FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Current good FREE games?

cfvergara
Hi everyone, I'm looking for games I don't need to pay for. I'm right now in a dual boot using windows 7 and linux in a sort of decent PC (top notch for 2011 standards)

Ideas? Note that the games need to be actually free, as opposed to patcheable/crackable/bullcrap.
memno
Dead Frontier is free, with option to pay for perks.
Top-down zombie survival mmo, with minimal initial dl.
Been playing for a few years, they just recently went to a
3D model for the game, check it out!
www.deadfrontier.com

Omerta has been online for a while now, a browser-based
gangster RPG with heavy emphasis on IRC interaction.
www.barafranca.com

Then there's also Combat Arms by Nexon, free FPS, with minor
option to pay $ for weapons that you'd otherwise use in-game
currency to 'rent'. Great undead defense mode in it, haven't played it for
a few years, though. BIG download to play that one.

Speaking of Nexon, Maple Story was fun for a while, side-scrolling
rpg, bit too heavy on kill-steals, if I can remember. They also had the NA
Kart Racer, a port of the Chinese&Korean Pop-Kart, which I played in the
open beta. I guess they've scrapped that, which is a shame. I was 3-fingered
black glove!

Then there was always Angband..
I have 10 different versions of that game on my comp, all of which are unavailable
now, except for maybe the original. But that new site seems kinda sketchy to me....
catscratches
The Cat and the Coup is free on Steam and only takes a few minutes to play. It's excellent.
Josso
Zork has been free for at least 10 years. Plus there's ports to browsers! And don't quote me on this but I think some of the Commander Keen games have been free for a while.

http://pot.home.xs4all.nl/infocom/
So much game, so little memory needed (bit like frontier)

Those are all the infocom games with downloadable save states as well I think! Huzzah!
TheLimey
Well on your cell you could look at the angry birds series of course...
Gregoric
You should try some game of so called MOBA type. It is multiplayer RTS genre based on famous StarCraft map Aeon of Strife and WarCraft's Defense of the Ancients.

Now there are two new genuine DotAs developed: Blizzard Allstars and Valve's DotA 2.

This game type was inspiration for other game developers and there are few others released like Rise of Immortals or League of Legends. Just search for 'free moba game' using Google.

It is very annoying and hard for beginners but play few matches until you gain some skill and you'll start to like the gameplay.
Dementei
http://bit.ly/MtLYgf

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
prezgarfield
Gregoric wrote:
You should try some game of so called MOBA type. It is multiplayer RTS genre based on famous StarCraft map Aeon of Strife and WarCraft's Defense of the Ancients.

Now there are two new genuine DotAs developed: Blizzard Allstars and Valve's DotA 2.

This game type was inspiration for other game developers and there are few others released like Rise of Immortals or League of Legends. Just search for 'free moba game' using Google.

It is very annoying and hard for beginners but play few matches until you gain some skill and you'll start to like the gameplay.

I love the MOBA's (especially League of Legends), but they do follow the MMO-style free-to-play model where spending money makes things a lot easier.
cfvergara
So, following advice here now I'm playing a LOT of abandonware, plus The cat and the coup, which is mad entertaining.

Thank you all! Except the head-in-butt dude that sent me to google Razz I wouldn't ask here hadn't I searched previously; I find this kind of recomendations much better, frankly.
D'Artagnan
Maple Story sucks, is meant to retarded autistic 8 yo pink wearing girls

get TF2, team fortress 2 or D&D online, or LOTR online
cfvergara
D'Artagnan, are all those games free?
Peterssidan
If you like old school graphical adventure games I can recommend the Adventures of Maddog Williams in the Dungeons of Duridian.
http://www.gamecrafters.com/gamecrafters/maddog/

GTA I & II are good games that are now free to download.
http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/
catscratches
cfvergara wrote:
D'Artagnan, are all those games free?
They're all available for free on Steam.
busman
TF2
Dementei
http://www.gothamcityimpostors.com/

Very good free MP game right here.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
drunkenkoz
If you want a good free to play game then you can check out websites like onrpg and mmohut. They have a huge list of free to play games.
sysna
Good free FPS game currently out there is "Nexuiz" a very beautiful and amazing multiplayer FPS game with lots of guns and characters. it is also cross platform and is one of the most popular linux games, so it is a good news for linux users as they can play along with their friends which use windows and play with each other easily.
wombatrpgs
I've been playing a lot of roguelikes. Here's a couple that stand out:
http://te4.org/ - ToME, probably the most new user friendly roguelike I know
http://www.adom.de - ADOM, a classic and probably my favorite, development just restarted on it as well.
playfungames
I am also one of those who recommends team fortress 2 when anyone asks for free online games. It is one of those free games that you can play online with your friends and it is of a high quality as well.
Cosmoslayer
Dementei wrote:
http://www.gothamcityimpostors.com/

