FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How precious is the ability to type eyes closed?

ratanegra
Do you think it's something really valuable? I am doing it right now and am amazed at the accuracy of my fingers, but else than that, I don't know what use could I give to it. Maybe I could write an essay while I lay down eyes closed on my bed, but that wouldn't be reallyadvisable, would it?
Josso
Ok giving a try. Yeah pretty easy actually. It's just the same as touch typing.
GuidanceReader
If by some unfortunate event you became blind and also lost the ability to speak, this would be a very valuable skill to have.
truespeed
i csnt dio it
ratanegra
truespeed wrote:
i csnt dio it

Nope, you can't.

GuidanceReader wrote:
If by some unfortunate event you became blind and also lost the ability to speak, this would be a very valuable skill to have.

That would be really cool, except the part of being mute and blind...

Josso wrote:
Ok giving a try. Yeah pretty easy actually. It's just the same as touch typing.

What's touch typing? Typing on a smartphone or tablet?
Ankhanu
ratanegra wrote:

Hands in proper position on home row, and typing without looking... standard proper typing, the kind we all neglect to use, but would have been taught if we'd taken a typing class.
Josso
Ankhanu wrote:
ratanegra wrote:

Hands in proper position on home row, and typing without looking... standard proper typing, the kind we all neglect to use, but would have been taught if we'd taken a typing class.

It's a natural progression imo - you don't really need typing classes. 18 years since I started typing and I can now do over 100 wpm although at a young age you can develop a lot of things like that naturally.
coolclay
I feel like it is a valuable skill to have but at the same time maybe only if you are in a position in which you type a lot and multitask at the same time.

Sweet, I typed that while thing with my eyes closed and only made 2 mistakes!
lucascoelho
Well, that's quite right, what's been pointed so far.... Really useful for blnd people (eevn if it's not for you in a sad future, but you might use it to be more comprehensive and even help otheres), and also for multitasking.

I'm doing the same as all and typing with eyes close, but I do efll I'm much slower...

By the way, I practiced typing on pyping machines, long ago, and could get over 120 wpm I guess, but it's really of not much use, as computer keyboards fell really different and geting "differenter" each day! :-p

(Hum.... can see I had some horrible mistakes above, but not that much......) Very Happy
Cosmoslayer
Just to show off, maybe? Razz
the-guide
Yes, it's valuable if one can do, but normally, that's not serious except in the case that "GuidanceReader" has comment, it would be a much valuable skill.

GuidanceReader wrote:
If by some unfortunate event you became blind and also lost the ability to speak, this would be a very valuable to have.

Insanity
It is very useful because then you can type much faster.
_AVG_
It's kind of like playing the piano, you just implicitly have to know where the keys are so that while concentrating on something else, you can be able to type / hit the keys.
So I consider being able to think about something else while typing or rather type while doing something else a better skill. Nevertheless, closing your eyes and typing is also a skill, nd it improves one's visualization and tactile perception.
inuyasha
I think it indicates you are familiar enough with the keyboard and you can type faster. You can't expect typing very fast while watching between the screen and the keyboards, Very Happy especially when you are using a desktop, whose keyboard and monitor may not be near.
Peterssidan
If someonr as a ptank switvjes tje åopsotopm pf tje lei ot cpiöd be gppd mpt tp jave to look at the keus.

* opens the eyes * Shocked
Wow I suck at this more than I thought. I was trying to say:
If someone as a prank switches the position of the keys it could be good not to have to look at the keys.
Radar
Yeah, it has roughly the same value as touch typing. This was written with my eyes closed. That's not something to practice, I think, but an offshoot of another skill.
pauline123
I would agree that it could be of some value somewhere, but really it probabty will not be that useful on a regular basis. It could also be used to show off, as mentioned elsewhere.
ocalhoun
Pretty useful for me! ^.^

Just finished writing a 100k word story... would have taken me 10 times as long if I wasn't able to type properly.

And like others said, of course I don't type with eyes closed, but I do type without looking at they keyboard, paying attention instead to the text as it appears on the screen. (Which, of course, allows for noticing and correcting mistakes more quickly and easily.)

