FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Music Recording/Artist Tips

scwebgfx
I've been recording music for 20 years and my biggest tip for the producer is to record low and mix high
my productions always sound great and radio ready.

Tip: for an artist dont be quick to sign you can do alot by your self and with friends and family.
network and post your music everywhere Facebook,twitter, reverberation, YouTube,sound click,sound cloud etc....
Josso
Not sure I understand your record low, mix high thing. Surely... record high just below clipping for best quality and then mix low + compress? Maybe I am missing the point here.
Ankhanu
Josso wrote:
Not sure I understand your record low, mix high thing. Surely... record high just below clipping for best quality and then mix low + compress? Maybe I am missing the point here.

Aye, I've always heard record high and attenuate to bring things down in the mix to the proper level. If you boost a low signal to a higher volume you're going to introduce hiss/noise or other artifacts into the final mix... which is a common issue with compression as well (any process that boosts signal will do this).

As for artists and signing, I certainly agree... in terms of recording/production. However, in terms of distribution, physical and digital, there are some advantages to having someone big/experienced behind you. Posting to various social media outlets can only get you so far in distributing your material and reaching your intended audience... but there are good independent labels that can get you where you need to be, you don't need to seek out the big companies.
Josso
Heh ok - this guy up here knows what's going down Laughing

Personally if it were me with a vocal track: record on high input way above hiss > put it on a track with like a 8:1 compression ratio > gater to cut anything below say -20db to get the background noise out inbetween the vocals > EQ above compression/gate
SonLight
@scwebgfx,

I'm glad to see another musician here. Have you a sample track or two you can share with us?

I also wasn't sure what you're saying about recording levels. I have done a little live mixing where we had to worry about feedback, so when it started sounding a little "hot" we would drop the levels -- before it started squealing if possible. In studio recording, I believe you have only monitor speakers or even headphones, so feedback should be less of a problem and I would think volume levels would be higher but well within the ability of the equipment to capture accurately. Were you taling about equilization? Is the "smile" pattern still appropriate?

Just a crazy thought I had, maybe you "frown" on recording and "smile" when mixing to neutralize it? Or some other such pattern -- LOL.
Josso
SonLight wrote:
Were you taling about equilization? Is the "smile" pattern still appropriate?

Just a crazy thought I had, maybe you "frown" on recording and "smile" when mixing to neutralize it? Or some other such pattern -- LOL.

Frown as in an EQ envelope visualised? Would cut extreme highs and extreme lows which I personally go for in vocals to some extent so it doesn't muddy up the mix. I want to reserve my 100hz type area for the filthy bass in my line of "work".

If you put identical frown then smile as EQ envelopes wouldn't it just end up like before?
Josso
This is a screenshot from something I was working on earlier. It shows a more extreme version of the frown you were talking abut. This is an extremely thin band to pass through to the mix. Usally it would be less steep and wider with conventional vocals. This is my roughly the kinda track setup you want for vocals (in my opinion) obviously with tweaking depending on the recording.