FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to Keep a Computer on a network off the Internet

Possum
Hi

I have an old computer that I only use for storage. I want to have this computer on my network but I don't want it to see or be seen by the internet.

I only want my other computers to see and be seen by the Internet..

How can I do this

Thank you..
Navigator
A proxy is the way to go. If you have a router or a switch you can manually configure it, but probably that ain't all that necesary, perhaps if only 1 computer is the one connected to the router then check your firewall or proxy config.
badai
just set the IP manually without any gateway and dns. only ip and subnet to match your intranet.

to be totally safe, disable upnp in your router. but that's not really necessary anyway.
Possum
OK.. I have got something to go on and learn my way into ..

thx
pauline123
Good luck with setting this up. It can be difficult depending on how your computer behaves. Sometimes they like to reset to a configuration that you have not used for years and thought you had removed completely. Sometimes they work wonderfully.
menino
Actually, if its an old computer, and you've installed linux on it, it comes with a free firewall called IP tables, which you can use to block everything.
Of course, fi you want to block everything, you might as well just disconnect the network altogether.
If you want to use it as a storage device (pseudo), you could just put a share on it, and have all the other computers in your home access it, although old hardware is generally slow to store and serve files.

There are free firewall / proxy softwares in windows, though none comes to mind right now, except zone alarm, which takes time and patience to use, and pops up everytime you try or the machine tries to access the internet.
pll
badai wrote:
just set the IP manually without any gateway and dns. only ip and subnet to match your intranet.

Three simple steps on Windows (XP,Vista or Win7) :

-Config Panel
-Network and Connections
-Set Network Connections

And then you right click on the Internet connection usually used by your local network, you go properties and under TCP/IPv4 you change the IP address, without any gateway or DNS (which is asked).