FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What does it take to be a good rapper?

scwebgfx
I would say confidence,creativity,leadership,boldness etc...
Josso
- Flow
- Multi's
- Content
- Versatility
- Good beats
wellerchap
Sorry - haven't really heard one I like yet. Confused
evablast
Good flows, punchlines, and meaning to songs
TheLimey
You have to be Nas...
singaporechristian
good flow good rhythm and lotsa confidence
fuzzkaizer
there's something that should be mentioned here:

"Thou shalt remember that guns, bitches and bling were never part of the four elements and never will be."
http://www.lyricstime.com/dan-le-sac-vs-scroobius-pip-thou-shalt-always-kill-lyrics.html
that guy is a rapper, isn't he.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWrMGXwhFLk[/youtube][/url]
medesignz
confidence... look at the old school hip hop rappers for inspiration
Bikerman
Timing - the ability to KNOW where you are beat-wise. The great rappers - and Eminem is certainly one of the best - have the ability to play with the beat, dropping slightly off it to chill it back, advancing on it to get some urgency and then dropping right onto it to create a groove...
Some are born with it but it can be learned - practice, practice, practice
asnani04
Confidence, understanding the subject, and good beats and rhythm. Laughing
medesignz
Bikerman wrote:
Timing - the ability to KNOW where you are beat-wise. The great rappers - and Eminem is certainly one of the best - have the ability to play with the beat, dropping slightly off it to chill it back, advancing on it to get some urgency and then dropping right onto it to create a groove...
Some are born with it but it can be learned - practice, practice, practice
Correct! But make sure it's perfect practice. Learn from the best, cos the best don't mess!
stagga
To be a good rapper, you should be good in literature - metaphors, similes, idioms etc... all these are used in creative ways to create punchlines in artistic ways... u should also have a wide range of vocabulary in your head. you should also know how to rhyme and still make your point. but most of all u need to practice often.... one of the best rapper ever is Eminem
medesignz
stagga wrote:
To be a good rapper, you should be good in literature - metaphors, similes, idioms etc... all these are used in creative ways to create punchlines in artistic ways... u should also have a wide range of vocabulary in your head. you should also know how to rhyme and still make your point. but most of all u need to practice often.... one of the best rapper ever is Eminem
its not what you say, its the way you say it
D'Artagnan
Mano Brown, brazilian rapper
Ankhanu
D'Artagnan wrote:
Mano Brown, brazilian rapper

So, to become a good rapper, you need to be this guy? That's REALLY limiting on who can become a good rapper.
medesignz
Ankhanu wrote:
So, to become a good rapper, you need to be this guy? That's REALLY limiting on who can become a good rapper.
I think its actually giving us too options... Either Mano Brown or Brazilian Rapper
subhan1
Boldness - Aim Smile

Just follow the Eminem's or make one of your own!
bennybumkins
I think it's about having fun but also being creative I am a massive fan of NWA (Easy-E, Ice Cube, Dr Dre) but i think it's got to be about fun really. These guys just didn't care about what they said and who they offended they just rapped about what they liked. I also admire Will Smith as back when he used to Rap he would never swear as his main audience was teenagers through the fresh prince e.t.c at the time but his songs were all about having a good time.
stanleykc1
I thing I will recommend a book for you all. It's very educative and with lots of benefiting information on being a good rapper.... I read it for reference. Title is rappers hand book by flocabulary
medesignz
I dont know if I said it before, but its confidence confidence confidence...
playfungames
Skills

And also some links to the people in the industry. You need to know people who can really market your stuffs and produce it to the next level. You might be the best rapper in the world with determination, skills, flow, versatility and what not (the members have mentioned those above) but you won't be someone until you are discovered. So having a great network with some great useful people will certainly help.
TheLimey
One important thing is to be yourself. Artists who are signed when being allowed to do what they want are always best.

Odd Future - Earl Sweatshirt and Tyler the Creator

Funk Volume - Dizzy Wright and Jarren Benton
Afaceinthematrix
Creativity and lyricism. The rest can be learned but if you're naturally creative and are able to write good lyrics then you can probably learn to be a good rapper.
fuzzkaizer
what about humor? seems to me the old school rappers had a little bit of sophisticated humor, while recently there are more types of those playing big bad boys, trying to be dead serious about all that ego boosting boasting, only jokes allowed are dirty macho stuff... for once here are two guys rapping that are rather comedians than rappers...
tundra rap: http://youtu.be/t3rIcCdI0-g
medesignz
Whats the difference between a rapper and an MC?
CHAOS-THEORY
To be a good rapper, i hope u don't mean rape lol
u need speed; self confidence; and creative yeah u need to make u own words, see what i ditch ?
medesignz
CHAOS-THEORY wrote:
To be a good rapper, i hope u don't mean rape lol
u need speed; self confidence; and creative yeah u need to make u own words, see what i ditch ?
I dont think they did mean rape...
Paradigm
Confidence, natural skill with rhymes, creativity under pressure, a large vocabulary and possibly something you can consume to get inebriated. I know a bunch of people who can only rap effectively when they're messed up, it's actually kinda funny how that works :p
abhinavm24
1 confidence
2 passion, it comes naturally
3 hell lot of energy, and preservance.
i think i helped. Very Happy