FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


25 Myths About Christianity





Afaceinthematrix
Okay, so I admit that I am just being a little mean here because poking fun at stupid religious propaganda never gets old. I was just googling "Where did the Christian myths come from?" because I am trying to find the source of the Christian myths. We all know that there have been thousands of flood myths - many older than the Torah, thousands of Gods who have died and been resurrected, many different concepts of afterlife, etc. It seems that the Bible is just one giant plagiarized book taken from many other myths and then written in a way as to be as boring as possible (try reading Norse mythology and Greek mythology; those myths are actually a little fun to read). Does anyone have a good reference to suggest to me about where many of the concepts came from? Anyways... The fourth website to come up was:
http://www.inplainsite.org/html/25_myths_about_christianity.html

It is title 25 Myths About Christianity. As you can expect, this is filled with a bunch of crap that is either trivially easy to debunk or quite offensive. So here starts the fun:

Quote:
1. If you were born in America you’re a Christian.
Well, as usual, when trying to discover the Truth about something, it’s best to define terms. The simple definition of a Christian, a definition which might apply to anyone since the days Jesus walked the earth, is "one who follows Jesus." This simplicity, however, belies an underlying complexity which we should not overlook. One who follows Jesus also believes that He is God and that He rose from the dead. They have been reconciled to the Triune God but only by Christ’s sacrificial death at Calvary. They have confessed and repented of their rebellion against God and now seek to obey Him out of love and respect. Their hope is to spend eternity with the one, true God. The United States was certainly founded on Judæo-Christian principles, but it is not a nation of Christians, no matter what the polls say. To suggest that a person is a Christian because he/she is American is as illogical as saying that being an Arab makes one a terrorist. (See One Nation Under God and Founding Fathers)


First, I have NEVER heard someone say that if you were born in the States then you're a Christian. NEVER! I was born in the States. I live in the States. I'm an atheist. Plus this is essentially content-less. It says absolutely nothing about Christianity. Although it does spread the rumor that our nation was built on Christian principles when that is WRONG! The nation was built on secular principles that long predate Christianity and most of our founding fathers were deists at best if not atheists.

Quote:
2. A Christian must attend church every week or else!
The Bible teaches in Hebrews 10 that believers (Christians) should not neglect the fellowship of other believers. It’s a good thing—a great thing—to praise and pray, read and sing, rejoice and weep, with others who are under the Father’s wings. BUT, it is not "necessary unto salvation." Unfortunately, Tradition has blessed us with the idea that God will disown us and squash us like arachnids unless we attend church every Sunday. But, as with everything divine, the heart of the church-goer is infinitely more important to Him than the act of church-going. (Please do not use this as an excuse not to go to church. The benefits of attending a Christ-centered church are immeasurable.)


Actually, I have never seen any evidence showing that there are benefits gained from attending a Christ-centered church. The majority of prisoners are Christians and atheists make up an over-proportioned percentage of academia (i.e. if 15% of the general population are atheists then far more than 15% of academia will be atheists). Furthermore, societies where Christianity rates are far lower - such as Sweden - seem to be quite well.

Quote:
3. It’s OK for Christians to sin. They say they’re forgiven!
It is true that a repentant person—one who is sorry for his/her rebellion, desires change, and wants forgiveness—can get right with God because of the Blessed Sacrifice of Jesus Christ. But "it’s OK to sin"?! Yikes! Throughout the Bible, His people are exhorted to clean up their act. Jesus Himself says "Be perfect, as your Father in heaven Who is perfect." To the woman caught in adultery, He says "Go now and sin no more." James writes that "faith without works is dead." Evidently, although we are not saved by our behavior, it is, nevertheless, of great importance to Him that we obey. Through our self-sacrificing obedience to Him we conform more to His image; we become more fully His children. And believers are then a stronger witness of His transforming powers. (See The Myth of Faith Alone and What Is Holiness?)


This actually is true. That is one of the more disgusting parts about Christianity. Your god doesn't seem to care about doing actual works. You can be a child-molesting murderous rapist and still get into Heaven as long as you repent before you die. God doesn't seem to hold people accountable for their good or bad deeds; all he cares about is people worshiping him and only him because he is a jealous and egotistical bully.

Quote:
4. Any good person is a Christian.
Well, just what is "good"? The Christian faith teaches that no one is good but God. Isn’t it because we are not good—pure in soul and body—that we need the Savior, the One who delivers us from our "non-goodness" and back into fellowship with the Creator? Simply put, the reasoning here is completely backwards. Becoming good is quite clearly the effect of a transformed Christian life, not its cause.
(See Sin)


This is actually a myth spread only by Christians and so I am happy to see it on this website. Many Christians seem to have this stupid, ignorant, and arrogant attitude that morality comes from their bible - which is about a god who (quoting Richard Dawkins) is "arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

Quote:
5. All Christians are conservatives.
Let’s define our terms first. Suppose we define a conservative generally as one who likes things the way they are, status quo; and a liberal as one who wants change. Clearly to a Christian there are some things that need changing in this land: the hearts of men for one thing, also the collapse of the nuclear family, homelessness, the drug problem, greed fueled by capitalism, pro-abortion laws, unbiblical discrimination, the wave of "hate" crimes, bias in the media, legalism in the Chuch, toleration of homosexuality, etc., etc. In this light a Christian might be a liberal (Oh no!). On the other hand, some things must remain the same: what’s left of Judæo-Christian principles, freedom of religion and to worship, laws protecting the sick and elderly, etc. Is the believer now to be a political Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde? May it never be! When all is said and done, their allegiance is to their God, not to a political ideology; and when given any choice they are to choose what God wants, not what "the party" wants.


This is just disgusting, hateful, homophobic, and bigoted. Let me prove that point by bringing two parts out: Christians are against "unbiblical discrimination."

