FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who was Adam's First Wife

nickfyoung
There is much speculation in Jewish folklore that Adam and his wife were created together in the 1st Chapter of Genesis. Being created together she considered herself equal to Adam and refused to submit to him, [ie. sexually as who is on top,] so she left and became Lilith, night owl of the desert and killer of new born babies etc. She is mentioned by name in one translation of the Bible in Isaiah.
Then in Chapter two of Genesis, God makes Eve from Adam's rib.
Interestingly, most of the early artists decorating the early cathedrals all depict the serpent in the story of the fall as being a woman, Lilith, with a serpents body. Anyone else come across this story.
Ankhanu
Yeah, I've come across the story of Lillith a few times, and in various incarnations (i.e. different uses in stories and folklore).
crystalkey
It's folklore. It has had no factual basis throughout recorded history. Folklore is just that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith
nickfyoung
crystalkey wrote:
It's folklore. It has had no factual basis throughout recorded history. Folklore is just that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith

What is interesting is that the early church must have believed it otherwise why would all the artwork in the early cathedrals depict Lillith as the serpent in the garden. It is interesting too that she was mentioned by name in the Bible in at least one translation.