FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

1.2 Terabytes not big enough for a 4.3 GB file?

ocalhoun
I'm having a very peculiar problem.
(on Windows XP SP4)

I have a 4.5GB file on my internal hard drive (which has 460 GB of free space) to my external USB hard drive, which has 1.2TB of free space.

And I'm getting an error that says, "There is not enough free disk space." and offers to start the disk cleanup wizard.

I've already emptied the recycle bin for that drive and tried again, same error.
I've moved several other files (just as big), and they transferred just fine.

So, I say, WTF?
ocalhoun
Oh, found it myself.

The destination file system was FAT32.
Converting it to NTFS allowed it to handle that file size for an individual file, and now it's transferring nicely.

(Though they definitely could have given me a more descriptive and accurate error message! Looking at you Microsoft!)

Anyway, I guess I'll leave this here in case anybody else has this problem in the future, then they can see what the solution is.
Josso
Explain this one.

Left my pc on downloading stuff to a 2tb hardrive. Got back in the morning had an error message say there wasn't enough space. Then I opened my firefox and the tabs had gone back to what they were 3 days ago. Then everything freaked out it was a near freeze but I managed to close everything down and it stopped. Coincidently (maybe) it was about the same time that the data useage on the hardrive went over 1tb.

*MICROSOFT X-FILES*
Marcuzzo
Josso wrote:
Explain this one.

Left my pc on downloading stuff to a 2tb hardrive. Got back in the morning had an error message say there wasn't enough space. Then I opened my firefox and the tabs had gone back to what they were 3 days ago. Then everything freaked out it was a near freeze but I managed to close everything down and it stopped. Coincidently (maybe) it was about the same time that the data useage on the hardrive went over 1tb.

1. what were you downloading?
2. how were you downloading ( browser, extention, torrent, ect...)?
3. what was the size of the file you were downloading?
Josso
Marcuzzo wrote:
Josso wrote:
Explain this one.

1. what were you downloading?
2. how were you downloading ( browser, extention, torrent, ect...)?
3. what was the size of the file you were downloading?

1. Can't remember
2. Firefox w/ downloadthemall addon
3. Can't remember

Doesn't matter as it was all resolved in 5 mins but yeah I was just bemused by the chain reaction of issues.