So this stupid ****** think that discrimination is okay if it is biblical? This just confirms my view that Christianity no longer has any value to our society and that we'd be better off without it. It gets worse: the next thing that they are against is "the toleration of homosexuality." So not only do they not want it legal (because they are stupid homophobic bigots), but they don't even want it tolerated? Are they trying to make this whole world like Saudia Arabia where we stone homosexuals? What is their problem?

Quote:
6. The Christian life is so very fun and easy!
This misconception is propagated by some well-intentioned believers probably to bring people "into the kingdom." But if the Truth be told, as it always should, the Christian life is not easy; it’s not always fun. The New Testament is filled with examples and warnings that to choose God means to be prepared to suffer for Him. The gifts He grants believers, however, gifts such as joy, peace, forgiveness, everlasting life with the Master, far outweigh whatever "suffering" American Christians encounter and provide hope for the multitude of other believers throughout the world being persecuted for their faith. There are at least two reasons why our stay here is not endless fun. One is that there is an Enemy determined to get us back and destroy us. Another is best put by C.S. Lewis:


Christians have to "suffer?" WTF? They practically run this country that I live in. They have all the power and essentially make things the way that they want it. Shut the f*** up and quit whining.

Quote:
7. Only Christians go to heaven. All others burn in hell!
The committed Christian, as defined in Number 1, is assured of eternal life. But merely being labeled a Christian assures one nothing. In Matthew 7, Jesus says that not all who call Him "Lord" will see Glory—mere acknowledgment does not equal commitment. And what of those who have never heard of Christ? Will they "burn in Hell forever"? The Bible implies in the first chapters of Romans that those people who have never heard of Jesus by name but respond to His "invisible qualities" which "have been clearly seen" in their hearts and through Nature, that those people might receive eternal life. (Jesus is referred to, after all, as "the Light that gives light to every man.") But, above all, what the Bible makes clearest is that because of Jesus’ perfect sacrifice and abundant mercy, those who want to spend eternity as willing servants to the Most High God can be reconciled to Him and thus repossess that which was lost: spiritual union and indescribable Joy with the Father. Those who do not want this will not receive it; God will not force it against their will. Theirs will be, quite literally, a Godless hereafter—without Hope, without Joy, without Peace. In fact, theirs will be no "Life" at all. But their existence without God is of their own choosing. Sadly, "the gates of hell are locked from the inside." (See Religious Stew)


If people who have never head of Jesus can still get into Heaven, then why are they out in third world countries in Africa trying to "spread the good news?" All that they're doing, assuming that their absurd religion is correct, is setting those poor people up with a chance to go to Hell when they were on their way to Heaven by default. Jerks.

Quote:
8. You’ve got to be baptized in water to go to heaven.
The entire Bible, chapter after chapter, from the Old Testament to the New, makes it abundantly clear that we are not saved by anything we do; we are not saved by any "works." The Bible screams from every page that we are saved by our faith in the completed work of the Messiah, Jesus Christ. It was His sacrificial work at Calvary, dying in our place, that saves us. The act of baptism is a deed. We are not saved by deeds. Therefore, we are not saved by the act of baptism. It is true, however, that we ought to be baptized. Baptism is the public declaration of being set apart for Him; the Christian’s signal to the world that he/she has died to sin, been washed in the blood of Jesus, and has now risen again with Him, victorious over Death. Therein lies the Beauty of the rite of Baptism. There are several events in the New Testament proving that people are saved apart from baptism. One obvious example that the physical act of baptism does not save us took place at the Crucifixion. The thief being crucified next to Jesus said to Him, "Master, remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus did not reply with, "Hey, unless you get baptized first, you’d better get ready to dodge flames!" Instead, knowing the man’s heart, Jesus replied, "Truly I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." (See Baptism)


Again, you are not saved by deeds. You just have to love that "petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." What kind of people who follow a supposedly loving god that lets you do whatever the hell you want simply if you worship his egotistical ass?

Quote:
9. Heaven will be boring.
Picture this: The Almighty Creator of all the Universe, the Designer and Organizer of everything from the smallest subatomic particle to the most majestic of galaxies, the Giver of Life itself, the One who knows the heart and mind of every creature, the One Who can create from absolute nothing or annihilate at will, looks around Heaven and says with dismay, "Great! And I thought they would be happy—but just look at them! They’re all bored stiff! Now what do I do???" It’s hard to fathom, after only a moment’s reflection, that the Almighty Living God has an eternity of boredom awaiting us. Wherever Heaven is and whatever He has planned for us can only be the ultimate in growth, development, understanding, excitement, and fulfillment—Life as it was always meant to be. Spending timelessness as a willing servant of the Most High can be nothing less. (See Heaven A very interesting look at the question of whether there will be time and space in Heaven).


The Bible describes Heaven as a place where you bow down and worship the lord for all eternity. That sounds worse than any Hell that I can imagine. I won't go to church now because I'm not going to bow down and worship that terrible God for an hour. What makes you think that I'd want to do it for an eternity? Imagine, you go to church for a million years and then realize that you've barely gotten started on that eternity! That isn't pleasant to think about. You're just bowing down to the lord and singing his praises. Imagine if I told you that I'd give you an award if you did something and then you did it and I then said, "Okay, for your reward I will let you bow down and worship me and sing praises to me for five minutes." I'd imagine that most people would give me the finger. That's only for five minutes; imagine an eternity!

