FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Camera flash

Tony The Tiger
I see all kinds of flashes for a huge range of prices. What do I look for to ensure I am making a big step up from the Canon Rebel T3i built-in flash?
william
Honestly, every first party Canon flash will be an upgrade. But this really depends on what you want from the flash. More power? The ability to bounce it off walls? To use it off camera? Do you need TTL (through the lens, so you don't have to control the flash manually)? Do you want versatility? Lightness? And of course, what's your budget?
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
Honestly, every first party Canon flash will be an upgrade. But this really depends on what you want from the flash. More power? The ability to bounce it off walls? To use it off camera? Do you need TTL (through the lens, so you don't have to control the flash manually)? Do you want versatility? Lightness? And of course, what's your budget?

My dad use to set up with three flashes (two off camera on tripods, one on the camera). Somehow they use to all go off simultaneously. I don't know why you need to bound off walls, I don't know what the significance of off camera, TTL, etc. are. I am still learning. Not sure if I will ever get up to off camera flash level.