FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What song are you listening to right now ?

deanhills
Looks as though the thread "What song are you listening to right now ?" is bursting at its seams - the thread seems to be dragging when one is posting. Is it possible to lock it and start a new one?

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-19667.html
Peterssidan
What do you mean by dragging? When logged out all the posts and the many youtube videos makes the page load kind of slow but when logged in I don't think there is a problem because there are only a few posts visible on each page.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
What do you mean by dragging? When logged out all the posts and the many youtube videos makes the page load kind of slow but when logged in I don't think there is a problem because there are only a few posts visible on each page.
Try and post a youtube show and see what happens. Since we're already at post number 144 I don't think it's going to get better.

Another suggestion, if someone has the time, is to edit the thread by dumping all of the YouTube shows up to 2012.
Afaceinthematrix
Better yet I would close and it not open a new one. It is essentially a contentless post that just invites spam and easy points by allowing people to post something that takes them 30 seconds, leads to zero possibility of discussion (because no one actually needs to read what other people post; they just need to post their song and move on), and gives a couple of points that will do them for a few days. Posting here should take more than a grand total of 90 seconds a week. If it doesn't then the forum will fail.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Better yet I would close and it not open a new one. It is essentially a contentless post that just invites spam and easy points by allowing people to post something that takes them 30 seconds, leads to zero possibility of discussion (because no one actually needs to read what other people post; they just need to post their song and move on), and gives a couple of points that will do them for a few days. Posting here should take more than a grand total of 90 seconds a week. If it doesn't then the forum will fail.
Not a bad idea. Very simple to do as well.
truespeed
I would do the same with all long threads like your favourite browser,started in 2005 it has no relevance now.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
I would do the same with all long threads like your favourite browser,started in 2005 it has no relevance now.
Except nostalgia of course as I love those threads. I remember when we had that avatar search competition it was great to work through those threads. One got a good picture of who were posting and some came up with some interesting comments too. But I'm all for being practical when it makes sense, and it does make sense to close the threads.
truespeed
I think the thread should stay,just that it should be locked,what was a good browser in 2005 isn't true of what is a good browser in 2012,maybe start the thread again with all the current popular browsers only this time don't keep it open for so long.

Edit: It is even a sticky,an out dated thread stickied,i think a mod needs to go through the various forums looking for and removing the sticky status of some of those threads.

Thread here for anyone who isn't sure which thread i am talking about,just another point,chrome was recently added to the list,it hardly has any votes,anyone seeing the poll for the first time would be lead to think that those using frihost don't rate it as a browser.
truespeed
Another thread that needs unstckying the windows vista official thread ,there are probably more,i have only checked a couple of categories.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Another thread that needs unstckying the windows vista official thread ,there are probably more,i have only checked a couple of categories.
Agreed there are many of those. I also meant locked, not remove, and perhaps unsticky. Unsticky is a great idea.
subhan1
Bruno mars FTW !
subhan1
btw Jason Mraz is on of my favorite Smile
Peterssidan
subhan1 wrote:
Bruno mars FTW !

Haha, here we have someone who only reads the thread title. Wink This is what Afaceinthematrix complained about.
truespeed
Peterssidan wrote:
subhan1 wrote:
Bruno mars FTW !

Haha, here we have someone who only reads the thread title. Wink This is what Afaceinthematrix complained about.

Another suggestion worth pursuing,delete all posts by users who fail to read the thread and what it is about but post anyway,so depriving them of points and coins.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
subhan1 wrote:
Bruno mars FTW !

Another suggestion worth pursuing,delete all posts by users who fail to read the thread and what it is about but post anyway,so depriving them of points and coins.

A decent policy, to a point... but sometimes, especially on ridiculously long topics, it's unreasonable to expect everyone to read all of it.

(Particularly one like this topic's title is referring to...)
share55555
its a song.. i forgot the title... ^_^
menino
There's a song by Nichole Nordeman, named and Any Grant, called "I'm with you!"

Here is the youtube clip = [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW4r72nJObw[/youtube]

The sounds and the song itself sounds really nice and pleasing to the ear.
Hope you'll like it as well. Smile
ocalhoun
share55555 wrote:
its a song.. i forgot the title... ^_^

menino wrote:
There's a song by Nichole Nordeman, named and Any Grant, called "I'm with you!"

Here is the youtube clip = [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW4r72nJObw[/youtube]

The sounds and the song itself sounds really nice and pleasing to the ear.
Hope you'll like it as well. Smile

At least read the first post, even if you're not going to read the whole topic!
Josso
No why bother. It's split into pages for a reason. Just be thankful you don't have X amounts of replies on one page.