Quote:
10. Christians despise Mormons, JW’s, and other cult members.
The so-called "cults" (such as Mormonism, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Science) are so called because, among other things, while often claiming to be "Christian" they deny or sabotage the fundamental doctrines of orthodox Christianity, namely the Deity of Christ and His finished work on the cross. This tends to irk a lot of Christians who see this as a personal attack on their Saviour; implying that He is something less than God or that He didn’t do quite enough in His death. Thus, wrongly, some Christians will utter some pretty unchristian things. But this is not as Jesus wants it. As in everything, He commands His people to hate the sin (or doctrine or false teaching or misunderstanding) but enlighten the sinner in love. (This is, ironically, the same attitude He has towards Christians themselves.) There are many Christians who do just this, just as Jesus commands, but, more often than not, they are the ones working quietly behind the scenes, while (as with any group) the loud-mouthed abuse-hurling zealots get all the publicity. (See Section on Cults)


Christianity is a cult also. I believe that because Slayer made a song about it. Okay, in all seriousness, Christianity started out as a cult and just got lucky enough to get big. Besides, this is the "No True Scotsman" fallacy and so I don't need to elaborate anymore.

Quote:
11. Christianity is really only a crutch.
What is implied by this trite little phrase is that a faith in God is just an artificial means of making it through this life, used by people too weak to face up to the hardships of reality. On the contrary, bowing down in service to the Almighty and being reconciled to Him as His child is the ultimate Reality. Facing the fact that one cannot make it through this life alone, that one needs to surrender to the Great Physician and have Him show us our spiritual sickness and then heal us from it; that is not a Crutch, but a deliverance from one. The real artificial means of support belong to a person under the illusion that he/she can do just fine, thank you, without "divine interference," an interference intended to save. This is the height of folly that leads, regretfully, to the depths of Hell.


"This is the height of folly that leads, regretfully, to the depths of Hell." Yeah... you believe that it and it only proves this "myth" about Christianity. You're afraid of a sky fairy playing fire with you. Most people also go to their church for support, encouragement, and fellowship. So that myth is extremely true and that statement pretty much collapses on itself as you're reading it and so I won't say anymore.

Quote:
12. Christians believe in three Gods!
The doctrine of the Trinity, as it’s known, is a part of Christianity which is admittedly very difficult to understand. The facts are these: Christians for the last two thousand years and Jews for thousands of years before that have believed in a single God. The Old and New Testaments of the Bible are so clear on that doctrine that it is unarguable. Then along comes our Messiah, Jesus Christ. He makes constant references to His "Father," the God of the Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob—the God of the Jewish people. But Jesus also claims to be God. He does not claim to be the Father, but He claims to be a second "person" of the Godhead—equal to the Father in divinity. On top of that, the same Jewish authors of the New Testament, all staunch monotheists, refer to a third distinct person of the Godhead whom Christians call the Holy Spirit. The dilemma is this; that while remaining strict monotheists, these writers and Jesus claim that there is more than one distinct personality in "God." This leaves for Christians the unenviable task of trying to reason something which is beyond human reasoning. An imperfect analogy to the Trinity doctrine might be this: Something simple for us to describe is a can. It is cylindrical in shape; from the top it appears circular, from the side it appears rectangular. Now imagine having to describe this simple geometric shape to some imaginary being living in only two dimensions; someone with height and width, but without depth—a flat person living in a flat land. Our can cannot be described. The being will never be able to see how something—the can—can be a circle and a rectangle at the same time. "The two cannot be one," he might exclaim. Now for us living in three dimensions, we see and believe. For our flat friend, however, the best he can do in his present condition is believe. So it is with us and the extradimensional God of the Bible Who claims to be three persons yet one God. Our three spatial dimensions severely limit us in our comprehensions of an extradimensional Trinity. Belief in three persons in one God is not illogical or irrational but, in the truest sense, it is beyond reason. (See Understanding The Trinity)


This is just staying a bunch of nonsense that isn't even in the bible, is speculative, and basically the opinion of one ass who figured out how to use an html editor to get his crap online. Since that has nothing to do with what Christianity actually is and more of what a bunch of people claim it is, I'll move on.

Quote:
13. Christianity is just like all the other faiths in the world. They are all equally correct.
Christianity is not atheistic (belief there is no God) or polytheistic (belief in many gods) or pantheistic (everything is God). Therefore, it is not like Hinduism or Buddhism. And, therefore, neither can those three be equally correct because they contradict each other at their very foundations. Of the major monotheistic faiths (belief in one God), Judaism and Islam teach that Jesus of Nazareth was a mere mortal prophet; Christianity teaches that He is God. Clearly and concisely then, not all faiths are alike and not all can logically be correct. And if you’re deciding about the truth of Christianity versus other faiths, then you need ask yourself the fundamental question, Who then was Jesus of Nazareth? If He is God, if He is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life" as He claimed to be, then all other religions fall short. If you can prove that He is not God, that He was either a liar or insane, then you have an obligation to enlighten Christians of this new-found discovery and deliver them from their darkness. (Please see our other tracts, Do You Believe Jesus of Nazareth was ONLY a Great Moral Teacher? and But Who Do You Say That I Am?) (See Section on Religious Pluralism’ and several articles on This Page)


There is evidence that Christianity is polytheistic. The biggest piece of evidence is the commandment to not have any other god before your jealous god. Why would that god bother saying to not put any other god before him if there weren't other gods? Furthermore, you can even worship those gods - just don't place more importance in them than this jealous god!

And Christianity is just like any other religion: irrational, unlikely, improbable, silly, nonsensical, a crutch, and a fairy tale that even adults believe in. Christianity has just as much evidence as any other religion I can think of. That amount of evidence is none.

Number fourteen and fifteen are essentially content-less and so I will skip them.

Quote:
16. Someone becoming a Christian might as well plan on packing up and going to China as a missionary.
Someone becoming a Christian might as well plan on doing whatever God has planned for them. That’s part of what being a Christian is all about; obeying the Loving Creator God even to the point of death. Of course, the likelihood of being called as a missionary is not great. God may continue to use a person at exactly the place they were before Christ—as a cashier at an Alpha Beta or as a probation officer or as a school teacher. A Christian’s duty is to follow where He leads and to have the faith that wherever one ends up, on the mission field or working a 7-11, that one can serve Him according to His perfect plan.


