FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

450,000 E-mail Passwords Were Stolen From Yahoo!

the-guide
For you who use Yahoo mail, you should change it's password as soon as possible to secure an instant.
The news report said, E-mail account and password, approximately 450,000 were hacked off because of loopholes in the system.
Yahoo have recently confirmed on Thu, Jul 12, 2012.

You can see all what's they clarify that at
http://news.yahoo.com/450-000-yahoo-passwords-just-got-hacked-might-155505805.html

If you are the one that use Yahoo mail as your major important email, don't forget to change it as soon as possible.

Hope this post is not too late.

zimmer
the-guide wrote:
For you who use Yahoo mail, you should change it's password as soon as possible to secure an instant.
The news report said, E-mail account and password, approximately 450,000 were hacked off because of loopholes in the system.

http://news.yahoo.com/450-000-yahoo-passwords-just-got-hacked-might-155505805.html

If you are the one that use Yahoo mail as your major important email, don't forget to change it as soon as possible.

ohh??? really... so if we change how safe it is?
the-guide
zimmer wrote:

I not sure, however, if you are one of 450,000 and have fortunate and the thief not yet log in to your account,
then if you change the password promptly your email will has more chance to be safe. So why not hurry, just do it right now.

deanhills
I'd think it quite logical that Yahoo would be contacting the users who have been compromised as they know who they are. So if you have not been contacted by Yahoo, then your account should be OK.

I have a number of Yahoo accounts and am going to leave the passwords the way they are for now.
Josso
ONLY Yahoo Voices unsalted hashes were leaked... But yeah everyone should change their email one anyway.
the-guide
Yes it is like "deanhills" has mentioned, Yahoo should block the affected accounts first and contact the affected users about this issues and I also think that they will do.
However, for me, one Yahoo account was linked to many online payment systems. So, for safety first, I decided to change its password instantaneously after I knew the news.

The next thing I will do is to change my email account (which is linked to the online payment systems) from Yahoo into Gmail (with double password security sent to my mobile phone) instead.
But all of it doesn't mean that I am stampede but this is the safety, more safety.

standready
Not surprising at all. Everyone should routinely change their passwords anyway say every 3 months. Also each 'account' should have a different password. Yes, that is a pain but added protection for you.
Navigator
Time to change that 123 password then
deanhills
Navigator wrote:
HAHA! and "Password". Laughing
the-guide
deanhills wrote:
Navigator wrote:
HAHA! and "Password". Laughing

Laughing The most popular solid passwords! Laughing

Josso
For some reason there's a lot of "iloveme" type passwords about everywhere. As if it's hard to guess or something, like someones going to sit there trying passwords.

Personally my passwords often compliment the person cracking it.
abhizz
the-guide wrote:

Ohh god thanks, I'm using gmail
Cosmoslayer
So that explains why my account was accessed on India? Who cares anyways? LOL. It's my public email, the hacker can do whatever he wants with it. Yahoo! is full of spam anyways. XD
Navigator
Cosmoslayer wrote:
So that explains why my account was accessed on India? Who cares anyways? LOL. It's my public email, the hacker can do whatever he wants with it. Yahoo! is full of spam anyways. XD

That's amazing, can I hack into your account? - just for kicks.
killer2022
I had that happen to me a while ago when i was using bitcoin. Make sure to always change your passwords
Cosmoslayer
Navigator wrote:
Cosmoslayer wrote:

Sure, do whatever you want! Razz
Navigator
Cosmoslayer wrote:
Navigator wrote:
Cosmoslayer wrote:

Sure, do whatever you want! Razz

Ok, forget the hacking part, would you mind posting your username and password...here?
Cosmoslayer
That's nice! Razz Someone logged in again into my account from Colombia. WHAT DA HELL DO YOU WANT WITH IT ANYWAY? LOL!
the-guide
Cosmoslayer wrote:
That's nice! Razz Someone logged in again into my account from Colombia. WHAT DA HELL DO YOU WANT WITH IT ANYWAY? LOL!

So... You still keep tracking it... what are you trying to do with this email? Confused
Just keep it as a wonderful email collection... Laughing

spinout
My trick is to have a simple but unique password for e very site... in that case there is no need to steal my password!
sudipbanerjee
I have changed it. Gmail's 2 step verification is best.
TurtleShell
I worry about my passwords being stolen--what a gigantic pain that would be! I'm like going bankrupt so my identity would be a crappy one to steal, but I can't imagine having to remember all new passwords for all my websites.
Cosmoslayer
the-guide wrote:
Cosmoslayer wrote:

So... You still keep tracking it... what are you trying to do with this email? Confused
Just keep it as a wonderful email collection... Laughing

That question was for the hacker who kept accessing it. XD
rjraaz
First of all middle part of this thread makes me laugh very much. Moreover not only yahoo passwords are compromised but ebay and 2 or 3 more. I am not quite sure about it but as i recall have seen this somewhere on the net.
ayour
i think yahoo is getting old , google mail is taking a great part of the market and in the 10 years we wil see a huge change in the market of mailing
zimmer
the-guide wrote:
zimmer wrote:

I not sure, however, if you are one of 450,000 and have fortunate and the thief not yet log in to your account,
then if you change the password promptly your email will has more chance to be safe. So why not hurry, just do it right now.

as i check my yahoo until now and i did not change password so far it work good and very fortunate that my accounts is not included on those have been hack.
linux1993
So lucky ,I am using Google's mail service .I hate password's being stolen very much .
pauline5765
Damn. I sure hope I'm not one of those people. Well, good thing I don't have my professional/most personal e-mail with Yahoo! :/
inuyasha
I don't use Yahoo! quite often now. I even almost forget the password of my Yahoo! passport...
Maybe I should still change it imediately in case there's any important mails....
deanhills
inuyasha wrote:
I don't use Yahoo! quite often now. I even almost forget the password of my Yahoo! passport...
Maybe I should still change it immediately in case there's any important mails....
I think people are encouraged to change their passwords regularly. So it's probably wise to do so. As far as this specific incident is concerned however Yahoo did inform all of the accounts that had been affected by what had happened so it's no longer a problem. I've been with Yahoo for quite a long time through its ups and downs quality wise with e-mail accounts, I've never had major issues with the accounts. I've had issues with Hotmail however. And with gmail. If one hasn't used an account for a while, they may put one through hoops in order to get the account back. Hotmail asked me questions that I flunked one by one, like the names of the folders I created in the account, etc. I also couldn't get the security question as I had created the account a few years back. So failed to get my account back the first time round. I persisted though wasting hours of my time and did finally get it back. And then made a note of all of the information in it based on the questions that had been asked before. I also created my own security questions in my Hotmail account with very specific answers.
Insanity
After seeing this and not being a Yahoo user, I wonder if Google has suffered anything similar to this. If Google had lost some passwords or something, I feel like it would be huge news. So either I am not remembering, or Google has not had something like this happen to them before, which is pretty cool. Then again, they could be covering up everything... I just dont' remember having to reset my password like this.