FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Israel Supreme Court: Occupation? What occupation?

cfvergara
http://972mag.com/judiciary-panel-appointed-by-netanyahu-concludes-there-is-no-occupation/50451/

(disclaimer: 972 is a sort-of-centrist israeli magazine and thus hosts rather varied viewpoints that you might find offensive)

A supreme court committee in Israel just published its findings: There's no occupation going on, and no such thing is even possible since Palestine is not a country recognized by anyone (even if it actually is, by countries like mine).

The most stunning part of this whole thing is, as quoted from the article:

+972 wrote:

Now that we found out that there is no occupation and there never was, I wonder how the great minds of the Israeli legal community would justify the two separate legal systems Israel has in the West Bank – one for 20 percent of the population (Jews) and one for the other 80 percent. If it’s not occupation, how do we call a situation in which millions of people are deprived of freedom of movement, tried in military tribunals, and don’t even have a recognized nationality or a passport? And don’t say Apartheid, because you’ll be called an anti-Semite.

What's wrong with this people?!?

Regardless of your opinions on the matter (occupation's right, occupation's not, palestine is a country, palestine is not) stuff like this ends up being a nontrivial cause of hatred towards jews everywhere, and handling conflicts like this is the precise reason why more conflict arises. It's rather clear that it's not with kangaroo courts, annexation and trigger-happy governments that you solve the problems in the region.
slimviking
cfvergara wrote:
http://972mag.com/judiciary-panel-appointed-by-netanyahu-concludes-there-is-no-occupation/50451/

(disclaimer: 972 is a sort-of-centrist israeli magazine and thus hosts rather varied viewpoints that you might find offensive)

A supreme court committee in Israel just published its findings: There's no occupation going on, and no such thing is even possible since Palestine is not a country recognized by anyone (even if it actually is, by countries like mine).

Indeed is more correctly an APARTHEID regime, not an occupation.
deanhills
slimviking wrote:
cfvergara wrote:

Indeed is more correctly an APARTHEID regime, not an occupation.
Not sure what you mean, can you explain what an apartheid regime is and why it would apply to Israel?
zimmer
Israel has its rights to protect there people and there country. I support Israel on there campaigned. I have seen Israel and other surrounding country by Israel that they wanted to control Israel but Israel has its power when it comes to military and weapons.

In fact, they are the most advance in technology and programming. PHP language originate from ISRAEL.
ocalhoun
zimmer wrote:

In fact, they are the most advance in technology and programming. PHP language originate from ISRAEL.

____ are the most advance in technology and engineering. Jet engines originate from ______.

Have fun and fill in the blanks there.
(The moral of the story is: technological superiority does not imply moral superiority.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
(The moral of the story is: technological superiority does not imply moral superiority.)
Does say something about the standard of education and technological capability however. Which would require quite a high level of intelligence. And the capability to make judgment decisions about what is right and wrong. Not sure I see it as moral superiority, more like a moral code of ethics that may differ from those who are critical of it. Especially in Israel among citizens themselves. Rarely that they come to an agreement about what is moral and just. Probably because of their high level of intelligence every point of view is always open for an argument. Testing it over and over again to the point of absolute intellectual exhaustion.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Does say something about the standard of education and technological capability however. Which would require quite a high level of intelligence. And the capability to make judgment decisions about what is right and wrong. Not sure I see it as moral superiority, more like a moral code of ethics that may differ from those who are critical of it. Especially in Israel among citizens themselves. Rarely that they come to an agreement about what is moral and just. Probably because of their high level of intelligence every point of view is always open for an argument. Testing it over and over again to the point of absolute intellectual exhaustion.

I'm curious... did you figure out what goes in the blanks in my post?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

I'm curious... did you figure out what goes in the blanks in my post?
I think I did, but whether I was on the wrong trail or not, how would it have made a difference to the final statement about the moral of the story?
ocalhoun
Well, allow me to make it obvious:
Nazis are the most advanced in technology and engineering. Jet engines originate from Nazi Germany.

Now, are you going to argue that the Nazi engineering prowess implies high intelligence which in turn implies good judgement about what's right and wrong?
I sincerely hope not.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Nazis are the most advanced in technology and engineering. Jet engines originate from Nazi Germany.

Now, are you going to argue that the Nazi engineering prowess implies high intelligence which in turn implies good judgement about what's right and wrong?
I sincerely hope not.
You're judging this on a dictatorial Government that did not really represent the capability and views of all of the citizens of the country.

I'd say that the Government of Israel is as democratic as that of the US, if not more so, as the US is really governed by only a small group of people who have all of the money and power. I'd say furthermore that the general mind frame of people is pretty much the same as the US. If that were not the case, the US would not have supported Israel to the extent it has. I think those who do not like Israel are fabricating a lot of information to make Israel look worse than it really is. There may be an element of truth in some of the misinformation, but the media is being used for soft warfare on Israel. I'd like not to buy into that.

Point I was trying to make is that Israel has a very high standard of sophistication and I probably should have added that it is a democracy as well. People there argue intellectually about right and wrong all of the time. And like the rest of the world try their best to go for right.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

I sincerely hope not.
You're judging this on a dictatorial Government that did not really represent the capability and views of all of the citizens of the country.

And the Israeli government does represent the capability and views of all citizens of the country?
Even the Palestinians?
Even the residents of certain contested border areas?

No government is perfect. Not even close. And certainly not that one.
Quote:

People there argue intellectually about right and wrong all of the time. And like the rest of the world try their best to go for right.

Nobody thinks of themselves as evil. Everybody, even the Nazis, thinks they were doing the right and moral thing.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

I sincerely hope not.

And the Israeli government does represent the capability and views of all citizens of the country?
Even the Palestinians?
Even the residents of certain contested border areas?

No government is perfect. Not even close. And certainly not that one.
Absolutely correct. No government is perfect. I don't think I said the Israeli Government was perfect either. And yes, the situation in Israel, and particularly on its borders is VERY complex.
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
People there argue intellectually about right and wrong all of the time. And like the rest of the world try their best to go for right.

Nobody thinks of themselves as evil. Everybody, even the Nazis, thinks they were doing the right and moral thing.
True. Like Bush who invaded Iraq as well. Or maybe in twenty years from now there will be huge arguments about how evil it was for the US to have been in Afghanistan.
mqmpakistani
cfvergara wrote:

The most stunning part of this whole thing is, as quoted from the article:

+972 wrote:

Now that we found out that there is no occupation and there never was, I wonder how the great minds of the Israeli legal community would justify the two separate legal systems Israel has in the West Bank – one for 20 percent of the population (Jews) and one for the other 80 percent. If it’s not occupation, how do we call a situation in which millions of people are deprived of freedom of movement, tried in military tribunals, and don’t even have a recognized nationality or a passport? And don’t say Apartheid, because you’ll be called an anti-Semite.

What's wrong with this people?!?

Regardless of your opinions on the matter (occupation's right, occupation's not, palestine is a country, palestine is not) stuff like this ends up being a nontrivial cause of hatred towards jews everywhere, and handling conflicts like this is the precise reason why more conflict arises. It's rather clear that it's not with kangaroo courts, annexation and trigger-happy governments that you solve the problems in the region.

One need not to hide behind the democracy, or the mistakes of different Government.

Simple sense of Humanity is enough to tell that this is wrong, this is an abuse to humanity, and must be condemned.

The educated world should be very careful of it's activities, while in my world (uneducated one), Taliban minded people will use this as an excuse, and will do 100 times more worst things with the minorities.
capricornis
It is hard to fully understand and appreciate the Middle East conflict unless you are an Israeli or Palestinian