FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Little piece of history I found today

watersoul
I finally got around to clearing out some boxes which I hadn't looked in for a long time and found a 1914 diary of one of my late great grandmothers. Unfortunately there are not many entries to give me much information about her life, but I did notice this rather chilling note on the 5th of August "All reserves called out for war."

Her week started well as a national holiday - "Went to Porthcawl, had a glorious day" then Tuesday "Went to Jersey Marine, met P after" (P is mentioned a few times and I'm guessing he was her sweetheart), but the mention of the reserves being called up just reminded me of the reality of war for the average folk - I'm also wondering have our worlds governments/leaders really learned that much from the mistakes of the last 98 years?
deanhills
That is a great find. Great hand writing too.
watersoul
I'll admit it was quite a lucky find, there is also a poem written in the first couple of note pages:

Quote:
With what a pleasure we behold
The petals of the soul unfold
And tend them with a gentle care
Til they expand to beauty rare

But oh, with deeper joy we see
A life of true nobility
And think how much, to us it owes
Of all the peace that round it flows

...I googled it with no matches found so I guess it's a 1914 original from my great grandma Smile
standready
Very Cool watersoul! No governments have not learned anything from history so naturally they will repeat it.
Ankhanu
standready wrote:
Very Cool watersoul! No governments have not learned anything from history so naturally they will repeat it.

... what he said.
watersoul
standready wrote:

Ankhanu wrote:
... what he said.

Cheers chaps, it is rather tragic though that in all the time which has passed since those words were gently penciled in the diary, we have still not come much closer to a non-conflict world where our different "tribes" leaders are any less willing to send the ordinary people away to fight Sad
chasbeen
Well don't forget that there was only 21 years between WW1 and WW2
and WW2 finished 67 years ago
However there are real deferents that have probably something to do with that.
watersoul
About 10% of British soldiers are on active combat duty right now.
The numbers involved in direct conflict may be less these days, but the reasons are still as questionable to the guys in charge as they were 98 or 67 years ago (in my opinion).
Afaceinthematrix
It's too bad that your grandmother wasn't someone famous; then you'd have an item that would get you quite a bit at a pawn shop or the right historical auction.
watersoul
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
It's too bad that your grandmother wasn't someone famous; then you'd have an item that would get you quite a bit at a pawn shop or the right historical auction.

Lol, I'd thought that as well! Laughing
wellerchap
A great find.
At the foot of the left page, the word "Mazawatee"....clearly chocolate in this case, but we played a game called mazawata (?) in junior school - I think with a tennis ball....we'd shout "Mazawata - jumping cracker - A, B, C!" for some reason!
I wonder if you've helped me make a link back to the 1970's aswell?