FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A few design suggestions.

pojr
I've been aware of Frihost for many years, but I've never really checked it out. The place has extremely nice hosting plans, and having to post only 5 times (along with earning 10 points) isn't bad at all. But there are some designing issues this site has that could be fixed.

1. A lot of websites have their own logos; not a big deal, but it would be cool. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but I'm not used to seeing no logo.
  2. Forum design could be improved. There seems to be no margin, so everything looks too cluttered for me. Also, some of the forums on the forum index page display diagonally instead of horizontally. Why is that? In my opinion, it looks worse.
  3. The design in general could be improved. There's so much gray, it looks bland. Design plays a big factor in attracting new members. While quality over quantity is true, unfortunately sometimes life is unfair.
  4. Upgrade the PhpBB forums. Why does Frihost use an outdated version of PhpBB? What is this? 2006?

That's all I have to say. I hope I didn't sound too harsh, I was only trying to help. When I overlook the design issues, I can tell that this is a pretty cool place to hang out, and a very efficient host.

Thanks in return.
Bondings
pojr wrote:
I've been aware of Frihost for many years, but I've never really checked it out. The place has extremely nice hosting plans, and having to post only 5 times (along with earning 10 points) isn't bad at all. But there are some designing issues this site has that could be fixed.

1. A lot of websites have their own logos; not a big deal, but it would be cool. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but I'm not used to seeing no logo.
  2. Forum design could be improved. There seems to be no margin, so everything looks too cluttered for me. Also, some of the forums on the forum index page display diagonally instead of horizontally. Why is that? In my opinion, it looks worse.
  3. The design in general could be improved. There's so much gray, it looks bland. Design plays a big factor in attracting new members. While quality over quantity is true, unfortunately sometimes life is unfair.
  4. Upgrade the PhpBB forums. Why does Frihost use an outdated version of PhpBB? What is this? 2006?

That's all I have to say. I hope I didn't sound too harsh, I was only trying to help. When I overlook the design issues, I can tell that this is a pretty cool place to hang out, and a very efficient host.

Thanks in return.

First of all, thank you for the feedback!

About the logo, it didn't really fit in the current header so that's why we currently don't have one. I realize a logo is needed and I'll add one when the whole top is changed (which is already planned for way too long).

The problem with the margin is a bug I still need to fix. The problem was that the fixes that I found, broke the design in some browsers. I'll definitely try to fix it as it is quite annoying. Although you get used to it (at least I forgot about it). It's more annoying in the blogs.

That the design needs more color - I definitely agree with that. Unfortunately this (and other things) take time, especially as I have other priorities at the moment.

Finally about the phpbb version. As much as I would like to upgrade to phpbb3, this is impossible in practice. These forums are heavily modified with regards to speed and functionality. I think that upgrading these to phpbb3 would take too long. What I can do (and planned, but never actually did) is to backport/implement some of the phpbb3 features/code (like the editing).
pojr
Thanks for the fast reply. This is quite an active site, I must say.

Anyway, I understand. So many other things that have to be done, like making hosting accounts for people like me, making other updates for the site, making sure every things works properly, etc. So there's no rush.
rjraaz
Bondings wrote:
Finally about the phpbb version. As much as I would like to upgrade to phpbb3, this is impossible in practice. These forums are heavily modified with regards to speed and functionality. I think that upgrading these to phpbb3 would take too long. What I can do (and planned, but never actually did) is to backport/implement some of the phpbb3 features/code (like the editing).

Sorry, Bondings but I am not able to understand the problems you stated here regarding phpbb version up-gradation. What were the actual problem you faced while trying to upgrade.

Could you please explain those here or throw PM. Hope you do not mind. I just want to get know about the actual problems while upgradation of phpbb.
Bondings
@rjraaz, I changed a lot of things on the phpbb2 source code. First a lot of speed improvements. Secondly a lot of extra features like the blogs, the awits, the hosting request system and user management (for the staff) and probably a lot more small stuff. All those are made with phpbb2 code and it would require a ton of work to make them work with phpbb3.
rjraaz
Ok, Bondings thanks for your reply. Truly I accept that I love frihost because of speed and can understand how much hard work you did to make frihost up and fast.

One more query, Are you really interested in upgrading version of forum? Actually I have read in some old post that you are not interested to upgrade forum script.

Sorry, again. It is really very hard and dangerous to interact with boss directly.
Bondings
No I'm not really interested.
rjraaz
Bondings wrote:
No I'm not really interested.

Yes I am also agree with. And feels there is no need to upgrade the forum script unless and until old script have any security or privacy issue.
share55555
reading this forum helps a lot. thanks for the people like you!
inuyasha
Very Happy I think Frihost works fine with phpBB2 currently~
amagard
I think performance is what really counts and I actually love Frihost because it is fast and thin and the forum is really usable. I have turned away from other hosting sites because their forum was so slow and bloated with all sorts of ads and flash and other annoying stuff drawing your focus away from the essential content.
milkshake01
I strongly agree that the design has to be improved. What about a competition for forum designs. The best design could be implemented into Frihost.
ibraltan1
It must be easy to understand the approach of management. The internet and computer world have countless examples of crises resulting from upgrade attempts for software or hardware.

It is sad to say that goodwill and desire to be better do not guarantee marvellous outcomes. Such attempts may produce much more problems than they solve.

This does not mean that eyes must be closed to demand for any kind of improvement. What is important is that whether there would be a really big value added that compensate the cost and the risk undertaken or not. If not, life is beautiful as it is.

However some minor adjustments like a better configuration of subheadings could be done. Nevertheless, this requires some precious working hours.
Cool
Ghost Rider103
amagard wrote:
I think performance is what really counts and I actually love Frihost because it is fast and thin and the forum is really usable. I have turned away from other hosting sites because their forum was so slow and bloated with all sorts of ads and flash and other annoying stuff drawing your focus away from the essential content.

This is pretty much spot on. Ive been on a lot of other forums, non-hosting related and most are slow and do feel somewhat "bloated" and bogged down. Frihost feels so quick! For this reason I would be skeptical about upgrading the forum system. The forums run fine the way they are. I really don't see an urgent need to upgrade.

Now I do see a very large need to update the look of the site. We all know this though. Smile
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Now I do see a very large need to update the look of the site. We all know this though. Smile
Absolutely agreed on this Ghost. Doesn't have to be earth shattering new, just a little minor touch here and there. Starting with updating all of the information on the contents page first. Then the FAQs, TOS, etc.