FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is FreeFTPSpace?

polly-gone
If you type ns1.frih.net into your browser's address bar, it goes to a site called FreeFTPSpace, which is also located at http://freeftpspace.org.

That's kind of weird that one of Frihost's nameservers resolves to another free host with the exact same feature set.

-Nick
Bondings
It is indeed a pretty small free host similar to Frihost. Definitely not the same feature set though, although similar. I knew the owner for over seven years now from the internet. We both created a free hosting site (he created StoneRocket and FreeFTPSpace is a recent sister site) at around the same time.

Anyway, a good 2 weeks ago he wanted to completely stop the free hosting and the server was canceled in short notice. I was alerted by a shared member about it (there are quite a few actually as a few links were posted to us when they stopped providing free hosting, which happened a few times) and was able to buy it and continue the hosting that way. I run it as a separate website/community.

I put that website on Server 2/3. It's not supposed to show up for the nameserver, though, and I fixed it now.

The good thing for Frihost is that I got a nice new cPanel server (the same as Server 4, but with cPanel) for this and I'll be able to move VPS1 users to it in some time. That should stop the VPS1 problems for good (although I have to say that the problems are mostly gone now, but a powerful server is never a bad thing).
johans
the same avatar.. http://www.freeftpspace.org/forum/U-Haplo
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
The good thing for Frihost is that I got a nice new cPanel server (the same as Server 4, but with cPanel) for this and I'll be able to move VPS1 users to it in some time. That should stop the VPS1 problems for good (although I have to say that the problems are mostly gone now, but a powerful server is never a bad thing).
That's great news! Will we still have FrontPage Extensions enabled on it as before?
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
That's great news! Will we still have FrontPage Extensions enabled on it as before?

No unfortunately not, unless someone really really needs it. The FrontPage Extensions are deprecated now and won't be supported any longer by new software.
johans
Bondings wrote:
deanhills wrote:

No unfortunately not, unless someone really really needs it. The FrontPage Extensions are deprecated now and won't be supported any longer by new software.

that's wonderful if it use cpanel.. does it have softacoulous? can we request another account in there?
zimmer
polly-gone wrote:
If you type ns1.frih.net into your browser's address bar, it goes to a site called FreeFTPSpace, which is also located at http://freeftpspace.org.

That's kind of weird that one of Frihost's nameservers resolves to another free host with the exact same feature set.

-Nick

its nice if it has cpanel and other add on 1 click installation on control pannel.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I do, as my Frihost Website space has been my premium and most often used space because it still has FrontPage extensions enabled. But if I'm the only one who needs it, and it's on its way out, then I'll of course work my way around it. I've figured out a plan B that also works with MS Expression Web, but not all servers without Frontpage Extensions seem to be able to work with MS Expression Web. Must have something to do with how their security settings have been set up. In one case I only needed to set my log-in and password to the Website space once. Then after that I was set for life basically, and whenever I make modifications can upload directly from Expression Web on my computer to the Website space in seconds flat. Then some servers just refuse to talk with MS Expression Web. My Plan C is dedicated FTP Software. I tried Filezilla once and it does work brilliant, but it means some extra steps to move from my Expression Web Editor to Filezilla and then upload to the site.