great admiration.
Many of us as fellow Frihosters including me learned a lot here as well.

deanhills
Well done GuidanceReader! That is inspiration indeed for any person who would like to attempt a Website the first time round, particularly with installing OpenCart. I've seen quite a number posts of new members asking info about that. So now you've mastered the intricacies with trail by error. Guess that is the best learning one can get!

Very Happy
johans
good for you.. cheers.. keep it up..
Insanity
That's a good skill to have. Being able to design your website is a useful thing to put on your resume.
Insanity
That's a good skill to have. Being able to design your website is a useful thing to put on your resume.
Josso
I'm glad to hear that you've had a positive experience although I must note here my distaste towards your, borderline exploitative, business model and website content. But whatever floats peoples boats really. I'm actually glad it's there because it shows frihosting does not discriminate. I'm not trying to be annoying and I'm sorry if my comments offend you but it's just my 2 cents.
nickfyoung
GuidanceReader wrote:
When I joined Frihost back in December, I knew next to nothing about web design. The only exposure that I had was with free webhosting wizards and very basic (and old) html knowledge. I had no idea what php meant or some of the other language was. I didn't even know what a database was, or that I could use it to create a website.

None the less, I had outlived the wizard road, and knew that if I wanted to expand more I needed to take the next step. Thus my journey to Frihost. I got to creating my first html website, using Google search to help me do what I knew I wanted my site to do. I got a nice basic website, that I was very proud of, but in reality, it was obviously done by an ammature and looked pretty basic.

After that, my husband (whose webdesign knowledge is slightly higher than mine, as he has to create intranet pages at work) helped me spruce it up. He kept my stuff as a backbone and just brought it up to being more modern and professional. It was still all run with basic html, css and java. (oohh two new terms/functions I learned in the process).

Then in May 2012, I discovered OpenCart. It seemed like a good idea so I installed it. At first it was easy. It was like going back to my wizard days. Until I needed to do something complex, like creating my first template. Well that wasn't really that bad... and once I did it, I was very proud of my final product.

Didn't last long though. At the beginning of this month (2 months after installing OpenCart) I managed to stuff it all up (as in this thread). I had helped a friend put on a new app to her open cart, and in thought I'd like something similar. Only in the process I thought I deleted my stuff, couldn't find it and as a result thought I would reinstall OpenCart and then upload my back up. Only my backup was a month old and I had added a heap of new features! and clients.

Thankfully, the awesome Bondings helped me get back a lot of my stuff and I went to putting it back together. This was when I discovered the database! I thought this was great and started editing bits and pieces in there, not really understanding the intricacies that I was missing in the process.

In the process, I had all the important records (client details/log ins etc) but a lot of other stuff was lost, so I went to recreating it all (no biggy, it wasn't really a lot) but I kept getting many errors. I'd find out how to fix one and another came up. All because the database stuff didn't quite link together.

In the end I got the site to 'mostly' work, so I could function with having clients purchase my services, and the errors showed mostly where they couldn't see. So I left it while I set to work in recreating my website.

I hopped onto my subdomain and installed a new database and new open cart and manually inserted all my records that I had kept (including all my old manual records from before the website was even created). I got it all up and running nicely and the client information all working well. I even managed to shift over the login/registered details so they were working well. I learned A LOT about the skeleton of my website and as a result have a greater understanding of how it all works together AND I could not find any errors (and I tried all the links I could find!)

So I decided to move it over to my main page. And guess what!? I learned the greatest lesson of all, and so it all went without a hitch. I BACKED UP ALL my files from both the site that was already running AND the one I had just finished and ALL my database files. I then followed the steps to transfer it and it worked!

That leaves me to my title now... I am so proud of myself.

I have learned a lot in the last couple of weeks. I have learned about php, sqls and backing up all my stuff! Whilst it was a painful and long process... I am really happy to have had the experience and come out on top Smile

Hey, well done. You have good reason to be proud. You have learned a lot and it is knowledge that will stick by you fore ever. I shudder at the thought of delving into all that stuff. Much too old now to start learning it so I just plod along with basics. You are young enough and smart enough to really get stuck in and become an expert and develop a career or a good income from it. Once again, congratulations.