FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moving to a Different Country

thesmithy
Hey guys I'm new here. I'm from the states, but I really want to move to the UK. I don't have family there, and I don't have a certain trade I'm exceptionally good at. Just seeing how to get the hell out of here. Has anyone ever done this? How do you do it? I'm not worried about culturally fitting in or anything, more about the legal aspects like is it legal for me to get a job if I just go there, or renting an apartment, things like that.

Thanks! Much love

Jeff
zimmer
thesmithy wrote:
Hey guys I'm new here. I'm from the states, but I really want to move to the UK. I don't have family there, and I don't have a certain trade I'm exceptionally good at. Just seeing how to get the hell out of here. Has anyone ever done this? How do you do it? I'm not worried about culturally fitting in or anything, more about the legal aspects like is it legal for me to get a job if I just go there, or renting an apartment, things like that.

Thanks! Much love

Jeff

Your doing a huge step.. but if you think you can really do it then go for it.. i was an expat before but we have different issue because there is a job waiting for me. It is really a challenge specially if you have family and love ones lift behind... but if it is for your own good then don't worry go for it..

Just focus on your dream.. and of course its not bad if you have plan B if your in trouble with other country... well, UK is a good country i have been there before but not for a job but for a training..

Uk is an expensive country so prepare your extra Money and retain contacts with your family in-case your in accident or other scenarios which your mind can only work on.. sounds scarey but these you need to be careful at all times specially your the only one on your travel..

Good luck and wish you all the best.. Cheers!
thesmithy
Thanks for the input! I didn't know it was that expensive there. Can't be much worse than here though!
deanhills
thesmithy wrote:

Thanks! Much love

Jeff
I'd only move with all my things to a new country if I have all my papers in order. If anything should happen to you with no proper documentation, at least you don't have to worry about moving your things. Why not just visit the country first for a month or more to see whether you really would like it there? You can pack up all your things and maybe store it somewhere in the US, but keep your options open. If everything does work out well for you you can then ship your things from the US to the UK afterwards.

Alternatively I would do research of US companies who may need US staff to work for them in the UK. I know of friends of mine from Canada who have been helping out in the Olympics for example. My cousin from the United States also managed to get a position as a civilian driver in Afghanistan two years ago. Employed by a US company.

I'd prefer to go there with some paperwork done as cost of living is very expensive. If you do go there without paperwork, then you should make sure you have plenty of cash with you.
thesmithy
Thanks! Do you know if it would be legal for me to just go over there and find a job?
Kaitaye
I am from Poland. I have worked in England last year on vacation. Then there was little, I went a little bit of "luck". If you have desire, you'll find a job. And the more you improve your education, the more profitable you will find a job. From what I know, however, the jump in life between Europe and the U.S. is enormous. If you want to change something in your life time for sure - take a chance.
deanhills
thesmithy wrote:
Thanks! Do you know if it would be legal for me to just go over there and find a job?
Depends on your age. I think you should research it as there may be a special agreement between the US and the UK that you may be able to qualify for a Visa to work there below a certain age for travelling purposes, but there are usually a long list of restrictions that apply.

I found something at the URL below but it would probably be a good idea to contact a UK Embassy or Consulate General near you as the paperwork for their Visa applications is always complicated to start off with, but if you have patience and you qualify, you may be able to get one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_holiday_visa
thesmithy
This looks interesting, but unfortunately the US doesn't allow this. Why would we allow anything cool for the people to do? I'm looking into applying at jobs and (hopefully) getting a work visa and eventually my green card.
TheLimey
OK I did the other way round. I moved from UK to Canada when I was young and I really miss the UK. Will probably end up back there. However the "expensive UK" is pretty much a myth. On my visits back home my money goes further there than it does in Canada. Food is cheaper, Alcohol is cheaper, UK is cheaper and also looks after it's people better. Socially it is a great country. Good luck with your move
thesmithy
Thanks for the info. That's really good to know. How did you make your move to Canada?
menino
I think if you want to test the UK, only take a few clothes, and bare essentials (to last you about 3 weeks perhaps), and this will give you the opportunity to move around in the UK more easily.
Besides that, you could find some small jobs around, and test your ground, and once you get started up, you could either move rest of the things from USA, or buy new stuff from the UK itself. (latter is preferred).
I think you need to get a work permit and this depends on the company you work for, but I'm not sure if it is that difficult. It definitely is easier for a US citizen to work in the UK than an Asian, or specifically Indians like me, and a lot of my friends would love to do what your doing, if it wasnt for the restrictions and getting a visit visa and other formalities involved.
I wish you the best of luck though. Hope you find what your looking for.