FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Closed loop liquid cooler fluid

weableandbob
Does anybody know what type of fluid most closed loop liquid coolers use? I received one yesterday during a LAN, and I'm aware that they're very reliable, but I want to know whether the fluid used in them is electrically conductive or not in case it ever breaks. There are non-conductive fluids for hand-done liquid cooling systems, so I assume that closed loop ones use such a coolant, but I want to be sure.
william
I think it depends on the cooler, but as far as I recall the Corsair closed loop liquid coolers use distilled water with an additive to prevent organic buildup and corrosion (propylene glycol, I believe). I'm fairly sure that most do use distilled water with additives. So yeah, the liquid will mostly likely be conductive. I have seen a few instances of Corsair closed-loop cooling systems leaking and damaging parts, but every case I've seen resulted in Corsair not only replacing the cooler but all of the destroyed parts as well.

That said, if you are concerned, you could modify the cooler yourself and use the liquid of your choice.
weableandbob
I'm using a ThermalTake one, but I'm not too worried. I won't be using my desktop much once I head off to college soon. Thanks for the information though!
bijit
http://www.generalairproducts.com/Air-Fluid-Coolers.html