FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I've stuffed up!!

GuidanceReader
I was playing around with my website http://readingsbycaroline.net

I have opencart installed.

I was trying to create a third store (I currently had 2 stores running on the multi function store) and somehow managed to delete everything (I assume my database information as my templates are still working, but all my store data is gone).

Does Frihost have any backups of database files? I do have an .SQL file that I downloaded a month ago, but uploading it is making no difference at all?

Anything from 1 June to 6 July if it can be restored I'll be eternally grateful. If not I know who's to blame (me) and will start from almost scratch....

Thank you for any assistance

Caroline
GuidanceReader
I've managed to restore my site from a month ago 10/June/2012 but this means I am still missing the details from anyone who has registered since then, so if backups of individual databases are made, and there is a 'newer' one than the one I have got, can you please let me know.

I don't even know if you take backups of databases, so only asking out of 'hope' not expectation.

Thank you in advance

Caroline.
Bondings
I have backups of the raw files (including raw database files). I think they date from yesterday. It is a good thing that you contact me so soon, because with daily backups this can be overwritten quite fast.

Which database do you need restored? guidance_shop or guidance_teaching or both? And what about the files?
Bondings
I'm writing a new post because it seems you are online and I you might not see/notice my edits.

Anyway, it seems that you were confused about whether your database was overwritten/gone or not. Next time, please go to phpMyAdmin and check the database there. Maybe go check the user table and look at the latest registrations and their dates. Because maybe it was just some setting that went wrong and while trying to fix it, you overwrote the correct database with old data. Also taking a (database) backup might have been a good idea before restoring a previous backup.
Bondings
I have created an archive of the files and the 2 databases and am waiting for your response about what you want restored.
GuidanceReader
I would like the shop one restored please (guidance_shop)

and yes, I did upload the old one, probably a bit too hastily
GuidanceReader
by the looks of things, my files are okay, it's just the database stuff
GuidanceReader
oh, actually, some of the files may need restoring too... I think I uploaded a couple of extension files in the last day or so? but they're not my main concern, as I should be able to sort all that out anyway..
GuidanceReader
Bondings wrote:

Anyway, it seems that you were confused about whether your database was overwritten/gone or not. Next time, please go to phpMyAdmin and check the database there. Maybe go check the user table and look at the latest registrations and their dates. Because maybe it was just some setting that went wrong and while trying to fix it, you overwrote the correct database with old data. Also taking a (database) backup might have been a good idea before restoring a previous backup.

Yup.. another lesson learned to add to my 'never to do again' list. I am so glad that this is such a great place to be. (and my husband is also gloating a little with the 'I told you to always take backups before you make changes')

Anyway, I am off to bed now, so will look forward to seeing what you've been able to do sometime after you've been on again. Thank you very much again.
Bondings
I have restored the database files of yesterday of the guidance_shop database. Please check if it is working fine. At least in phpMyAdmin it seems fine to me (I just checked one table).

I have also uploaded a guidance.tar.gz file that contains the contents of the backup files of your directory.

Please note that this file might contain more files then there are currently as the backup process only updates files if they are changed, but does not automatically delete removed files (I only do that manually and quite rarely). Hence the best would be to locate the missing/changed files and get that from the backup file.
GuidanceReader
that repaired my customer details, so that when I go into opencart admin, it shows my customers and my orders up to date, but now my website is not working and I am getting errors:

When going to http://readingsbycaroline.net/
Quote:
Notice: Error: Incorrect key file for table 'category'; try to repair it
Error No: 1034
SELECT * FROM category c LEFT JOIN category_description cd ON (c.category_id = cd.category_id) LEFT JOIN category_to_store c2s ON (c.category_id = c2s.category_id) WHERE c.parent_id = '0' AND cd.language_id = '1' AND c2s.store_id = '0' AND c.status = '1' ORDER BY c.sort_order, LCASE(cd.name) in /home/guidance/domains/readingsbycaroline.net/public_html/system/database/mysql.php on line 49

When in the admin section (of opencart), when I go to edit categories
Quote:
Notice: Error: Incorrect key file for table 'category'; try to repair it
Error No: 1034
DESC category linkto in /home/guidance/domains/readingsbycaroline.net/public_html/system/database/mysql.php on line 49

When I go to product, reviews, modules and store setting options (including multistore feature) all my data is deleted (including the stuff that I managed to recover from June).

These have been updated in the last week (from memory) but maybe not the last day. Where would I locate these?

If they are not relocatable, how can I restore the old data I had without removing the customer information that you have restored? (as the customer information is the most important parts I require)

Thank you

edited to add:

I've just been looking in php admin (which I am new to), and it appears that the following tables? are not up to date, or have errors:

category
category_description
category_to_layout
category_to_store
currency
product

The rest are either up to date or I don't know enough about them to know what the content is about or how it works.
Bondings
There seems to have been a severe problem with the customer table. In the end, I managed to repair it.

