FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Plans for copper plant project

inuyasha
News from China.org.cn

http://www.china.org.cn/environment/2012-07/04/content_25805757.htm
A city in China's southwest has scrapped plans for a copper alloy plant after thousands of people protested over possible health risks.

Up till now it seems people care more about how the gorvernment and police deal with the problem. Some residents are not so calm during the so-called "illegal" demonstration. But neither are some police. Conflicts was not expected but did happen.
I'm surprised the environment is much more valued in China than decades ago. But demonstrations are strictly managed and may not be allowed. Conflicts between the Chinese people and the government, I'm afraid, are more frequent perhaps.
deanhills
inuyasha wrote:
I'm surprised the environment is much more valued in China than decades ago.
I'm surprised as well. That is great news indeed! Cool
ocalhoun
inuyasha wrote:
I'm surprised the environment is much more valued in China than decades ago.

I'm not sure it's really the environment people are concerned about... probably more concerned about their own health. A poorly run (and in China, that seems likely) copper plant can put some nasty chemicals in the water, air, and/or ground... and that could be bad for the health of the local population.

I'm guessing most of them were fighting for their own well-being, not for the environment's sake.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I'm guessing most of them were fighting for their own well-being, not for the environment's sake.
Isn't that what most of us are doing any way? The environment being key to our own well-being?
coolclay
I don't mean to be rude but the Chinese standing up to anyone especially health related issues is a surprise to me too. I am glad things are finally changing over there. Not saying other countries haven't gone through the same issues during industrial growth, but the Chinese should have learned from everyone else's mistakes. Better late than never I guess!
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Isn't that what most of us are doing any way? The environment being key to our own well-being?

Take the key distinguishing factor like this...

Should (insert not overly significant wilderness land here) be torn up, leveled and planted with crops?
The denser, irrigated crops will provide much more food, as well as removing much more CO2 from the atmosphere. They'll also provide more jobs than any similar sized area of wilderness.

If you're fighting for the environment for the environment's sake, you'll say no; it should stay wilderness unless we absolutely have to have the extra farmland to survive. (And maybe not even then, depending on how adamant you are about it.)

If you're fighting for the environment for self-serving reasons, what's the issue? Making it into farmland will be better for everyone. (By which they mean every human, casually disregarding the plants and animals living there already.)

Basically, it boils down to: Does a given tree, or bush, or fish, or squirrel, or whatever, have an intrinsic right to live, or is their existence only justified to the extent that they benefit humankind?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Basically, it boils down to: Does a given tree, or bush, or fish, or squirrel, or whatever, have an intrinsic right to live, or is their existence only justified to the extent that they benefit humankind?
Well said. Looks however that humans are so much out to deplete resources for survival, I guess we won't ever be able to save the environment. Wonder for how long we'll be able to eat fresh salmon from the ocean. I guess one of these days all of it will be cultivated in artificial farms. Ditto chicken, etc. etc.

Can't believe they're not doing something about the world population. I'd say that would be a major key to conserve resources.
cfvergara
deanhills wrote:
Can't believe they're not doing something about the world population. I'd say that would be a major key to conserve resources.

Any attempt to do something about it will inevitably be tainted either by people with leverage, people with eugenics in mind, or both.

Maybe our best shot, regardless of how non-serious this sounds is both getting real good at aerospace sciences and at the same time greatly pushing at government level for sustainable technologies while we watch our world silently die (die as in become only as varied as is useful, as well as polluted and probably only with as much minerals as is too expensive to extract)

Oh, and according to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3URdEzlKQ we may also shave a good part of our greenhouse emissions by destroying all cattle and then feeding off of something more helpful, like, idk, either our own dead or maybe a combination of all other edible meats put together
ocalhoun
cfvergara wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Any attempt to do something about it will inevitably be tainted either by people with leverage, people with eugenics in mind, or both.