Why again would they send missionaries? So that you can tell people about Jesus of Nazareth so that they have a possibility of ending up in Hell (which might do them a favor compared to Heaven)?

Quote:
17. Christians aren’t allowed to think for themselves.
People who make this statement can probably show what seems to be some evidence to support it. It may appear that followers of some TV evangelists just sort of sit there, doe-eyed, absorbing everything without questioning. It may appear that a group of people listening intently to a particular preacher must really be mindless. It may appear in conversation with some Christians that they seem to parrot whatever their pastor or priest says without suffering the burden of critical examination. When this is true, it is not much different then when one accepts everything in a newspaper or on the 6 o’clock news or in a TV commercial, or when throngs of people go to hear their favorite candidate at a rally, or when any of us listen to gossip and believe it. Humans, by nature, are often mentally out of shape; they don’t often "exercise their little grey cells."


Christians AREN'T allowed to think for themselves...

"Clearly to a Christian there are some things that need changing in this land: the hearts of men for one thing, also the collapse of the nuclear family, homelessness, the drug problem, greed fueled by capitalism, pro-abortion laws, unbiblical discrimination, the wave of "hate" crimes, bias in the media, legalism in the Chuch, toleration of homosexuality, etc., etc. In this light a Christian might be a liberal (Oh no!). On the other hand, some things must remain the same: what’s left of Judæo-Christian principles, freedom of religion and to worship, laws protecting the sick and elderly, etc."

I quoted that earlier. Read my bold parts. Words like "clearly" and "must" imply that it is required. So a Christian must have certain political views - which just so happen to be the views of their leader, the Pope? Yeah... Those sheep are thinking for themselves. Just read what it says in the Bible. Jesus calls Christians sheep for a reason - they FOLLOW. They do what the Bible says. Remember the parable in the book of Matthew 25:31-34? "When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left." Long story short, goats go to Hell and sheep to Heaven.

Quote:
18. Conversion to Christianity is only the result of a weak mind experiencing an emotional high.
Fallacious argument alert! Implicit in this statement are several assumptions: 1) that all conversions are based purely on emotion, and 2) that emotional experiences are always invalid. One would have a lot of explaining to do to prove this right. What about the multitudes who have come to Jesus with nary an emotion at all? What of those who have given their lives to Jesus in an emotional high, but then, after the "high" is gone, continue in their new life in Christ? What of those masses throughout the ages who actually inspected the claims of the faith, realized that they were the Truth, and then committed their lives to Christ?


And any rational minded person would conclude that a religion about a "cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree" would convert to Christianity how? Rational decisions are made using your head - not your emotions. If someone makes a decision purely based on emotions then they did not make the decision rationally. They made have made a rational decision, but that was pure luck. Rational reasoning will lead to rational decisions all the time. Emotional reasoning will often lead to irrational conclusions and if it doesn't it was lucky. It is irrational for me to buy a lottery ticket because I am wasting my money with a 1 our of 170,000,000 (or something like that for the mega millions in the States) chance of winning. If I win, it was still an irrational decision to buy that ticket - I just got lucky.

19 and 20 are content-less. 19 has to do with the trinity bullshit again which I am sick of dealing with and 20 literally says, "20. Christians watch only Christian television" which I have never heard said. Their response is literally "Uhh...no" and so there is no discussion.

Quote:
21. Christians actually have the nerve to believe theirs is the only true faith!
Today’s society in America is very "tolerant" and pluralistic. There are many faiths, creeds, beliefs, "sexual preferences," races, ethnic groups, cultures, etc., etc.. It is becoming more and more unacceptable to claim a single right way or answer for anything—that would lead to "intolerance" and "intolerance" is heresy in America today. Many people believe that all people are right "in their own way," that we should "live and let live."

Well... Jesus, the Founder of the Christian faith, begs to differ.


I bolded that last sentence for a reason. So they're agreeing? If they agree with that then how is it a myth? Epic failures to this dumbass writing this.

Quote:
22. Christians must believe that the world was created 6000-10000 years ago in six 24-hour days.
Oh no they don’t. There are Christians who believe this. There are also many Christians who don’t. Some believe the world has been around for billions of years and the six "days" of creation were six indefinite periods of time, not six 24-hour days. They believe their interpretation in no way contradicts the Bible. Both groups claim to have evidence to support their beliefs. But salvation is not based on one’s interpretation of the first chapters of Genesis. A high priority of a Christian’s walk is not the details of how God created the world—much of which is a matter of interpretation—but that He did; that it was no cosmic accident born of countless random events, but a designed, deliberate act of the Creator. One of the most important parts of the Creation account for any Christian is Genesis 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." There is now purpose and meaning to our existence; there is a Sovereign in charge. It is a tragic fact that some have rejected Jesus and his Grace and Mercy because they were told that "real" Christians must believe in the absolutely literal 24–hour day interpretation of Genesis. [See Evidence for a Young Earth and Age of The Earth]


This loses all credibility simply by them placing a link at the bottom for "evidence" of a young Earth. And that article that they linked to is on their own effing website. Many Christians believe this and I am surprised that they are intelligent enough to function. Although I do find Kent Hovind videos hilarious because of their absurdity.

Quote:
23. Christians actually believe in the virgin birth and that Jesus fed five thousand people with two fish and five loaves of bread and that he raised people from the dead, and, oh yeah, that he...
In short, what is being said is that Christians believe in miracles—supernatural interventions into history. What appears to irk a lot of people is that in the New Testament Jesus says a lot of wonderful things like "love your neighbor," but then He is reported as doing "impossible" things like giving sight to a blind man or stopping a storm—those miracles again. For some, that makes the Bible invalid. But these people start off with the premise, "There are no such things as miracles." Why not? Do they mean there is no God to cause miracles? Or do they mean there might be a God but that He doesn’t interfere with His creation? But, if there is a God, what prevents Him from interfering with His own work whenever He so chooses?

