FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Setting up a cookiless domain or subdomain?

Navigator
I was wondering if I could set up some of my frihost domains as cookieless, this with the intention of having them deliver just content, ala CDN.

Is this possible? (please say yes!)
Bondings
Navigator wrote:
I was wondering if I could set up some of my frihost domains as cookieless, this with the intention of having them deliver just content, ala CDN.

Isn't the default situation where you don't set any cookie/session in a php file, that no cookie is created?
Navigator
Bondings wrote:
Navigator wrote:

Isn't the default situation where you don't set any cookie/session in a php file, that no cookie is created?

Well maybe in a php file, but what about an image or file? You still get a cookie with the response (I guess)
SonLight
Using plain html or php, no cookies should be sent unless coding specifically requests sending them. However tools such as wordpress, joomla, etc. normally would set cookies by default. You should be able to avoid dealing with cookies with almost any script or cms package though. You can try creating a simple html page on your site and verify that no cookies are set. Remember there may be some old cookies from visiting other pages earlier, so clear cookies (if any) from your site, display only the simple page, and there should still be no cookies from the site after your visit the page.

If you want to use some cms or other web tool, someone here can probably help you configure it to not use cookies. Be sure there are no ads, because these usually set cookies. Also, avoid using a login feature. I believe there may be an alternative to cookies even if you have a login function, but I'm not sure if it is possible or practical.
badai
maybe he mean cache.
Bondings
Navigator wrote:
Bondings wrote:
Navigator wrote:

Well maybe in a php file, but what about an image or file? You still get a cookie with the response (I guess)

As SonLight pointed out, the point is that you should never set a cookie on your domain name. In that case the client will never sent it back. And a normal image file (not served through php) will not send a cookie. But unlike what he said, it's not as easy to use a cms without setting cookies.