FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PSU size

Sh3raz
Hey,

Im going to buy a new PSU so that I can upgrade my GPU.
Looking around I quite like this one:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/18832167/ ... d:18832167

however Im wondering about the physical size of the thing. The width and height arn't an issue but the depth..160mm. My case JUST about goes in 160mm...give or take a few mm. Is that acceptable? If it fits itll probably be touching the case? or am I supposed to give it some sort of leeway. My PC is one of those that has the PSU slotted at the top. and taking a look...should the fan be facing down onto the system or up into the case top?

If I will need a new case any recommendations/pointers?

Thanks very much
weableandbob
The link you gave appears to be broken. However, I assume you're using an ATX power supply currently and are going to be upgrading to another ATX PSU. As far as I know, every ATX power supply will fit in a case designed for ATX components, and it's normal to have almost no extra room around the sides if your case is small.

As for the orientation of the fan, you generally want it facing outwards, not inwards. Most stand-alone cases have the PSU on the bottom, which then allows the fan to work through mesh/grating/etc. on the bottom of the case. Cases from companies like Dell, HP, etc. generally have the PSU on the top and have it oriented so that the fan is facing inwards since there are no ventilation holes on the top of the case. This doesn't inherently cause any problems, but it will make the inside of the case a bit hotter, so make sure it's well ventilated.

Whether you need a new case mainly depends on how much extra heat the new GPU will be putting out and what case you currently have. If you can tell me what you have, I can tell you whether you should get a new case or not.