Could you please check the current situation. What is working and what isn't?
GuidanceReader
Everything is almost working as it should do.

In my admin side of things (on opencart) the functionality is good.
My customer details + order details are good.

I have no data for my categories or products, but that is okay, as I can manually put all that back in again without too much hassle.

In my store front side of things, however, the site (http://readingsbycaroline.net) is not showing my template, despite everything that I understand being as it should (there are template pages in my files and the admin store settings point to where they should).

Is there a way I can upload the SQL tables for categories and products from previous saves without affecting the customer and order tables?
GuidanceReader
And now, while visiting the website (both on store front and admin), I am getting this error:

Quote:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@readingsbycaroline.net to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Which happened as soon as 'what I thought' was removing the protection password that I put on (public_html) to stop people from purchasing items while I sorted out the issues (as the old database doesn't have my new prices)

Edit - I fixed this error...
Bondings
Yes that is possible, but might take some work.

You should start with the sql file containing all the sql queries to recreate the whole database. Create a copy of it, just keep the .sql extension. Open the copy with a plain text editor (not Word) like Notepad. Then remove all the sql statements that are about other tables. Save the file. Then flush the tables that you need to insert new data in. Import/execute the new sql file in phpMyAdmin.

About the internal server error, it is currently caused by the 4 last lines (the Auth ones) in your .htaccess file in the public_html directory (or one of them at least). Either comment them out (with a # before each line) or remove them.
Bondings
I noticed that the copy I made of previous database (before I uploaded the backup) is showing up in your DirectAdmin account as guidance_shop_previous.

If you are able to create a user for it (MySQL management) and are able to view it in phpMyAdmin, there might be an easier way to restore those tables. (I am not sure it will work, but it's worth a try.)

Anyway, if that works, you should go to the tables you need restored (like categories and products) and check if they are fine there. If yes, go to export and generate the .sql file of that table and do it for all tables you need. Then go to the guidance_shop database and import those files there (probably first flush those same tables as I'm not sure it will first remove the current data, if any).
GuidanceReader
Okay I think it will be much easier for me to re-input the categories and data from scratch and will allow me to reorganise some things I probably should do anyway (I do have a written plan so overall it's just time, not complexity).

So, the only issue I have, which you may be able to help me with is the fact that my storefront is not showing any of my template. I don't know how this works so wouldn't even have a clue how to put it back in. The template files are still in my directory and my admin says that the store front is pointing to the right place.

Are you able to help me with this? Or should I back up the SQL, reinstall Opencart and then restore the SQL?
GuidanceReader
Bondings wrote:
I noticed that the copy I made of previous database (before I uploaded the backup) is showing up in your DirectAdmin account as guidance_shop_previous.

If you are able to create a user for it (MySQL management) and are able to view it in phpMyAdmin, there might be an easier way to restore those tables. (I am not sure it will work, but it's worth a try.)

I have already done this

Bondings wrote:

Anyway, if that works, you should go to the tables you need restored (like categories and products) and check if they are fine there. If yes, go to export and generate the .sql file of that table and do it for all tables you need. Then go to the guidance_shop database and import those files there (probably first flush those same tables as I'm not sure it will first remove the current data, if any).

So will try this

Thanks
Bondings
About the templates, I don't know Opencart so I'm not really able to help much unless there is some specific error that you get. Maybe it is simply that you need some database entry and that one is missing? Is there a templates table maybe?

By the way, I'm sorry but I'm gone now until this evening so for more help you'll have to wait a bit.
GuidanceReader
No worries, I'll see what I can do.

I really appreciate the service you give and am very thankful for the help you have given me.

Thank you
GuidanceReader
I have put in a clean install of open cart and am now transferring file by file as it appears one of my files was causing the problem. I made a new database for it and then uploaded the one you repaired for me and it is working well.

I should be back up and running by the end of tomorrow. Thank you very much for your support. Do you have anywhere for donations? Or is there some way I can show my gratitude?
Bondings
No sorry we don't accept any donations. Just being active on our forums is more than enough. Very Happy
codemaster
Miss when you are finished I'd suggest you download a backup file in case something like this happens again.
GuidanceReader
Codemaster, I did have a backup file. It was just a month old. I am currently in China (as opposed to Australia) and everything is a bit more hectic in my life, so the backup was a little out of date.
codemaster
I'm currently in China for a business trip so I see how hectic life can be.
GuidanceReader
Where about in China are you? My husband is here on business, and I brought my hobby/business (that the website is for) with me, so feel like I am here on business too (not stopping me doing touristy stuff though). I'm staying in Beijing, the Chaoyang District.