Christians believe—and it is no mighty leap of faith—that the Creator God has set up certain laws which govern our Universe (like Gravity and Motion, etc.) but that He is free to intervene whenever He wants. They believe that miracles have been a part of human history since Adam, that they have been used to bring glory to God, and that even now they occur. Apart from Judaism, there is no other world faith which believes miracles to be such an intricate, interwoven component in the fabric of cosmic and human history. It has been said that if one takes the miracles out of Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. that nothing will be changed; they will remain the same. Take the miracles out of Christianity and there is no Incarnation, no atoning Sacrifice, no Resurrection—no Christianity. (See Miracles)


I bolded that part because it is a large leap of faith. I believe that there are laws of physics - but certainly not set up by a creator. That is a large leap of faith. And again, this second paragraph is AGREEING with the claim. So WHY put it?

Quote:
24. Christians are not allowed to enjoy sex! Ever!
Christians believe that God is the Creator of all things, material and immaterial. Therefore, His creation also includes our desires; our desires to satisfy hunger and thirst, for fellowship, love, knowledge, affection, and, dare it be said, the pleasures of s-e-x. None of these are evil in themselves, but they can be used in ways God does not allow. The glutton, the drunkard, the sufficatingly affectionate mother; all of these are examples of desires gone bad. The human being who was intended to be Master of these desires has become their slave. The same thing happens with sex. God has reserved sex for the sanctified partnership called marriage. It is intended both for pleasure and as the miraculous means by which we can "create" life, and He will bless this act of becoming one physically only for a couple who are now one spiritually. But He chooses not to bless sex before or outside marriage. Obviously, the correct fulfillment of any desire, including sex, is important to God. And what is important to God should be important to His sons and daughters.


Yeah... That hooker that I got in Amsterdam a couple of months ago was quite fun and Christians are not allowed to enjoy that. Sucks for them. Sex is also enjoyable with my girlfriend. I suppose that this actually is a myth because they can enjoy sex - occasionally and in very strict circumstances. Although they do miss out on a lot of other enjoyable sex.

Quote:
25. Christians are commanded to hate homosexuals.
Maybe they are commanded to, but not by Jesus. Jesus doesn’t say "For God so loved the world (except for them hell-bound homosexuals) that He gave His only begotten Son"? The command of Jesus to His followers in this situation is the same response for any group which is diametrically opposed to God’s will: Hate the sin, show the sinner the Truth in love. The Bible makes it abundantly clear that homosexuality is wrong; that it draws the person away from God rather than towards Him. But trying to get a lost soul back to God and thus healed is not accomplished by name-calling. Jesus ate and drank with sinners; so ought Christians who want to be like Him. In His manner, believers may win some to Christ. [See Section on Homosexuality]


What a bunch of bigoted, homophobic ASS*OLES!!!! They just admitted that their stupid, piece of crap, bible actually commands people to hate homosexuals. Oh, but it's okay, because it didn't command that in all parts of the bible... Jesus didn't say it... Just God (in the Old Testament). Oh, but read number 12 and you'll find out that Jesus actually is God. Checkmate, bitches!
nickfyoung
Great post. Thanks for that. Very entertaining.

No 24 reminds me of the wife of the pastor of the largest Pentecostal church here in Australia. She published a book titled,' Spirit Filled Women Have Better Sex'.

Never got to read it. Wonder what it was about.

[Mod mode]
Quote of previous (long) posting removed
Bikerman
[/Mod mode]
Helios
Afaceinthematrix, calm down with the language! You can, I'm sure, write what you have to say without cursing and flaming.
Actually, this way you'll get better replies and you might have a better chance of people listening to your arguments... just control your emotions a little.

I suggest editing your original post unless you want us to handle more reports against YOU. We dislike handling reports, by the way.
Afaceinthematrix
Helios wrote:
Afaceinthematrix, calm down with the language! You can, I'm sure, write what you have to say without cursing and flaming.
Actually, this way you'll get better replies and you might have a better chance of people listening to your arguments... just control your emotions a little.

I suggest editing your original post unless you want us to handle more reports against YOU. We dislike handling reports, by the way.


I do not apologize for anything that I said because I do not believe that I was in the wrong. I used a few swear words. Big deal. Frihost edits them out anyways. If I wrote a**hole then Frihost would replace the whole thing with asterisks.

I offended a few people so they felt that they needed to report me? Them getting offended is their problem. I routinely deal with way worse offensive things on this forums. A couple people in this forum have recently been not only supporting, but encouraging the death of people who draw pictures of the "Prophet" Mohammad. I deal with their absolute hatred and wishing of people's deaths.

The fact of the matter is that I wasn't openly attacking Christians for being Christian. Yeah I did call this one specific person that does not even visit these forums a complete idiot because, quite frankly, he is (as I have shown). But I didn't call Christians as a whole stupid, retarded, moronic, or anything. I said that their ideas were but if you cannot attack someone's ideas then having a philosophy forum is ridiculous. Therefore, there was no reason to report me, and quite frankly, I just don't care that they did because I do not feel that I did anything wrong. I attacked a religious idea and some people can't handle that. Some people believe that if you disagree with them then you're being offensive. Recently, I got reported because someone said that you need to respect the beliefs of everyone and I responded with "No, I don't. I certainly don't respect the beliefs of Nazis, racists, sexists, homophobes, etc." and that actually got reported! No joke... Seriously?