Very good free MP game right here.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

This is funny and I have this on my PS3. Very Happy
jkaushalya
What about any kind of MMRP games?
Lishmares
The best free MMORPG game in my opinion is by far Conquer Online this game is so complete and the pvp is really good, what ever the character class you chose you can be very strong and kill at pvp it all depends on you and of how much time you invest in your character.
taytay
Lishmares wrote:
The best free MMORPG game in my opinion is by far Conquer Online this game is so complete and the pvp is really good, what ever the character class you chose you can be very strong and kill at pvp it all depends on you and of how much time you invest in your character.

It used to be good when I played Conquer almsot 10 years ago. TQ has crapped it up so much now. Mining is useless and benefits nothing, and you practically HAVE to pay to get good in the game. When they allowed getting good without paying money, I had more fun. it took ten times longer to do it the free way, but that's how it became fun with friends, you actually had to team up and be smart to get good stuff. Now you have to pay monies. I wouldn't recommend Conquer. Free to play, yes. Pay to enjoy, a must.

I Would recommend Heroes of Newerth. It's based off of a custom map called Defense of the Ancients(DotA) that was created for Warcraft III. The map addon feature such a good game that someone made a stand alone game for it. There two branch offs, League of Legends(LoL) and Heroes of newerth(HoN). LOL is easier to play, also free, but less competitive and in my opinion, more for kids and WoW players. HoN is a great game which stuck better to the original DotA. The creator of DotA (Icefrog) actually helped along side the making of HoN as well. There has since been release DotA2, another stand alone of DotA (which makes 3 Very different stand alone clients for the same base of a game.. which tells you how popular it was).

My friends and I play HoN. it is free to play. Of course there are things you can pay for, but you don't have too. After you play a few games and get a feel for it, your account becomes "Verified" and you can play anything. The main thing that attracts people to pay is the new patch they release every Friday, which features a new hero you can play. For the first 2 weeks or so of a hero release, only those who purchase the Early Release may play as the hero. It's not too bad at all really. Check it out! It's fun!
wombatrpgs
taytay wrote:
Lishmares wrote:

It used to be good when I played Conquer almsot 10 years ago. TQ has crapped it up so much now. Mining is useless and benefits nothing, and you practically HAVE to pay to get good in the game. When they allowed getting good without paying money, I had more fun. it took ten times longer to do it the free way, but that's how it became fun with friends, you actually had to team up and be smart to get good stuff. Now you have to pay monies. I wouldn't recommend Conquer. Free to play, yes. Pay to enjoy, a must.

I'm very happy that Pay2Win didn't catch on too much in the MMO sphere...
senolsenolx
BLACKSHOT free game
RosenCruz
Abandonware stuff is always cool and refreshes old memories if you want free stuff.

I m mostly spending time with abandonware games, when I want to have some fun with PC games

Arrow

abandonia and classic gaming are nice resources
ZeytinGrafik
www.reloaded.org has many games that you can download and play for free. I've had quite lot of fun playing "Hyper Princess Pitch". There is also http://retroremakes.com/ , a site that is dedicated to retro remakes (as the name suggests) which has numerous number of games. and as RosenCruz suggested abandonware is cool. You can download DOSBOX emulator and download your abandonware from www.abandonware.com .
Mr_Howl
I've always been a fan of "Metroidvania" games, and there are some very good free ones. Not exactly current, but if you can appreciate the retro graphics style:

Doukutsu Monogatari
Eternal Daughter
Lyle in Cube Sector
An Untitled Story
Seiklus

All of which are excellent.

For multiplayer games, Free LAN Games
catscratches
Old, perhaps, but free?
wombatrpgs
catscratches wrote:
Old, perhaps, but free?

Maybe this is his subtle way of admitting to piracy?
ekonomska
The Cat and the Coup on Steam is a great game, it's easy to put on, and is nessesary to be careful Smile
zimmer
i just got installed FRONTLINE COMMANDO on my android phone and its nice to play with..
milkshake01
Transformice is a simple flash game that doesn't require you to download anything.
slimviking
Josso wrote:
Zork has been free for at least 10 years. Plus there's ports to browsers! And don't quote me on this but I think some of the Commander Keen games have been free for a while.

http://pot.home.xs4all.nl/infocom/
So much game, so little memory needed (bit like frontier)

Those are all the infocom games with downloadable save states as well I think! Huzzah!

Infocom games are a little outdated now !

command line text adventure are something ended on 1981
zaxacongrejo
americas army http://www.americasarmy.com/