FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows does not recognize blank dvd

Modulator
If anyone has a solution to my situation, I would be grateful. I recently removed Roxio Easy CD Creator basic program that came w/my Pacific Digital external DVD-RW drive. I did this because I bought Nero Ultra Edition 6.6 and no longer needed the program. However, ever since I removed the program, Windows XP tells me that my cd/dvd drive is a cd drive when I place a blank dvd in it. Now, my Nero program recognizes that there is a blank disc and everything else seems to be functioning properly. It is just an OCD characteristic that I have in that it is an annoyance to know that Windows XP is not functioning properly.
Xcelerate
Did uninstalling it remove a driver from your system? You could try readding it and seeing if a driver appears.
SoftStag
It sounds like Nero does not recognise your drive. This is probably because the drive is newer than the version of software you purchased. What you need to do is download the updates for the Nero software and it should then recognise the drive. Doing this will also ensure you have the latest version with full functionality and any bug fixes implemented.

You can download the updates from here:
http://www.nero.com/nero6/eng/nero-up.php
mwm
Actually, sounds like a hardware driver issue, not software I think. I would completely remove the device (DVD-RW) in Device Manager. Rebbot the machine and the device should be detected by plug and play. If windows knows what it is it will install the driver and all will be good. If this a newer drive you may want to download current drivers from the manufacturer and point to them during the installation of the device after detection.

-mwm
gnomme
Modulator wrote:
If anyone has a solution to my situation, I would be grateful. I recently removed Roxio Easy CD Creator basic program that came w/my Pacific Digital external DVD-RW drive. I did this because I bought Nero Ultra Edition 6.6 and no longer needed the program. However, ever since I removed the program, Windows XP tells me that my cd/dvd drive is a cd drive when I place a blank dvd in it. Now, my Nero program recognizes that there is a blank disc and everything else seems to be functioning properly. It is just an OCD characteristic that I have in that it is an annoyance to know that Windows XP is not functioning properly.

do you try to upgrade de firmware of the device?? Idea
gnomme
Modulator wrote:

do you try to upgrade de firmware of the device?? Idea
Prabhu Raj
Modulator wrote:

This is absolutely normal for windows xp. You must know that although windows has a CDwriter program inbuilt, it cannot recognise a blank dvd. Atleast when you connect the DVD drive in externally. By default windows xp doesnt support the dvd writing and the file system of the blank dvd has not been determined, windows will only show the dvd drive as a cd drive when you place the blank dvd. You need to use the third party softwares like nero or roxio applications to recognise the type of disk that has been put in the writer and then you write to the disk.

So do not be alarmed. Coz this isnt a problem.

Have a nice day.
Regards
Prabhu Raj
Modulator
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'll work on everyone's imput and see what I can come up with and reply back.

Thanks again,

Modulator
ocalhoun
Modulator wrote:
It is just an OCD characteristic that I have in that it is an annoyance to know that Windows XP is not functioning properly.

Windows, not functioning properly? That's a suprise! Liar
Prabhu Raj
Hello PPL,
Almost everywhere i go i see ppl moaning about how windows operating systems are not good enough. Well remember this ALL OPERATING SYSTEMS HAS THEIR OWN ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES. Yes windows is unsecure and linux/unix/solaris is secure when compared to windows but no other operating system has even come close to windows in user friendliness and hardware support. Very few DVD drives are supported even in the latest version of redhat linux (that is when compared to windows). So ppl instead of seeing a black dot in the white paper see the rest of the white paper.

If it isnt for windows operating system computers wouldnt be widely used and if the computers isnt widely used you would be getting a desktop for 3000 USD and laptops for 10000 USD.

Windows has basically brought computers to many middle class homes which other operating systems could never acheive.

Most people who complain about windows are practically using windows. Just because they couldnt get things working their way doesnt mean windows is faulty.

First learn to administer your windows XP by getting your MCP (obtain it not by using the dumps but use their study guide.) only then you can know the true features of windows XP.

For everyones information Those who complain about windows are the wannabe network engineers or hardware engineers or hackers or crackers.

So get a life. dont complain instead accept things the way they are. not what u want them to be.

It is easy to complain but it takes hell lot of time, money, people,etc to create something. First you create something only then you will realize how hard it is. Afterall it is us humans who create things and they cannot be perfect but we should try our best to make things perfect. not complain.

Just because i favour windows doesnt mean i am related to windows or microsoft. I like windows. I also like linux.

Hope everyone understand.

With warm regards
Prabhu Raj
bananaphone
Its probably window's fault - windows has problems with DVDs. Try reinstalling roxio etc.