Youtube embeds making browsers slow is a poor excuse for starting a new thread. I know threads on other boards with 100% youtube links and yeah it does slow stuff down a tiny bit but once the page is loaded it's no problem. Tbh the 32mb of pics recently was much more of an issue than say 20 youtube embeds. BUT THAT'S WHY WE HAVE STOP LOADING BUTTONS!

@afaceinthematrix - Totally see your point mate I suppose it's a cop out for people that are not willing to get involved in proper discussions due to point agendas, lack of english, etc but when you look at sections like P&R it's pretty daunting for people that just want to chill out post a few things then leave.
ocalhoun
Josso wrote:

Youtube embeds making browsers slow is a poor excuse for starting a new thread. I know threads on other boards with 100% youtube links and yeah it does slow stuff down a tiny bit

I've got a flashblock addon for firefox I really like for that. All flash objects are replaced by a blank square with a play button. They don't load until I click that button.
Very nice for pages with too much flash, like threads full of youtube videos.
Quote:
but once the page is loaded it's no problem. Tbh the 32mb of pics recently was much more of an issue

...Now who could that have been?

...At least I did put a warning on it though.
Josso
ocalhoun wrote:
Youtube embeds making browsers slow is a poor excuse for starting a new thread. I know threads on other boards with 100% youtube links and yeah it does slow stuff down a tiny bit

I've got a flashblock addon for firefox I really like for that. All flash objects are replaced by a blank square with a play button. They don't load until I click that button.[/quote]

Sounds good I might get that actually. I use noscript but that sounds like it's a bit more selective
ocalhoun
Josso wrote:

Sounds good I might get that actually. I use noscript but that sounds like it's a bit more selective

You should also try quickjava if you want more control over it.
It gives you buttons on the lower bar for javascript, java, flash, cookies, css, images, and animated images. Those buttons all toggle on/off the features they correspond to with one click, so you can use or not use whichever of those you want at any time. ^.^
darthrevan

I have been listening to that song, I like it Smile
truespeed
darthrevan wrote:
Code:
[youtube]VKertqQ9Ihg[/youtube]

This isn't what the topic is about.
darthrevan
truespeed wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
Code:

Hmm the topic is called :What song are you listening to right now". I believe mentioning a song does match this topic Cool
truespeed
darthrevan wrote:
truespeed wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
Code:

Hmm the topic is called :What song are you listening to right now". I believe mentioning a song does match this topic Cool

If you read the OP.

deanhills wrote:
Looks as though the thread "What song are you listening to right now ?" is bursting at its seams - the thread seems to be dragging when one is posting. Is it possible to lock it and start a new one?

You would understand that this is a thread in the suggestions forum asking if the original what song i am listening to thread should be locked and another started,I am pretty sure it wasn't his intention to restart the thread here in suggestions.
darthrevan
truespeed wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
truespeed wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
Code:

If you read the OP.

deanhills wrote:

You would understand that this is a thread in the suggestions forum asking if the original what song i am listening to thread should be locked and another started,I am pretty sure it wasn't his intention to restart the thread here in suggestions.

Woops :-\ Didn't notice this was in suggestions, assumed it was in the Music thread.

Yeah I would be fine with deleting my posts and/or closing this thread.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
truespeed wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
Code:

If you read the OP.

deanhills wrote:

Oops right Truespeed. I thought I was in the music sub-forum. I didn't pay proper attention. Ah well, we had chess here a while ago, now music. Good to liven it up here now and then. Twisted Evil
sonam
truespeed wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
Code:

Jeah, but if you don't read all other post you cannot from title to know this. Maybe deanhills can change title in something specific for suggestion. Otherwise we will get lot of answers from new members. And I am in tempt to post some youtube link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAsA00-5KoI

Sonam
Ankhanu
sonam wrote:
Jeah, but if you don't read all other post you cannot from title to know this.

In general practice, if you don't read the other posts... ESPECIALLY the first one, you really can't be sure what the thread is about... If you haven't read at least the first post, really, it's stupid to reply, as you're likely not going to be discussing the same thing as everyone else.

Headlines (topics) don't tell the story, they get attention so that you read further. If you're making decisions on the headline alone, you're almost certainly going to be wrong.
sonam
Quote:
Headlines (topics) don't tell the story, they get attention so that you read further. If you're making decisions on the headline alone, you're almost certainly going to be wrong.

I am absolutely agree with you but new members don't think in this way. When I come first time I have the same problem. In this time my English is not very well (now is little bit better), and I am looking for topic where I don't need to much write.

But now we are going off topic and I don't want to extend this discussion. I am agree with deanhills with idea to lock too long discussions (not only this one with music) and start new one with the same title.

Sonam