FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Major Spam Botnet Shut Down

ashleyhoward
The Grum botnet, thought to be responsible for 18 percent of the worldwide spam email has been taken down by the security company FireEye, spam-tracking service SpamHaus and various ISPs. The control servers will based in the Ukraine, Panama, and Russia.

FireEye security researcher Atif Mushtaq believes that over 20,000 computers are still part of the botnet, however, with the CnCs (command and control servers) taken down, they will become ineffective. He is quite pleased with the take down, and says, “There are no longer any safe havens. Most of the spam botnets that used to keep their CnCs in the USA and Europe have moved to countries like Panama, Russia, and Ukraine thinking that no one can touch them in these comfort zones. We have proven them wrong this time. Keep on dreaming of a junk-free inbox.”

Researchers say that Microsoft is currently working to disrupt Zeus, a network responsible for the theft of millions of dollars. In May, Georgiy Avanesov was sentenced to jail for the Bredolab botnet, which experts estimate was bringing in more than $80,000 a month.

Tech News Brought To You By http://OptimizationTutor.com
pauline123
It is a good thing that it was shutdown, but there will always be someone who tries to do it over and over again as long as the internet exists. For some it is the power others the money and either way it comes down to greed and there is plenty of greedy people in the world. All it will take is the right information, knowledge, and funding for it to start all over again. However, one down so many more to go and yes this is progress!
zimmer
spam is headache for me specially on other companies... i have made a lot of researched on how the spam will not works.. the more confusing is even your own email address becomes the sender to your email address.. In this case its hard to block this kind of spam..

I dont know those company make a profit of spam.. how does it works? based on my experience i cannot working with email server before; One of my users complaint on spam so when i check it.. I delete all the spam inside the mailbox but in just 2 minutes the spam inbox automatically reached to 200 mails.. very confusing on my end how does this spam send 200 messages in just 2 minutes..

can someone explain on how does it works and how they make money from it?

Idea
pauline123
Depending on what the spam does, it can create viruses and send them information they can use to create fraudulant accounts, ads placed within the spam if it is opened can be used to generate income. I am sure there is more to it than just that, but that is some of it.
Josso
I'd say 95% of the spam bots that register to my forums are Ukraine IPs.

I keep meaning to install this mod. Checks IPs, emails, names etc against recent spam on other forums on the internet before registration is accepted if I remember correctly.
RosenCruz
Sounds like a good move. But this is just a battle. War is ongoing Arrow
deanhills
Josso wrote:
I've noticed that too, except how does one know that those are proxy numbers from people who live in the Ukraine, they could easily be people from another country who have proxy accounts? I sometimes wonder whether people could buy a proxy account with say 100 IP numbers and they make a random selection of the country IP numbers that are available. Popular ones would be Texas, USA, Russia, Ukraine, China.
Josso
deanhills wrote:
Josso wrote:
I've noticed that too, except how does one know that those are proxy numbers from people who live in the Ukraine, they could easily be people from another country who have proxy accounts? I sometimes wonder whether people could buy a proxy account with say 100 IP numbers and they make a random selection of the country IP numbers that are available. Popular ones would be Texas, USA, Russia, Ukraine, China.

Well to me personally they look most of the time like home network ISP type ranges. By spam bots to be honest I'm really taking about at least semi auto here at least if not fully manual spam posting. At a guess I would say there's some loophole or deficiency in Ukrainian law regarding matters such as this which is why people choose to buy proxys/people there to do this thing probably at 5p per post or something.
Da Rossa
Lets hope the AMTP prototocol, in which Bill Weinman (heard of him?) is working along with a few good men to solve this damning plague.