FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cool Bass Guitar [question resolved]

Afaceinthematrix
Does anyone know anything about the bass guitar in this video? I remember seeing the band Ensiferum back in 2009 and again in 2011 and I was trying to describe the bass player's awesome bass to my friend. I have never seen one like this before the show in 2009. I was trying to describe the bass to my friend and so I decided to see if there was any Youtube footage from either of the shows to just show her. The bass is on the left-hand-side although you can get a slightly better view of it around 1:53 on the right hand side. Warning, though, the sound quality is terrible (they usually sound much better) because this is recorded with someone's consumer digital camera and nothing professional.

For people who can't see Youtube videos, it is a five string (I am pretty sure; you can't tell from the video but I remember when I saw them the bass player would sometimes use a six string bass and sometimes a five string and I think that the five string is the cool one) bass and the there are blue lights up and down the frets - which look really cool. I was hoping someone would know what kind of bass it is so that I can look into it. I do not know much about bass guitars.

Ankhanu
Hinkka's 5 and 6 string basses are Warwicks, but I don't know what models.
The bass in the video, however, is a custom built AV 7-string. Some details are on the AV website - http://www.avbasses.cz/AVBS-7SH.html
Afaceinthematrix
Ankhanu wrote:
Hinkka's 5 and 6 string basses are Warwicks, but I don't know what models.
The bass in the video, however, is a custom built AV 7-string. Some details are on the AV website - http://www.avbasses.cz/AVBS-7SH.html

Wow! It was a 7 string? I am sure that I noticed that when I saw them; it's just been a while (a year and a half since the last time and probably 40-50 bands ago) and I couldn't remember. Thanks for the link, it was very useful. I read about it and it sounds like a nice bass.
Ankhanu
Looks like a monster to play Razz There are several features that I don't particularly like, but, it's just not my style. I went from playing 4 string, to 5 string, back to 4, and now play a short-scale 30" 6-string (VI style, EADGBe tuning, narrow neck width with relatively light strings; "standard" 6-strings are BEADGC, 34-36" scale with much wider neck widths) bass... and I tend to dislike active electronics... this bass is everything that I'm not interested in these days Wink