More people would respond to my post if it was less offensive? I just don't care about it. The reason why I wrote this was because these are common, real, and dangerous beliefs of many Christians that I constantly see on these forums. I wanted to have a post ready so that next time someone spews off their dangerous propaganda I am already prepared. Look at some of the "myths" about Christianity that aren't actually myths. Christians are told to hate homosexuals and homosexuals get treated terribly in the States. Just look at some of the postings by Busman and see some of the crap that he routinely has to deal with because of a preference that he was born with and has no choice over. I feel terrible for him. Look at some of the other "myths." Christians aren't allowed to think for themselves and most do believe that the Earth is 6,000-10,000 years old. We have SERIOUSLY powerful politicians in the U.S. with huge amounts of influence that are extremely close to getting this stuff taught in SCIENCE classrooms at the expense of actual science. This would put the U.S. back hundreds of years.

The fact of the matter is that these are very powerful people - not fringe groups - and some of these dangerous ideas are held by powerful people. I will not stand by and let them get away with things such as getting religion taught instead of science in classrooms and their open hatred and bigotry of homosexuals. That would be crazy of me. The best way to do this is openly ridicule the ideas (although I did not ridicule any person this forum) and show that these ideas are of zero credibility and deserve zero respect because they are irrational, illogical, delusional, and dangerous. Therefore, I do not think that I was out of line and so I do not apologize for it. I am sorry if that makes me unpopular on here. If people reported my original post - as they will probably report this one - then they really need to get used to people having other views. Those people can respond to me; Hell, they can even tell me that it was them that reported them and I still will not personally attack them. However, if they don't want their ideas questioned then they can go over to the Faith forum - that is what Bondings created it for.
nickfyoung
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Helios wrote:
Afaceinthematrix, calm down with the language! You can, I'm sure, write what you have to say without cursing and flaming.
Actually, this way you'll get better replies and you might have a better chance of people listening to your arguments... just control your emotions a little.

I suggest editing your original post unless you want us to handle more reports against YOU. We dislike handling reports, by the way.


I do not apologize for anything that I said because I do not believe that I was in the wrong. I used a few swear words. Big deal. Frihost edits them out anyways. If I wrote a**hole then Frihost would replace the whole thing with asterisks.

I offended a few people so they felt that they needed to report me? Them getting offended is their problem. I routinely deal with way worse offensive things on this forums. A couple people in this forum have recently been not only supporting, but encouraging the death of people who draw pictures of the "Prophet" Mohammad. I deal with their absolute hatred and wishing of people's deaths.

The fact of the matter is that I wasn't openly attacking Christians for being Christian. Yeah I did call this one specific person that does not even visit these forums a complete idiot because, quite frankly, he is (as I have shown). But I didn't call Christians as a whole stupid, retarded, moronic, or anything. I said that their ideas were but if you cannot attack someone's ideas then having a philosophy forum is ridiculous. Therefore, there was no reason to report me, and quite frankly, I just don't care that they did because I do not feel that I did anything wrong. I attacked a religious idea and some people can't handle that. Some people believe that if you disagree with them then you're being offensive. Recently, I got reported because someone said that you need to respect the beliefs of everyone and I responded with "No, I don't. I certainly don't respect the beliefs of Nazis, racists, sexists, homophobes, etc." and that actually got reported! No joke... Seriously?

More people would respond to my post if it was less offensive? I just don't care about it. The reason why I wrote this was because these are common, real, and dangerous beliefs of many Christians that I constantly see on these forums. I wanted to have a post ready so that next time someone spews off their dangerous propaganda I am already prepared. Look at some of the "myths" about Christianity that aren't actually myths. Christians are told to hate homosexuals and homosexuals get treated terribly in the States. Just look at some of the postings by Busman and see some of the crap that he routinely has to deal with because of a preference that he was born with and has no choice over. I feel terrible for him. Look at some of the other "myths." Christians aren't allowed to think for themselves and most do believe that the Earth is 6,000-10,000 years old. We have SERIOUSLY powerful politicians in the U.S. with huge amounts of influence that are extremely close to getting this stuff taught in SCIENCE classrooms at the expense of actual science. This would put the U.S. back hundreds of years.

The fact of the matter is that these are very powerful people - not fringe groups - and some of these dangerous ideas are held by powerful people. I will not stand by and let them get away with things such as getting religion taught instead of science in classrooms and their open hatred and bigotry of homosexuals. That would be crazy of me. The best way to do this is openly ridicule the ideas (although I did not ridicule any person this forum) and show that these ideas are of zero credibility and deserve zero respect because they are irrational, illogical, delusional, and dangerous. Therefore, I do not think that I was out of line and so I do not apologize for it. I am sorry if that makes me unpopular on here. If people reported my original post - as they will probably report this one - then they really need to get used to people having other views. Those people can respond to me; Hell, they can even tell me that it was them that reported them and I still will not personally attack them. However, if they don't want their ideas questioned then they can go over to the Faith forum - that is what Bondings created it for.



I didn't object to your post. Actually, as I said in my last post, I found it entertaining.

Can I ask you something. You said at one point in your post quote, "Although I do find Kent Hovind videos hilarious because of their absurdity. " Do you not think a Christian could have a similar view to your post and viewpoint.

You found the viewpoint of Kent Hovind entertaining because it was so removed from your viewpoint. Your post could have the same effect on some Christians don't you think.
What one person sees as absurd another will see as logical and what one sees as logical another will see as absurd.
Bikerman
Quote:
You found the viewpoint of Kent Hovind entertaining because it was so removed from your viewpoint. Your post could have the same effect on some Christians don't you think.
What one person sees as absurd another will see as logical and what one sees as logical another will see as absurd.