There are other options...
-Strive to provide education and access to birth control everywhere, but especially in places with high population growth and lacking these things.
-Make sure the message spreads that one of the very best things you can do to 'live green' is: make fewer babies... By settling for one child instead of two, you'll save more resources than you could possibly do otherwise, no matter how 'green' you lived.
Quote:

Oh, and according to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3URdEzlKQ we may also shave a good part of our greenhouse emissions by destroying all cattle and then feeding off of something more helpful, like, idk, either our own dead or maybe a combination of all other edible meats put together

Well that's rather... drastic.

Also, there are some health issues involved with cannibalism... as well as moral issues, when you consider that it would then become profitable for people to die. Just imagine that being abused.

And anyway, I don't think global warming is the most important or most urgent environmental issue we have today. Though the transition may be rough, the earth can thrive again just fine once it stabilizes and adapts to a new global average temperature. There would be significant short-term issues, but long-term, it wouldn't be that big of a problem. (That, and I suspect that there is a self-regulatory system involved that hasn't been discovered or understood yet... Something natural that will kick in to reduce greenhouse gasses once some critical point is reached.)

Depletion of the land by over-intensive farming is one more urgent problem, as is overfishing (and wasteful fishing) in many parts of the ocean and of many different species of fish. As the gulf oil spill demonstrated, safety concerns in oil drilling and transportation are also a more urgent concern. Then, of course, there's also the straight up deforestation and destruction of habitats to create land for human farms and homes. (Which also isn't helping the greenhouse issue at all.)
In many parts of the world, both developed and developing, pollution of inland waterways is also a major problem.

But -- as I'm fond of pointing out -- just about every environmental problem could be at least partially alleviated by a reduced human population.
deanhills
Probably a bit unethical to think this way but now and then I can't help but think that if one animal species should become dominant to the extent that it may threaten other species, then humans usually hunt them as a planned project so as to lessen their numbers. Humans have never hunted their own species however. Nor are remotely doing enough to reduce their over population of the earth.
SonLight
From one point of view, "we" -- being those from the highly developed countries -- are the "good guys", because our populations are stable or even declining in a few cases. From another point of view, "we" are consuming the same amount of natural resources as many more people from underdeveloped countries.

One catch is, we all need to work toward better living standards for everyone, and that means the draw on resources will become much greater. That is now happening in countries like China, where they are industrializing much faster than they are dealing with pollution issues.
deanhills
SonLight wrote:
One catch is, we all need to work toward better living standards for everyone, and that means the draw on resources will become much greater. That is now happening in countries like China, where they are industrializing much faster than they are dealing with pollution issues.
Well said SonLight. Education is the key.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Humans have never hunted their own species however. Nor are remotely doing enough to reduce their over population of the earth.

Well, using a strict definition of 'hunt', no, human hunts are extremely rare.

We do tend to kill each other on purpose a lot though, even made many inventions to help us do so much more effectively.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
We do tend to kill each other on purpose a lot though, even made many inventions to help us do so much more effectively.
Haha! True, VERY true .... Laughing Think there are movies too where a great baddie mind worked on a scheme to completely delete most of the living so he could get the earth to be pristine again. Moonraker comes to mind.
coolclay
Soylent Green anyone?
silverdown
Very Happy awesome news , surprised they even considered it.
slimviking
inuyasha wrote:
News from China.org.cn

http://www.china.org.cn/environment/2012-07/04/content_25805757.htm
A city in China's southwest has scrapped plans for a copper alloy plant after thousands of people protested over possible health risks.

Copper alloys are something harmless rather other more harmful things that Chinese population are used to.
Lead paint in children's toys are ok for example
ocalhoun
slimviking wrote:

Copper alloys are something harmless

Of course they are.

But a copper plant has the potential to release byproducts and processing chemicals that are quite harmful.

The whole area around Anaconda, MT in the USA is poisoned due to copper mining byproducts.
capricornis
The encouraging fact is that people in China feel empowered enough to openly oppose the government