For anybody who uses computers a lot, touch-typing ability is important, I'd say. It's your fastest and most efficient means of transferring data from your mind into the computer... and not being able to do it properly will create a bottleneck, hampering your efficiency.
Mr_Howl
Ankhanu wrote:
ratanegra wrote:

I took a typing class is middle school, and it didn't really help. I think the only way to learn to touch-type is to force yourself to do it; that is, practice typing without looking at the keyboard, being sure to keep fingers in the proper position. Soon it becomes natural, and you can get faster and faster.

I used to be a very fast typist, but now I'm down to around 65WPM--I don't type papers much anymore, and programming is a different set of finger motions (lots more parentheses, braces, brackets, and semi-colons).
Insanity
I agree, it just takes practice to be able to touch-type. I think touch typing is basically the same as typing without looking at the keyboard, because it's become all muscle memory.
TheRPGLPer
Having this skill I believe makes you quicker at typing because you don't have to keep looking down at the keys to make sure that you are hitting the right key. Me typing while not looking or with my eyes closed, I can type at speeds pretty close to 125-135 words a minute and on a good day, closer to 140-150 words a minute, while looking down however, I can barely pass the 100 words a minute mark.

I would say if someone was to go blind, this skill would be a very valuable skill to have. Very helpful, indeed.
tahayassen
I'm writing this post with my eyes closed. It's not exactly valuable, but it'll be efficient when you need to read something off a paper!
Pippo90
It's very useful, but you can easily achieve the same result with a speech recognition software. Wink
deanhills
Let's see whether I can do this without making any typos. 10/10 Cool
harrer
It's worth having.
Gregoric
Well, I have been trying to learn to type while not looking at the keyboard at all, that is pretty similiar to what you are saying about, as in both situations you are perfectly sure (or you believe so, at least) about what you have typed and you can trust yourself that you will hit the right button without need to look onto it.

I think that writing with eyes closed is not really useful. Maybe in situations like when your laptop's screen is dead and you need to perform some console commands. That's hardly meet (if ever met) situation. I do not really see any more uses for such an ability. Why to force yourself to close you eyes while writing?

If you would think of writing with a keyboard while looking at a completely different location - that may be very useful when being a translator, interpreter or when working in court.
jajarvin
I rather watch the Eyes Wide Shut than type as a blind my texts.
codegeek
Why does it matter? I can type fairly accurately with my eyes closed. No problem at all.

Wow, I thought I'd make a joke about how there were so many errors in the sentences above. This is awesome. Very Happy

I can't type 100 words per minute, though. My maximum is around 70.
TurtleShell
Yeah, the reason that it's important to be able to type with your eyes closed, or at least, not looking at the screen or keyboard, is because your brain is going to catch your errors more quickly if it's not relying on your eyes.
deanhills
Welcome back TurtleShell

For me, if I'm not looking at the keyboard I can focus more on the subject I'm typing. Didn't start out that way, but more or less evolved in that.
tonberry
I use computers snce 1996 and always preferred keyboard over mouse (things can get done faster, but shortcuts need to be remembered). Throughout the years, I learned how to write extremely fast and I saw only one person typing faster than me. Two things need to be taken into consideration though.

1. Typing English words is a piece of cake, it doesn't get simpler than that. I am from Poland and whenever I want to type Polish letters, I need to push alt and then press the correct letter. This double-hitting slows down writing considerably and can considerably slow down even seasoned writers Smile

2. Programmers spend their days hitting various keys that are very rarely used by normal people like you and me. This demands even greater skill than language-specific letters.

I'm not even touching Chinese and Japanese writing. I don't know how they are doing it, but since they're asian, it is probably very complicated Very Happy

When having to write either of these, it is extremely hard to just write without looking at the keyboard at all. I sure write incredibly fast under normal circuimstances (English), but would quickly break my fingers having to regularly write specific signs and letters!
pravojednostavno
if I could, i would use it while sleeping, or watching tv
standready
Once you have your fingers on the 'home' keys (f & j) it is pretty easy.
I play piano without looking once I have practiced a song long enough. You just know how far to reach.