No, this is a common misunderstanding/misconception amongst many theists and other people without a good grounding in logic/science/critical thinking.
It relies on the fundamental fallacy that 'all views are valid'. This is demonstrably false. If someone believes that the speed of light in vacuum is 10 metres per second, they are WRONG. It doesn't matter about context or other beliefs - they are just WRONG.
Likewise, when Hovind spouts his nonsense he is WRONG. It isn't a matter of opinion or interpretation, he is simply WRONG. In fact I'm pretty sure that most of the time he actually KNOWS he is wrong - which is why he isn't just ignorant, he is a liar. His dishonesty is apparent in nearly everything he says. Apart from the fact that he is currently serving a 10 yr prison sentence for dishonesty, he makes several claims which are easily checked and, when checked, turn out to be lies. For example:
'I taught high-school science'.
Lie - he home-schooled a few students who were the children of religious fundamentalists. He has never worked or taught in ANY high school in the US.

'I have a doctorate'.
Deception. He purchased a scam qualification from an 'organization', called 'Patriot Bible University', which is based in a caravan and which has no accreditation or recognition by any reputable body.

Most of the claims he makes in his 'lectures' are similarly dishonest. He misquotes, misrepresents and simply makes stuff up all the time. His criticisms of evolution are actually not just wrong, they are laughable, and anyone who thinks that this charlatan has a point is woefully ignorant of even the most basic science.

* Anyone interested can read his 'doctoral thesis' by clicking HERE. I went to the trouble of searching it out and putting it on my website. It is, of course, laughable garbage.
Ankhanu
Bikerman wrote:
* Anyone interested can read his 'doctoral thesis' by clicking HERE. I went to the trouble of searching it out and putting it on my website. It is, of course, laughable garbage.

Dear gods! I've only gotten through the dedication and part of the introduction, and can confidently cite this as evidence that God does not exist. </tongueincheek>
nickfyoung
Ankhanu wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
* Anyone interested can read his 'doctoral thesis' by clicking HERE. I went to the trouble of searching it out and putting it on my website. It is, of course, laughable garbage.

Dear gods! I've only gotten through the dedication and part of the introduction, and can confidently cite this as evidence that God does not exist. </tongueincheek>



Yes, had a look at some of the introduction. It is normal creationist stuff. Never heard of the guy.

I personally like http://www.answersingenesis.org/ as it was started by Ken Ham an Australian guy. We had some of his teaching in Bible Collage.

I think from memory he may have been a science teacher too although I can't be certain.

To a fundamental Christian it is all quite normal and acceptable, a young earth etc. although it is a minority view within Christianity I think.

I know, as Bikerman says above, that to believe something that is plainly wrong is madness. However, I still make my point that to those who do believe it is perfectly normal.
Bikerman
Ken Ham is no different to Hovind.
Well, actually, he IS different in that he isn't spending 10 yrs in prison, but otherwise they are both lying, dishonest scumbags.

Something might be 'normal' and also utterly wrong. If you are content to treat as 'normal' something which is demonstrably false then fine, but then you loose any right to be taken seriously in anything else you say, since someone who admits to believing something demonstrably wrong can never be trusted to tell the truth.
Afaceinthematrix
nickfyoung wrote:

Yes, had a look at some of the introduction. It is normal creationist stuff. Never heard of the guy.

I personally like http://www.answersingenesis.org/ as it was started by Ken Ham an Australian guy. We had some of his teaching in Bible Collage.

I think from memory he may have been a science teacher too although I can't be certain.

To a fundamental Christian it is all quite normal and acceptable, a young earth etc. although it is a minority view within Christianity I think.

I know, as Bikerman says above, that to believe something that is plainly wrong is madness. However, I still make my point that to those who do believe it is perfectly normal.


Kent Hovind is a little more popular, definitely more entertaining (despite my reservations against him, Kent Hovind is an amazing speaker and can sway thousands of people at once (as long as they're not educated in science or common sense) through his elegant sounding speeches), and equally discredited in the science community as Ken Ham is.

I would not trust anything that Ken Ham says or that AIG says because it is always wrong when it comes to science and sometimes wrong when it comes to the Bible.

By the way, Young Earth Creationism (YEC) is a very large view in Christianity. I think that it may be a majority in the States (last time I checked it was but I question the source as I will question most sources that give that kind of information as they probably are slanted) and huge in other places in the world. This isn't a fringe group. These are large group of people will many powerful people that have a lot of influence, unfortunately, in educational policy.
nickfyoung
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:

Yes, had a look at some of the introduction. It is normal creationist stuff. Never heard of the guy.

I personally like http://www.answersingenesis.org/ as it was started by Ken Ham an Australian guy. We had some of his teaching in Bible Collage.

I think from memory he may have been a science teacher too although I can't be certain.

To a fundamental Christian it is all quite normal and acceptable, a young earth etc. although it is a minority view within Christianity I think.

I know, as Bikerman says above, that to believe something that is plainly wrong is madness. However, I still make my point that to those who do believe it is perfectly normal.


Kent Hovind is a little more popular, definitely more entertaining (despite my reservations against him, Kent Hovind is an amazing speaker and can sway thousands of people at once (as long as they're not educated in science or common sense) through his elegant sounding speeches), and equally discredited in the science community as Ken Ham is.

I would not trust anything that Ken Ham says or that AIG says because it is always wrong when it comes to science and sometimes wrong when it comes to the Bible.

By the way, Young Earth Creationism (YEC) is a very large view in Christianity. I think that it may be a majority in the States (last time I checked it was but I question the source as I will question most sources that give that kind of information as they probably are slanted) and huge in other places in the world. This isn't a fringe group. These are large group of people will many powerful people that have a lot of influence, unfortunately, in educational policy.



The US seems to have a large percentage of Christian groups while here in Australia we seem to be in the minority.
The main 'religion' here seems to be sport and it is indoctrinated into kids from the beginning of school. I suppose sport is better than obesity as long as you are careful not to make the unsportsmanlike kids feel left out or inferior.
You often see brawls on the football field and in kids sport on Saturday morning it is the parents brawling on the sideline. They take it pretty seriously.

