FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Global "Fat" Scale

Afaceinthematrix
I saw this online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

It is a little interesting because you can see where you stand as far as body mass compared to the rest of the world. Those living in a first world country can feel fortunate at the amount of food that their country has access to compared to other countries.

It seems similar to this tool:
http://www.givingwhatwecan.org/resources/how-rich-you-are.php

The second one is slightly flawed because it fails to take into account living expenses of where you are. The first one is slightly flawed in the title. This isn't a global "fat" scale. It is a global BODY MASS scale. There is a huge difference. According to this, I have a body mass index (BMI) of 26 which:

Quote:
You have a lower BMI than 62% of males aged 15-29 in your country
You have a higher BMI than 82% of males aged 15-29 in the world

Yet, I probably have a body fat percentage less than 90% of the people in my age range in my country. I have small body fat percentage but I am a gym rat and so I have a large body mass.

It still puts your world into perspective when you can see that, even if I weighed 22 pounds (10 kilos) less, I'd:

Quote:
You have a higher BMI than 54% of males aged 15-29 in the world
LostOverThere
Wow, that's amazing. Really puts into perspective how lucky we are, and how much we take just having food for granted.

Also, god damn it I'm skinny. Lower BMI than 99% of people in my country? Bah.
Helios
"You have a higher BMI than 94% of males in your country."
I'm not fat though... *ding* another "gym rat" here Razz

I really wouldn't trust BMI as an indicator. Fat percentage would indeed be more accurate.
Are there actually any tools which compare fat% same way as this tool compares BMI ??
hakaner
You have a lower BMI than 100% of males aged 30-44 in your country
You have a lower BMI than 100% of males aged 30-44 in the world

Good to know Smile
Afaceinthematrix
Helios wrote:
I'm not fat though... *ding* another "gym rat" here :P

I really wouldn't trust BMI as an indicator. Fat percentage would indeed be more accurate.
Are there actually any tools which compare fat% same way as this tool compares BMI ??

"You have a higher BMI than 78% of males aged 15-29 in your country "

I guess that you're bigger than me because I chose my country as Israel and got this. I'm only bigger than 38% of people in my country because so many people have a lot of fat.

I am sure that there probably are tools that let you compare body fat percentage. The only thing is that since body fat percentage is much harder to calculate than BMI, most people probably don't know their BFP. I don't know mine. That would make statistics harder to compare because they are less known. I should ask my doctor next time I see her if she can get one of those pinching tools and tell me what my percentage is.
Peterssidan
You have a lower BMI than 81% of males aged 15-29 in your country
You have a lower BMI than 61% of males aged 15-29 in the world

I'm surprised to be in the global lower half. I don't think I'm at all skinny. I guess it's my current lack of muscles that do it.
spinout
I just have a beer belly . the rest is good slender trained limbs.... hehe BMI is shit to measure my body with! Smile

If I lay down I got no belly (it falls onto the sides of my skinny back) but when I stand up i got 5 inch beer belly pointing out Smile)
Helios
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Helios wrote:
I'm not fat though... *ding* another "gym rat" here Razz

"You have a higher BMI than 78% of males aged 15-29 in your country "

I guess that you're bigger than me because I chose my country as Israel and got this. I'm only bigger than 38% of people in my country because so many people have a lot of fat.

I am sure that there probably are tools that let you compare body fat percentage. The only thing is that since body fat percentage is much harder to calculate than BMI, most people probably don't know their BFP. I don't know mine. That would make statistics harder to compare because they are less known. I should ask my doctor next time I see her if she can get one of those pinching tools and tell me what my percentage is.

I have regular appointments with a dietitian (for free, work benefits Smile ) and she has this cool scale: you stand on it on your bare feet, pull this box with two metal handles and an LCD screen away from the scale (they are connected using a cable) and hold it in front of you. My guess is that it runs an electrical current through you and somehow measures your BFP and BMP.

I've actually never used this pinch tool you're talking about and I'm not so sure how accurate it is... but then again I'm not so sure how accurate the scale is. Of course you can always use your girlfriend as a measuring device Laughing Very good accuracy with, unfortunately, too many extra remarks Laughing