I see the Aussie sportsmen at the Olympics aren't going too well this year. Bit of a reality check for them. They did seem to be pretty cocky going into the games.

Anyway, many Australians seem to almost worship their sports heroes or football team as can be seen in Melbourne at grand final time.
Vanilla
Bikerman wrote:
'I have a doctorate'.
Deception. He purchased a scam qualification from an 'organization', called 'Patriot Bible University', which is based in a caravan and which has no accreditation or recognition by any reputable body.

Most of the claims he makes in his 'lectures' are similarly dishonest. He misquotes, misrepresents and simply makes stuff up all the time. His criticisms of evolution are actually not just wrong, they are laughable, and anyone who thinks that this charlatan has a point is woefully ignorant of even the most basic science.

* Anyone interested can read his 'doctoral thesis' by clicking HERE. I went to the trouble of searching it out and putting it on my website. It is, of course, laughable garbage.


I was curious about his doctorate thesis and went on your site to read it. I don't know what I can say. You see, I'm a researcher and I'm quite offended. I spend a lot of time gathering information, collecting data, analyzing results... Today is saturday and it's 10 PM and I'm reading about progesterone plasma concentrations. Then this guy came and wrote this piece of garbage to receive a doctorate when I need to work night and day proving that my theory is right. Anyway, I just needed to say that. What a joke.
Bikerman
I could not agree more. In fact I've just finished writing a blog entry on that very subject:
http://www.bikerman.co.uk/index.php/news-politics/bikerrant/253-bikerrant-presuppositionalism
Helios
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Helios wrote:
Afaceinthematrix, calm down with the language! You can, I'm sure, write what you have to say without cursing and flaming.
Actually, this way you'll get better replies and you might have a better chance of people listening to your arguments... just control your emotions a little.

I suggest editing your original post unless you want us to handle more reports against YOU. We dislike handling reports, by the way.


I do not apologize for anything that I said because I do not believe that I was in the wrong. I used a few swear words. Big deal. Frihost edits them out anyways. If I wrote a**hole then Frihost would replace the whole thing with asterisks.

I offended a few people so they felt that they needed to report me? Them getting offended is their problem. I routinely deal with way worse offensive things on this forums. A couple people in this forum have recently been not only supporting, but encouraging the death of people who draw pictures of the "Prophet" Mohammad. I deal with their absolute hatred and wishing of people's deaths.

The fact of the matter is that I wasn't openly attacking Christians for being Christian. Yeah I did call this one specific person that does not even visit these forums a complete idiot because, quite frankly, he is (as I have shown). But I didn't call Christians as a whole stupid, retarded, moronic, or anything. I said that their ideas were but if you cannot attack someone's ideas then having a philosophy forum is ridiculous. Therefore, there was no reason to report me, and quite frankly, I just don't care that they did because I do not feel that I did anything wrong. I attacked a religious idea and some people can't handle that. Some people believe that if you disagree with them then you're being offensive. Recently, I got reported because someone said that you need to respect the beliefs of everyone and I responded with "No, I don't. I certainly don't respect the beliefs of Nazis, racists, sexists, homophobes, etc." and that actually got reported! No joke... Seriously?

More people would respond to my post if it was less offensive? I just don't care about it. The reason why I wrote this was because these are common, real, and dangerous beliefs of many Christians that I constantly see on these forums. I wanted to have a post ready so that next time someone spews off their dangerous propaganda I am already prepared. Look at some of the "myths" about Christianity that aren't actually myths. Christians are told to hate homosexuals and homosexuals get treated terribly in the States. Just look at some of the postings by Busman and see some of the crap that he routinely has to deal with because of a preference that he was born with and has no choice over. I feel terrible for him. Look at some of the other "myths." Christians aren't allowed to think for themselves and most do believe that the Earth is 6,000-10,000 years old. We have SERIOUSLY powerful politicians in the U.S. with huge amounts of influence that are extremely close to getting this stuff taught in SCIENCE classrooms at the expense of actual science. This would put the U.S. back hundreds of years.

The fact of the matter is that these are very powerful people - not fringe groups - and some of these dangerous ideas are held by powerful people. I will not stand by and let them get away with things such as getting religion taught instead of science in classrooms and their open hatred and bigotry of homosexuals. That would be crazy of me. The best way to do this is openly ridicule the ideas (although I did not ridicule any person this forum) and show that these ideas are of zero credibility and deserve zero respect because they are irrational, illogical, delusional, and dangerous. Therefore, I do not think that I was out of line and so I do not apologize for it. I am sorry if that makes me unpopular on here. If people reported my original post - as they will probably report this one - then they really need to get used to people having other views. Those people can respond to me; Hell, they can even tell me that it was them that reported them and I still will not personally attack them. However, if they don't want their ideas questioned then they can go over to the Faith forum - that is what Bondings created it for.


I'll repeat and I'll do it only once: respect the rules of this forum and use proper language in your posts (i.e. don't cuss, if that wasn't clear). Same goes for other users.
Our job as moderators here is to handle the nasty stuff when it's about to hit the fan, and this thread is (or hopefully was) exactly that.
Other moderators will be monitoring this thread as well and hopefully you will help us keep it away from the flame-war zone.
Oh and I didn't ask for your apology, it's not relevant.

Thank you and continue with the thread please Smile
Related topics
Bluetooth
disguised as freedom
Bush’s Openly Religious Language
islam is...
Not Voting is Reasonable for People Who Want Freedom
F. Nietzsche
25 things you *DON"T* want to know (Trust Me!)
how many of the four cardinal virtues do you practice?
$25 if you use my freeipods account!
Brain Or MIND?
What the Crusades Were Really Like (Part 1)
Did you convert?
5 myths about getting rid of the bomb
How many churches in Christianity?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Philosophy and Religion

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.